The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-25-2020, 11:12 AM

Default Two butterscotch Teles

After 2 hours playing Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Merrill, Martin, Goodall, Kramer, Sexauer, Anderson, and Preston Thompson, we split a large pizza, went home, and compared our MIM Butterscotch Teles.

I bought mine frm the classifieds here. It a 2018 Fender player. I replaced the Noiseless pickups with Harmonic Design Vintage Plus. The medium jumbo frets and modern bridge are standard. It was in brand new condition .

My friend, David, just got the new Special
Edition Ash body. It has the reversed control plate. It has the three brass bridge pieces and Fender’s Hot Standard Tele Pickups.

We plugged them into my ‘58 Tweed Deluxe and 2001 Victoria Tweed Deluxe. They sound the same. My $230 dollar pickups exactly like the Hot Standard. My frets a bit rounder and lower. His feel flatter and wider.

After playing both, I found his more comfortable, easier to bend, more fun to play.

I have been looking at new necks for mine, focusing on the Toasted Maple with Pau Ferro board.

He went to his guitar room and pulled out his 1973 silver face Princeton Reverb. It had a mod turning it into a Boogie with master volume and grind. He uses it for lap steel. Then he took his Bill Frisell autographed Nash Strat off the Wall. What a fine guitar. He was at a gathering with a silent auction. Turns out he put n the only bid on the Strat. He HAD to take it home.

Fun day all around.

Last edited by M Sarad; 01-26-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:26 PM

What a great evening. A new neck will bring that Tele to exactly where you want it. Where do you plan to buy it?

Another option is to find a Special that you can play based on the neck, buy it, swap the pickups, and sell your Player (or trade).
Old 01-25-2020, 12:38 PM

Dru, I have been looking at both Fender and Warmoth necks. I actually want a Strat neck.

As for your suggestion, I have considered doing just that.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Dru, I have been looking at both Fender and Warmoth necks. I actually want a Strat neck.

As for your suggestion, I have considered doing just that.
There is nothing cooler than a tele with a strat headstock!
Please post pix when your modified tele is finished.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:20 AM

I just bought the exact same Tele from Musician's Friend. My frets left a little to be desired but my luthier took care of that. I love the guitar too and was thinking about Lollar pickups but your report makes me think twice about replacing the ones that seem to be working just fine now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars