The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-02-2023, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Default IT's Over...This proves AI has taken over

I have been optimistic that AI would not be able to produce top tier recordings & quality tunes for at least another 100 years.

Sadly these two AI tunes shows that their takeover is just around the corner.

What a bleak day it will be when we as humans are no longer needed for our musical individuality. And that day is soon. I already question my motives as to why I feel the need to record. Realizing that AI is at hand, I ask myself " why Am I working so hard when AI is so close?"

Old 05-02-2023, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
I have been optimistic that AI would not be able to produce top tier recordings & quality tunes for at least another 100 years.

Sadly these two AI tunes shows that their takeover is just around the corner.

What a bleak day it will be when we as humans are no longer needed for our musical individuality. And that day is soon. I already question my motives as to why I feel the need to record. Realizing that AI is at hand, I ask myself " why Am I working so hard when AI is so close?"

Nah.
Music made from stuff other than musical instruments, by things that contain zero emotion isn’t relatable. I wouldn’t buy it, pay to see it live, or even listen to it.
My bet is that TV commercial jingles and such will blow up with it, but the reason I go to a live show is to see a person perform things they created from their heart, not so much an algorithm.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

The problem I have with all the concern about AI is that the worry seems to be "if a machine can do something good (or better than me), then why should I bother to create anything?" If this is a reason not to make art, then people should have just given up the first time they heard Tommy Emmanuel or John Coltrane or Jeff Beck play, or heard a song John Lennon or Gershwin wrote, or a composition by Bach or Beethoven. Making music shouldn't be a competition, it should be about expressing ourselves. If a machine can mimic that, so what? Is the machine enjoying itself?

Having worked a bit on AI in the past, I get that it can do some things that humans can't - processing vast amounts of data to find patterns that we can't see, with results that sometimes seem miraculous. But it's just a tool, there are always new machines that do some tasks better, and humans just use them for what they can do and go on. AI will probably become a new tool for some composer/arrangers, and so on, but to me, it's somewhat irrelevant to why people make music (regardless of what tools they use in the process).
Old 05-02-2023, 08:28 PM

It makes musical phrases resembling a particular stylistic algorithm but there's no poetry there.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M, Enya X4pm
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 05-02-2023, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

When you get down to it, AI doesn't make anything new, instead AI mimics. It just rearranges what already existed. There is no real creativity, no new style or unique way of phrasing. It will never feel the emotions that led to some of the great lyrics and melodies.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 05-02-2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
AI doesn't make anything new, instead AI mimics. It just rearranges what already existed. There is no real creativity, no new style or unique way of phrasing.
Therefore an AI can't become the next Beatles. It can only copy the originals. If you actually want new, unique and fresh, it won't come from a computer.

ChatGPT has the same issue. It can regurgitate reasonably coherent, if general, information on existing topics. But I have talked with engineers who have tried to get it to potentially synthesize new information, cross-references and make inferences based on the vast datasets. They didn't succeed.
Old 05-03-2023, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

This is Day One for AI. Give it a year. We don’t know what we’re in for.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 05-03-2023, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The problem I have with all the concern about AI is that the worry seems to be "if a machine can do something good (or better than me), then why should I bother to create anything?" If this is a reason not to make art, then people should have just given up the first time they heard Tommy Emmanuel or John Coltrane or Jeff Beck play, or heard a song John Lennon or Gershwin wrote, or a composition by Bach or Beethoven. Making music shouldn't be a competition, it should be about expressing ourselves. If a machine can mimic that, so what? Is the machine enjoying itself?

Having worked a bit on AI in the past, I get that it can do some things that humans can't - processing vast amounts of data to find patterns that we can't see, with results that sometimes seem miraculous. But it's just a tool, there are always new machines that do some tasks better, and humans just use them for what they can do and go on. AI will probably become a new tool for some composer/arrangers, and so on, but to me, it's somewhat irrelevant to why people make music (regardless of what tools they use in the process).
Yup, what Doug said.

Tom
Old 05-03-2023, 05:46 AM

FINALLY! Something to replace autotuned songs. I didn't think that I'd ever hear anything that could compete with the vacuous drivel that's been leaking out of the radio speaker for so long, but it looks like they've succeeded!

The CBS 60 Minutes story on AI did a good job of pointing out the difference between Microsoft's version (also including ChatGPT) of AI, based on using pre-existing data, and Google's version, which is designed to actually use modeled thought process and come up with original ideas and information. That's the one that may prove worrisome.

Oh, and Doug 100%! A true voice of reason in the wilderness.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Nope just can't buy into the Ai in music doom and gloom mind set.
Will it bring change ? No question there will be change .

But will it "replace humans" in music creation my guess is Cliff is likely correct it may encroach and start being used in things jingles for TV commercials where true creativity is down on the priority scale --- BUT "take over music creation" in general ? not likely ..

Those two pretend Beatles tunes are a perfect examples, they sound exactly like what they are and "prove" only that AI can produce a reasonable facsimile of what music sounds like not what music creation is. Just like a great recording can produce a reasonable facsimile of what live performance sounds like but cannot recreate the feeling of being there in the room in real time ...
And those pretend Beatles tunes "prove" only that AI can produce clean sounding Formulaic Mediocre Pretend Crap ---- FMPC

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-03-2023 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:10 AM

Just time for an artistic revolution.

Think of what happened to painting when the camera was invented...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-03-2023, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I think those two posted songs in the OP are amazing. Yes, AI worries me. A couple of reasons. First, that somewhat unscrupulous songwriters (lazy and greedy songwriters undoubtedly exist, they do in all walks of life) would use AI and steal parts of it to create songs.

Secondly, that consumers will just be able to write their songs with AI. It's like, nowadays, the amount of entertainment available to all of us is astounding. AI-created songs? Who needs a musician?

Just yesterday, came across this article from a retiring Google executive... he's worried...
link to the article
Old 05-03-2023, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
"if a machine can do something good (or better than me), then why should I bother to create anything?" If this is a reason not to make art, then people should have just given up the first time they heard Tommy Emmanuel or John Coltrane or Jeff Beck play, or heard a song John Lennon or Gershwin wrote, or a composition by Bach or Beethoven. Making music shouldn't be a competition, it should be about expressing ourselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie51 View Post
Yup, what Doug said.

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

Oh, and Doug 100%! A true voice of reason in the wilderness.
How true! Doug is always able to put things in perspective!

The 60's,70's & 80's spawned so many interesting new styles of music. I miss those music years of Individuality. I remember sitting on my high school lawn during lunch and one of my friends asked me " What do you think of that new group Creedance Clearwater?" At the time they had only been out a week or so and I wasn't exactly sure what to think. For me it was a completely new & different music than I had never heard before. He further responded " Well, I think they are pretty great."

as RacerBob said " AI doesn't make anything new, instead AI mimics. It just rearranges what already existed. There is no real creativity, no new style or unique way of phrasing. It will never feel the emotions that led to some of the great lyrics and melodies."

While I was only half Joking, the other half of me did have some concern. As a former commercial photographer... I heard from my friend who is a photographer/art director for a major toy company...they are planning on going AI. They have already announced that most of the Photo positions will end in 5 years.

Anyway guys, after your great explanations, I feel better now.

So now I say:
A.I....Go ahead & take your best shot, you are not going to deter me! Not going to exceed my individuality. ha ha.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:39 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I’m preparing to get into home recording. I play guitar (acoustic and electric), sing and write my own songs. When I’ve dabbled in multitrack recording in the distant past, I’ve struggled with trying to create even the most simple percussion, keys, bass, etc. tracks.

Although I speculate that VIs really help with this compared to when I last played around with multitracking, if AI could analyze vocal and guitar tracks to create tracks for whatever other instruments I may want to add, I may appreciate that as I wouldn’t be looking for anything terribly unique or catchy because it’s what I’d hopefully already created that would be the essence of that.

As for the much broader use of AI, there seems to be a lot to be concerned about. There are a lot of tech savvy bad people in the world who are chomping at the bit to use AI for nefarious purposes. Kinda scary.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:53 AM

...but we're all judging this in the here and now....not in the soon to be. To say that in 5 years Ai would never make another and better SGT. Peppers is ludicrous. Yes it will...eventually. Eventually you'll go to alittle shop on the corner with their little custom 3d printer and order a Mona Lisa. It will look identical even to an art historian. Or Ai will have invented the 500 paintings Leonardo only dreamed about painting. Maybe some clever chat user has already begun the request. This could easily be true....except for one thing. At the same time Ai is being used for the fun stuff, it's also being used to control the world. So we'll most likely never arrive at the next Sgt. Pepper or the printing a Mona Lisa stage before we destroy ourselves with it. Or with something else equally crazy. I don't blame people for burying their heads in the sand. It's as good a strategy as any.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M, Enya X4pm
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD