The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-26-2018, 06:12 PM

Default I hope you can attend a live guitar workshop - it’s a game changer

I had the pleasure of attending a workshop with Toby Walker this weekend and once again, was not disappointed. I have taken three workshops over the last three years and after each one, my skills have been sharpened and my ears tuned.

This will pertain to Toby, but there are many other great teachers out there. Toby chooses fingerstyle pieces that can be played at many levels. He teaches the framework and then the embellishments. I love the fact that he is not a stickler, as he knows that the real learning will occur after the weekend, when you review the tab and videos that he has provided. He’s taught me a ton of technique that would have been hard to assemble in any other way. Plus he realizes that there are many paths to mastery.

But there’s more. At any workshop, you share commonalities with the other students. You trade licks and stories, and everyone lusts after each other’s instruments. In fact, you will get to play these guitars in “the wild”! What a blast.

An overnight workshop takes you away from the routine; you are able to separate yourself from the normal routine and concentrate solely on your playing.

I am indeed fortunate that I could do this and afford it too. I can’t recommend it enough. IMO, it will be one of your best experiences and investments as you aim towards mastery of the instrument.

Best,

Rick

Last edited by srick; 08-26-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:19 PM
Guest 33123

Was it at FPR?
Old 08-27-2018, 07:20 PM

This one was at a private residence in southern Vermont. FPR would be an incredible trip, but it would be very selfish on my part. A weekend session in close proximity to home base 1.5 hours) fits the bill beautifully.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

I took a workshop with Toby in NJ when I was living up north. The info is like the gift that keeps giving. I find I can go back to the info and incorporate it into a jam or a song I’m working on, especially when I feel my playing is getting a little stale.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write