The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Classical right hand question

Do you rest your arm on the guitar or float it? In most videos it seems the player rests the right arm on the guitar, but I've found that for quick runs across the strings (high e to low e direciton) if my arm is on the guitar it throws the run off. I was experimenting tonight floating my arm and it does make it alot easier. What does everyone else do?

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Rest most of the time and float when needed. There is no single "right" for every player. What is always true is to expend as little energy as possible to get the job done. Keep tension out of arms, wrists and fingers.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Was Sceptical. Unsure now

I float. But mainly because I like to move position over the soundhole at times - sometimes 'north' of the soundhole towards the neck for the sweet spot, sometimes 'south' back towards the bridge for a little classical-Strat bite! without dragging my arm along the wood.

I think the trick, long-term is to put all your energy (motion) into the wrist down to the fingers and not move your arm at all. I agree, a floating position is easier to put your hand at the ready all the time.
"The only real voyage consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes; in seeing the universe through the eyes of another, one hundred others--in seeing the hundred universes that each of them sees." - Marcel Proust.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Okay, thanks guys.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Hi Barry...
Depends on the guitar, the passage in question and whether I'm sitting or standing. I've made it a point to experiment with playing well no matter which guitar or whether sitting/standing.

When I have a choice, I choose the most relaxed position possible, which means placing the guitar by the knee and leaning the upper bout on the bass side against my breast-bone. This permits the plucking arm to barely rest against the bass-side lower bout and keeps my hand in proper position to address the strings well.

But when we stand to do Worship Team that all goes out the window, and I strap up so it replicates the angle of when I'm sitting but the guitar is much flatter against the body and I compensate pretty well.

We humans are certainly capable of doing things well more than one way given enough practice and freedom from injury...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Larry.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-29-2009, 11:39 AM

I rest most of the time and float when needed. Alot of classical players wear a sleeve or sock on their forearm to reduce friction. I think. Or perhaps its to avoid staining the guitar with arm sweat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write