The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-28-2020, 02:18 PM

Default Fingerstyle/fingerpicking, or "learning to play for the first time again"

I have historically played GA sizes, and my strumming/rhythm playing is suited for that, and dreads as well. But with my OM/000/00 and short scale acquisitions, I've decided that I need to really bear down and learn different fingerpicking/fingerstyle techniques to really make the best use of the smaller body/shorter scale guitars.

I've started with some very helpful videos of Tommy Emmanuel, breaking down the basics, which have been helpful. But in my forties...I'm not picking it up as fast as I would have in my teens and twenties. This has been a rough first couple of days, it's like I'm relearning the instrument all over again.

The good news is that when I make little milestones, like pulling off a decent thumb rhythm while arpeggiating with my fingers...the serotonin definitely starts flowing in the ol' noggin.

Starting on this new journey is humbling, to say the least.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-28-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

LM32--Just wanted to encourage you to stick with it. It takes time, lots of time. Don't expect too much too soon. Don't expect anything and you will be pleasantly surprised

I was pushing 60 when I made the leap into this style. It's not been easy, but 3 and half years later I'm more enthused about playing than ever. It is well worth your time and effort!
Old 09-28-2020, 02:58 PM

Default Mix it Up

Just because you go finger style, don't forget about the occasional strum.

The back strum, the up strum, the down strum, the nail strum, the flesh strum ad nauseum.

Once you go finger style, the opportunities and tone generation becomes ENDLESS.

Enjoy the new journey and never too late to start.

MGF
Old 09-28-2020, 03:06 PM

Thanks both of you. For both personal and work reasons, I cannot grow out the nails on my right hand, so yesterday I picked up a Golden Gate thumbpick and some Dunlop steel fingerpicks and I have to say...once I got over the disconcerting feel of them...the tone is amazing! I had always been jealous watching videos of fingerstylists getting that sweet, sharp tone from their nails, or hardened pads on their right hand, and only occasionally getting that from mine (usually more mushy sounding).

Now with the thumb/fingerpicks, I am getting that same tone! (skill still leaves a lot to be desired lol).

And even in my brief beginner time, the 000/00 are really shining, especially the 00 with cocobolo. That small but potent beast was just made for fingerstyle, and the sound I get using the picks carries for days, and I can clearly hear the cocobolo tone difference all the more while fingerpicking.
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-28-2020, 03:29 PM

If you have any interest in fingerstyle blues, and top-notch guitar instruction, check out Fretboard Confidential. I got the recommendation here on AGF a few months ago, and it's been incredibly helpful and fun.

There's a bunch of free content, but you can also sign up for his paid Fingerstyle Five monthly program - the current signup period ends tomorrow.

https://www.fretboardconfidential.com/
Old 09-28-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfinger McGee View Post
If you have any interest in fingerstyle blues, and top-notch guitar instruction, check out Fretboard Confidential. I got the recommendation here on AGF a few months ago, and it's been incredibly helpful and fun.

There's a bunch of free content, but you can also sign up for his paid Fingerstyle Five monthly program - the current signup period ends tomorrow.

https://www.fretboardconfidential.com/
Thanks for this! Unfortunately I’m so early on in my finger style path that I’ll have to wait a bit before tackling this. Just enjoying what I’m learning so far even though it’s frustrating when my fingers (mostly my thumb) won’t keep time like I want it to.
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-28-2020, 08:52 PM

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Keep trucking, you'll get better.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:11 AM

Couple of books I found helpfull

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1cjrjEFanL.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1517257252
Old 09-29-2020, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

I can completely relate to what you said about how the "little milestones" energize you. I made the switch from strumming to fingerstyle playing a while ago and if I sit back and think about all the things I still have yet to learn, I get overwhelmed. So I don't use the "big picture" as a way to measure my progress. I really enjoy and appreciate my little steps, the little milestones.

And I've got to agree with MGF.... As you transition into fingerstyle, don't neglect the occasional strum. So important to keep up the skills you already have.

Good luck!

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Thanks for this! Unfortunately I’m so early on in my finger style path that I’ll have to wait a bit before tackling this. Just enjoying what I’m learning so far even though it’s frustrating when my fingers (mostly my thumb) won’t keep time like I want it to.
Approx 400 lifetimes are needed to get fingerpicking down! Take your time and take it slow....

David Hamburger has some easier older material in various books and on Truefire for beginning fingerpicking/blues. etc....

Stefan Grossman has bucket loads of easy to very, very hard on his site. It is worth reading FIRST his "The Learning Process" if you haven't already:

https://www.guitarvideos.com/the-learning-process, then do everything he tells you!

BluesKing777.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the encouragement and links to resources to improve my playing! Yeah, I'm not one of those natural geniuses so it's going to take me some time, but I've learned to enjoy the little milestones along the way. And before you know it, after enough time, those little milestones add up to something big.
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-30-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Thanks for the encouragement and links to resources to improve my playing! Yeah, I'm not one of those natural geniuses so it's going to take me some time, but I've learned to enjoy the little milestones along the way. And before you know it, after enough time, those little milestones add up to something big.
Here is a video of David Hamburger talking or promoting his lessons membership - I am not saying to buy in, but listen to him talk for a bit of inspiration and direction for learning...have a look at all his free fingerpicking videos as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox0KF-_TMjU

BluesKing777.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

One of my biggest break throughs in finger style was realizing that I can learn anything if I go slow enough.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-30-2020, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Here is a video of David Hamburger talking or promoting his lessons membership - I am not saying to buy in, but listen to him talk for a bit of inspiration and direction for learning...have a look at all his free fingerpicking videos as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox0KF-_TMjU

BluesKing777.
I will endorse David’s program. I’ve been at it for a couple of months and I’m beginning to see a way past my dependence on tab. Not a quick and easy way, but a way… He teaches a song a month, but it’s really about a learning a method as opposed to just memorization (Not that there’s anything wrong with that).
Old 09-30-2020, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
One of my biggest break throughs in finger style was realizing that I can learn anything if I go slow enough.
Thanks for that, Barry. I may tape it to my mirror. I’m trying to learn Larry Pattis’s DADGAD arrangement of Ashokan Farewell which is way above my level at any speed, but slow certainly working better than fast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write