The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-27-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Default I want a Strat!

I've been playing acoustic for a little over three years and I've been playing a Martin guitar with a 1 3/4 width. Now I'm going through my second bought of electric guitar fever

So now I want a Strat. I can get a new loaded Strat body from the Statoshpere Shop and then get a 1 3/4 neck Warmoth neck. It looks like they just bolt together, and it would fit my just right.

Does this sound like a good idea?
Old 01-27-2020, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I've been playing acoustic for a little over three years and I've been playing a Martin guitar with a 1 3/4 width. Now I'm going through my second bought of electric guitar fever

So now I want a Strat. I can get a new loaded Strat body from the Statoshpere Shop and then get a 1 3/4 neck Warmoth neck. It looks like they just bolt together, and it would fit my just right.

...it’s a good idea but before pulling the trigger mosey on over to the gear page... thegearpage.net ...and peruse the classifieds....great deals on partscasters...and parts in general...to be had....but a 1-3/4 neck may still need to be ordered from Warmoth...I have a couple of their necks and love em...the boatneck is my favorite carve....for a thinner neck I like Wolfgang carve...
Old 01-27-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Certainly not a bad idea. I struggled with electric guitars for many years. This is stupid but I bet I've bought and SOLD as a pair...... 5 electric guitars and 5 amps. But....

On December 3rd, 2019 I took delivery of a Yamaha Pacifica. I didn't pick up my acoustic for 3 weeks. When I did, I loved it. This much.... 20 minutes. Went back to the electric.

The Pacifica has a narrow width at the nut but overall, this guitar is extremely easy to play. The fingerboard has a radius of 12.75". I think that's the key right there. I didn't play the guitar before I bought it, through Sweetwater. A beginner would have an easy go with this guitar. The pickups are fantastic.

Back to the main event.... With the 1 3/4" width the only thing I can come up with is that it will slow down the action, your fingers moving about on the fretboard. Overall I think you are getting a custom electric guitar.

I also have a hollow-body Gretsch. This guitar replaced my acoustic guitar. It plays very much like an acoustic, feels like an acoustic.

I hope your dream comes true.!!..... I love playing electric.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:54 AM

I find this over at another forum - all sorts of odds and ends log type constructions - I’m just glad Leo Fender had professional musicians advising him and determining critical dimensions of neck radius, scale, nut width, etc - it’s why and how the Stratocaster became the most successful electric guitar design of all time - the music from the 20th century made on these instruments speak for themselves, long before the internet.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:13 AM

Just to add: I have big pudgy hands, fat fingers, must use extra large gloves at work, but coming home to a Fender 7.25” radius neck with 1 5/8” nut width is like going for a ride on a supersonic jet liner - fast, sleek, rewarding an ever lighter and nimble touch on the strings, teaching me to play guitar while reaping the benefits of speed and quicker response.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I consider myself an acoustic player who occasionally likes to mess a bit with an electric. I too have gone through periods of I want an electric/I don't want an electric before deciding that keeping an electric (a butterscotch Tele Player) and a Fender Super Champ X2 amp makes sense, even if I don't play them much. They're there whenever I need to jam like a rocker in the living room, and at other times they take up little space...
Old 01-27-2020, 11:42 AM

I’m traveling with three acoustic guitars and a Telecaster. I spent yesterday with a friend who has a Wingert and a McCollum. I loaned her my MIM Strat with Seymour Duncan’s. She is extremely happy.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Certainly not a bad idea. I struggled with electric guitars for many years. This is stupid but I bet I've bought and SOLD as a pair...... 5 electric guitars and 5 amps. But....

On December 3rd, 2019 I took delivery of a Yamaha Pacifica. I didn't pick up my acoustic for 3 weeks. When I did, I loved it. This much.... 20 minutes. Went back to the electric.

The Pacifica has a narrow width at the nut but overall, this guitar is extremely easy to play. The fingerboard has a radius of 12.75". I think that's the key right there. I didn't play the guitar before I bought it, through Sweetwater. A beginner would have an easy go with this guitar. The pickups are fantastic.

Back to the main event.... With the 1 3/4" width the only thing I can come up with is that it will slow down the action, your fingers moving about on the fretboard. Overall I think you are getting a custom electric guitar.

I also have a hollow-body Gretsch. This guitar replaced my acoustic guitar. It plays very much like an acoustic, feels like an acoustic.

I hope your dream comes true.!!..... I love playing electric.
I can second this. As a (relative) beginner three years ago, I bought a new Yamaha Pacifica and I love the thing. It plays extremely well and I don't think you can do much better for a first electric.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-02-2020 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 01-27-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

What about pick-ups? I see that Stratocasters come with SSS, HSS, HSH or HH

What should I be looking at?
Old 01-27-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:

What type of music will you be playing?
Old 01-27-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
I can second this. As a (relative) beginner three years ago, I bought a new Yamaha Pacifica and I love the thing. It plays extremely well and I don't think you can do much better for a first electric.
I'll be 3rd on this Pacifica train.

Keep in mind I know nothing about playing or buying electrics and never wanted one, but I'm an avid listener of electric guitar music (esp. Jerry Garcia and jazz players). But I doubt it is in the same league with a strat, sorry lowrider, and sorry we have hijacked your thread

My neighbor had one hanging around that her kid learned on, now he has a Les Paul and has moved out, she got tired of looking at it and gifted it to me.

It is very easy to play. I favor 1 and 3/4 inch nuts on my acoustics, but I have some at 1 and 11/16th's. I have no idea what the specs are on the Pacifica, but it creates no issues for me (I do have narrow fingers, though).

I'm having fun mulitracking little fills and chord fragments into my acoustic recordings. And once in a while I run it through my looper and blast away on the 12 bar blues. Sounds nice in my Loudbox Mini.

Pretty good starter electric, and they seem to be available for very little money.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-02-2020 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:

My opinion: forget about getting a neck that's similar to what you're used to on acoustic. Play a couple of Strats (1 5/8", 1 11/16") and see how they feel. Lots of beginners stress over "what electric is most like my acoustic", but I think it complicates matters for no good reason.

Buying a new neck is not as simple as just bolting it on and playing (at least IME), so don't think it is. Read up on neck relief, shims, intonation, action height, etc.

IMO you really can't go wrong with a HSS. You'll hear people regurgitate what they've read about that iconic out-of-phase sound and how you can't get it with an HSS, but thats an extraordinarily minor point except for a very few players. If you become one someday, you'll know it.

Again, just opinions. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:

I'm a traditionalist and SSS (three single coils) as they were intended. (Your choice though). If you are going to go outside the box then HSS. (Hum bucker in the bridge).

Brand new or second hand MIM Fender Stratocaster would be my suggestion with your choice of colour and either a maple or rosewood board. (Both play pretty much the same).

Won't take you long to get used to your new Fender neck profile. (Particularly after you have played it for a while). I seamlessly jump between my Stratocaster and my Martin.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:

HSS will give you the most diversity but it depends on what you want to do. I find the neck single coil sounds sweet on a Strat (think SRV). The bridge single coil not so much.

The traditional Strat is SSS.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:20 PM

I like a HSH for a strat to get the best combo of Fender and Gibson sounds...
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...0aAnXLEALw_wcB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars