The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-23-2015, 08:52 PM

Late to this, but the instrumental surf music classic "Point Panic" is a i iv v in the key of F. Wahoo!
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 12-30-2015, 07:28 PM

Default Key of F

When I was just learning, no one thought to tel me to avoid F. It was just another key once I got to a certain spot in my abilities. I use it on quite a number of songs now, sometimes to the disgust of those who jam with me. One thing I like about it is that I have the choice of playing the F's and Bb's either barred or wrapped. If you wrap your thumb, it's quicker. If you bar, it's cleaner.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
F's a great key. Keep practicing.
agreed,,,,,,, and a great key to sing in.

I don't know why some folk get so intimidated over F, or barre chords in general for that matter. I think some people just convince themselves that it's hard,,,, when in reality, it simply may be "different" from what they ordinarily do. A few afternoons of practice should be all that's needed,,,,,, as long as the guitar is properly set up.

As a beginner (some 50 years ago), I too was somewhat intimidated by barre chords, and the "dreaded F", and the biggest hindrance was unfamiliarity with the chords,,,, and playing instruments with poor action height,,,, especially at the nut,,,or,,,, using heavier gauge strings than necessary.

Getting comfortable with barre chords opens up so many possibilities for progressing to more complex tunes, especially where key changes occur mid-tune.

A great pop tune for practicing barre chords is "New Kid In Town" (Eagles). Three-chord tunes often bore me to death.

Get that guitar properly set-up,,,, and welcome, rather than avoid barre chords.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write