The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-30-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
Practice with in the dark until you no longer need to see your fret board.
I used to practice in the dark. I am okay until I need to slide way up the neck for a solo....then I like the reassurance of seeing where I am going, especially if I need to get there quick. I also noticed that I tend to look where I am going if I play inversions up the neck. Once I am there, I am okay. Maybe I need to practice getting up the neck for a solo n the dark too. Thank you for the reply.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
go with a Miners Helmet! you'll be all the rage!
Yes.....I most likely would be....haha.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

A dab of glow in the dark paint over the side markers. You could apply a bit of masking tape first and put the paint dots on that.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Have you ever been in an audience and find the performers looking at you? Thinking I'm not looking at them again because it's creepy? Then you look around and find that you are the only one looking at the performers.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-30-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Well, a bit of ambient lighting would be just the thing... I've seen folks use candles, sometimes in decorative bags placed around the stage... of course, some "real" lighting would work, but,,, too much of pita for me to deal with...

I use my side markers a lot - I'm 69 and the yes are still good, but not as good as they once were! Funny, I had James Goodall build me a sweet little Grand Concert; I had all the woods figured out and I decided that I "didn't need" fretboard position markers... after all, I've been playing forever, I'm pretty darned good at it, I don't have to look at my fretboard when I play (normally)...

Come to find out that, in low light? I had a heck of a time with that aspect of that guitar. It was "just enough different" from my main guitar of 35 years that I was thrown off entirely when it got too dark!

Anyway... use your position markers if you have to - always better to have the feel and touch dialed in so well that looking at your fretboard isn't all that necessary...
Great thoughts for me to consider. Thank you.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
There are all kinds of lighting that attaches to your mic or music stand. The lighting is focused and strong enough to light up music or your guitar neck if needed without blinding you. I use two of them on my music stand or accessories or mic stand. Just google musician lights. Orchestra and ensemble musicians use them all the time.
A nice low light without blinding me when I try to see the audience beyond the light. Good info. Thank you.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Picked up one of these a while back - a great option for many scenarios....probably work great for your needs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the link.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write