The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-15-2021, 07:48 PM

Default Good Riddance - Green Day - Fingerstyle

This is one of the first songs I learned the guitar part to when I started playing. Personally, I felt it would make a good Valentine's Day song so I arranged a fingerstyle version yesterday, but couldn't record it until today. Although I've always liked this song, I always felt that the melody and lyrics don't really match the name of the song that well.

I'll add tabs if anyone is interested

https://youtu.be/kJsP2Men2G0

Last edited by Acousticado; 02-15-2021 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Fixed video link for you
Old 02-15-2021, 09:33 PM

Nice Pickin'
Old 02-16-2021, 07:43 AM

Great cover and arrangement! Yeah, I remember reading Billy Joe wrote that about a bad breakup with a then girlfriend. I believe the line "I hope you had the time of your life" was meant as sarcasm. Also, first time they performed it in public, it was as an encore and he had to chug a couple of beers backstage before he could work up the nerve to do it, since it was so unlike anything any of their audience had heard before.

Last edited by PajamasMusic; 02-16-2021 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:52 PM

Interesting story. It would seem either the title or the lyrics as a whole would certainly have to be sarcasm to become congruent. Drinking is definitely good for that! I have to present science in front of large audiences frequently and used to empty out cans of coke to refill with wine so that I could drink during some of the more daunting presentations lol
Old 02-17-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetPreston View Post
Interesting story. It would seem either the title or the lyrics as a whole would certainly have to be sarcasm to become congruent. Drinking is definitely good for that! I have to present science in front of large audiences frequently and used to empty out cans of coke to refill with wine so that I could drink during some of the more daunting presentations lol
Yeah, "Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial" loosely translated to me reads, "I really wish now I hadn't gotten her name inked onto my chest"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell