The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-07-2005, 11:38 AM

I was 11. That was almost 40 years ago, but you couldn't tell by my playing. I'm what I like to call a perpetual intermediate.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:39 AM

I started at 15 (32 years ago). Wow, times flies.

Anyway, I learned more in the 1st 2-4 years than at any other time. I wish I would have taken lessons back then (I am self taught). It's much harder to make time for practice now.

I consider myself an intermediate player. Pretty good on rhythm, a lot of work to do on lead. I play a little finger style, but travis picking is not my thing. I play mostly Christian stuff these days, but lean toward rock in musical style.

1997 Taylor 814ce
Goodall AKJ
Old 01-07-2005, 11:45 AM

33 which was about 7 months ago.

I just wish I'd started earlier.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc morris

I'd say I'm as average player, not nearly as good as some on this forum (stream a couple of Jim Tozier's songs and try not to cry). I'm pretty comforatble with what I can do, but I'm nowhere near as versitle as I hoped I'd be this many years later. I feel that I play with soul though, which is more important than technique IMO.
Hey...who said you could come over here and post too?

As for me, I started at 40 and I'm 43 now. Doing a lot better since I acquired a real guitar (my '91 410) 6 months ago.

Robert
Old 01-07-2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorrocks
Hey...who said you could come over here and post too?

As for me, I started at 40 and I'm 43 now. Doing a lot better since I acquired a real guitar (my '91 410) 6 months ago.

Robert
3 years? Huh? Piano playing wuss.....
Old 01-07-2005, 12:46 PM

Smile

I believe I was 14 years old when I started playing guitar. I had been taking piano for a few years. Once in high school, I began singing in the chorus and in my church choir. I began to play guitar as a way to accompany myself while singing.

As to my ability now, let's just say I have a lot of fun playing my guitars and singing. It really isn't all that important if I'm a great player or singer. What's important to me is that it makes me feel great inside. It's my relaxation and a way for me to express myself. I love making music. It's my pleasure and my joy. It's become a huge part of my life.

MAKE it a GREAT day!!!
Marge
And wrap it all around you." John Denver

Guitars: R.Taylors: Style I Brazillian/Sitka, Style I Quilted Mahogany/Swiss Moon Spruce; Taylors: JDCM, XXX-MC, 954ceL2, DDSM, XXXV-9string; Larrivee: koa/sitka parlor
Old 01-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Abdiel said:

"33 which was about 7 months ago.

I just wish I'd started earlier."

Hey, just be glad you started at all. 5, 10 years from now you wont be saying "I wish I had picked it up but I never did" like a lot of folks say...
Old 01-07-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic
I was 11. That was almost 40 years ago, but you couldn't tell by my playing. I'm what I like to call a perpetual intermediate.

Ditto for me except it was a little over 40 years ago. Started on baritone uke (still have it) and graduated to 6 string, the regressed to 4 string (bass) a few years later.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:05 PM

My grandmother gave me first guitar at 5. Started studying seriously at 10 and stopped taking formal lessons at 18. Was trained to be a jack of all trades player which I am still grateful for when I get thrown into different situations. Didn't start writing my own stuff until a couple of years ago (26) and am finishing up my first CD which should be out next month.

As to where I am now vs. before. My classical skills and reading have severely deteriorated b/c I don't get to use them enough, but I'm a much more solid overall player. If I can ever find a nice paying gig or some good session work I'd be out of my day job in a minute.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:25 PM

I was 10, around 1957. I liked it better an the accordian.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:39 PM

It looks like I'm the official newb here. I started 1 month ago (my 314 was my 26th birthday present to myself), and have been playing every day since.

I too am a piano playing wuss (20 years), which has made learning the guitar easier than it would have been otherwise and allowed me to start writing my first song last night.

I don't regret not starting earlier because I was happily banging away on the piano, but I'm really glad that I didn't wait any longer than I did. The fresh approach to music has really been good for me.

"Sing like you think no one is listening."
Old 01-07-2005, 02:04 PM

I was 15. That'll be 41 years in April. Got my first guitar on my birthday.

I guess intermediate level. I strum and do some fingerpicking. Good enough to sing with and play out in public.

Would love to be able to play some lead and improvise some.

I play daily, but mostly just to practice at my current level. I don't really work on too many new techniques. Probably ought to.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdiel
33 which was about 7 months ago.

I just wish I'd started earlier.
You sure have some pretty nice guitars for a guy who just started 7 months ago!

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 01-07-2005, 02:24 PM

I was ten when started learning. I'm 30 now. I have only had two years worth of lessons, the rest of those 20 years I've just been winging it. I should technically be better than I am but I have my own style and play my own songs and am not limited by sub standard Van Halen guitar solos.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/matthicksmusic.htm

Gretsch G3100 Hawaiian
Old 01-07-2005, 02:29 PM

I was about 10, but I didn't learn much at first. I think I play fairly well now. Here's an acoustic example (8MB):

http://www.rockerbob.com/mp3/DifferentTimes3-HQ.mov

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell