The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-16-2008, 04:12 PM

Default Help with Strumming Pattern of "Rock Star" by Nickelback

Could some one please help me with the strumming pattern for Rock Star by Nickelback?

I believe the first few chord progressions are G-C-F. However, I can't seem to figure out the strumming. I believe the song is in 4/4 time, but it does not appear the be a struming pattern that has a combination of 4 strums (1 up and down per strum) per bar but rather 6 or 8.

If someone could give me the Up (U), Down (D), Skips (S) of the strum pattern I'd apreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:23 PM

Uh, I'm not sure of the actual strumming, it's not something you can really explain.. you just have to hear it and replicate it.

But the song is in 4/4, the progression goes G-C-F-G. Then G-C-F-G again. So both the first part and the last part are on the same chord (G). Hope that makes it a little less confusing
Old 03-16-2008, 08:28 PM

Down, rest, Down, rest, up down up down up down, rest, down, up, (repeat with down)

So basically, 1st beat = down, 2nd beat = down, pick up the next beat with an up stoke and do an eighth note rhythm in the 3rd beat, rest for most of the 4th beat, then pick up the next beat with a down up leading into the 1st beat again.

at least, that's how I hear it

Hope that's clear.

Last edited by JustJeff; 03-16-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:28 PM

Thanks so much I'll give that a try.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Try a C/G cord in place of the C. Same open C cord except adding the low G note (6th string, 3rd fret).

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 03-21-2008, 07:09 AM

Default My first Aha moment.

So I know have the opportunity to share rather than just ask questions. I finally hit and aha moment and think I have found the pattern that works for me and matches the song.

It's:

D DU UD DUD

Done is 4/4 time if that seems rational. As always, thoughts and comments are welcome.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell