The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-02-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Not being a BMI member, I can't speak to that. I know that they have a different survey and distribution model from ASCAP's--I believe that BMI surveys all spins and pays annually, but ASCAP surveys a selection of stations and pays quarterly, and all things turn out about equal in the end.
I was just thinking, Sandy, that if you switched to BMI you'd be able to have your songs registered and play the unlicensed venues, waiving license fees on your own (publishing rights controlled) songs. The only possible problem that I see (from the info in bagelsgirl's thread) is that you may be required to inform BMI, in writing, that you've made such a deal. If that's the case, it would be the equivalent of "ratting out" unlicensed venues as BMI would be tipped off that the venue exists and may be worth putting an ear to. From bagelsgirl's thread, however, its still unclear to me if the BMI-affiliated performer herself/himself must notify BMI of any waiver given to an unlicensed venue. For an originals-only artist, or an originals & public domain-only artist, it might be worth an inquiry to BMI to clarify that point.

Regarding your earlier comment about breaking into the songwriting biz by getting a tune recorded and released by a name artist, it usually happens differently for the struggling writers who manage to break in. More often, they'll have their early successes with newer artists. They'll network and possibly co-write with many new artists and finally get a their "big break" when one of those new artists manages to break thru - or at least get the attention of higher-ups.

A case in point would be Don Schlitz who wrote "The Gambler". That song was first recorded and released by one of his songwriting buddies (and aspiring artist) Hugh Moffatt. It then got the attention of Johnny Cash who recorded and released it. It finally got the attention of Kenny Rodgers who had the commercial success with it.

Even after his huge success with the Gambler, and despite being absolutely revered by many in the Nashville songwriting community, Schlitz was considered a "one hit wonder" by the Nashville big wheels 'til a few years later when he and his co-writer Paul Overstreet started having consistent success with a new artist named Randy Travis.

My own formula for commercial songwriting success is this: a) be a very prolific and excellent writer with a commercial sensibility, b) live in a music center like Nashville and LA, c) have a good sense for people and make wise decisions about the industry people you associate with, and d) network and/or co-write as much as possible with the folks you feel have the best potential to help you sooner or later. Its as simple and as freakin' difficult as that. If it was easy, I'd do it myself, LOL.

Gary
Old 03-03-2007, 02:18 AM

I hear ya. In their book on 30 steps to getting your first cut, Jerry Vandiver & Gracie Hollombe stress that you MUST either live in (or w/in 100 mi. of) or at least monthly visit a major music center (depending on your genre, Nashville, L.A. (pop, rock), NYC (urban contemporary, edgier rock), or Miami (Latin). Chicago and Austin are off the radar, alas. And you have to co-write. (Any takers?)

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Not being a BMI member, I can't speak to that. I know that they have a different survey and distribution model from ASCAP's--I believe that BMI surveys all spins and pays annually, but ASCAP surveys a selection of stations and pays quarterly, and all things turn out about equal in the end.
BMI pays every six months, or you can get an advance if need be (and you qualify) from their website. As I understand it, ASCAP pays a little to nearly everyone whereas BMI is totally tracking based, so if nothing shows, there's no money.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:16 AM

John,

ASCAP's method of "paying a little to everyone" is also one of their ways of tracking down unlicensed venues. The writer must submit a list of all the venues where his/her licensed songs have been performed thoughout the year. See posts #13 and #14 in this thread. (start with post #13, paragraph three, about the ASCAPlus Award)
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=ASCAP+license

Gary
Old 03-03-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
John,

ASCAP's method of "paying a little to everyone" is also one of their ways of tracking down unlicensed venues. The writer must submit a list of all the venues where his/her licensed songs have been performed thoughout the year. See posts #13 and #14 in this thread. (start with post #13, paragraph three, about the ASCAPlus Award)

Gary
Correct, Gary. It's called the ASCAPlus Award program, ostensibly designed to address the needs of those of us whose airplay is on smaller NPR and college stations which don't get surveyed during the quarterly two-week periods. I used to file faithfully and get my $50 quarterly royalty checks. But the effect (and probably ulterior motive) is to rat out the venues which are our lifeblood and create a chilling effect on live acoustic music. So I decided the $200 a year isn't worth harming the venues that help us.

BTW, the ASCAP-surveyed stations tend to be almost exclusively the major chain AAA, rock, pop, country and urban-contemp. stations--thus ensuring that actual per-spin royalties and venue license fees alike go to those writers who are already receiving the highest exposure. As I understand it, BMI surveys a greater variety of stations. Not familiar with SESAC, other than that membership is by invitation-only (you need to be recommended by at least one member) and until recently covered only country, urban, and Christian music. Interestingly, in the early 1980s it had been founded as the grassroots alternative to ASCAP and BMI--it was easier to join, but I was not yet recording (except for one song on a comedy LP) so I declined.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
John,

Gary
That blows.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell