The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-04-2020, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Gretsch Goodness...

Hello, Friend’s

Having owned 4 Gretsch guitars now I have certainly come to love that “Great Gretsch Sound”.

I’m curious to hear from Japanese Gretsch owners how you feel they compare to the 5600 Korean Series Electromatics. Specifically, the 5600 series with rosewood boards, and BT or Hi’Lo Trons.

While opinions will certainly vary, are the Japanese built Gretsches that much better? If I were to acquire a Japanese Gretsch (Jet style specifically), would it be heads and shoulders above my current guitars. Or, would I be better served to pursue another style/brand to add some contrast to my Gretsch arsenal.

I appreciate any input from those “in the know”.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-04-2020, 11:08 AM

Here's the NGD threads from when I got my MIK E-Matic 5622T-CB and MIJ 6136DC White Falcon respectively:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=429905
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=514002

Cutting to the chase, I've said it (many times) before and I'll say it again: while the attention to historic detail may be better on the Pro models (the hardware is a little higher quality/more accurate in most cases, but see the above threads), speaking as an owner the E-Matics give up absolutely nothing in terms of QC, playability, construction, or tone (realizing, of course, that "That Great Gretsch Sound" in fact comes in a variety of flavors: Dynasonic, PAF/patent Filter'tron, Hi-Lo'tron, Super'tron, Baldwin/Kustom "blacktop" Filter'tron, etc. - which can be/were paired with a number of body types/sizes/bracing designs over the years); Fred Gretsch played his hand well here - gigworthy instruments, at Working Joe/Jane prices, that capture the essential sonic and visual vibe of all the classic models of the '50s-60s. FYI I've been using my 5622T-CB 3-PU semi-hollow as my go-to, in-the-trenches gig guitar for the last four years without feeling undergunned - in fact, it's drawn a lot of favorable feedback (pun intended) from some of the local musicians - and although I take excellent care of all my instruments, it's rugged enough that I don't need to baby it in tight quarters or a rowdy club situation; by the same token the White Falcon was the realization of a lifelong dream for me, and while I was within a couple days of purchasing a white/gold 5422 and "Falconizing" it with aftermarket parts when it came along, as Marvin and Tammy said "ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby" - this one's reserved strictly for upscale gigs and TV appearances where it's not likely to incur damage, and will make an appropriate impression under stage lights...

As to whether or not you will find more satisfaction with a Pro Series vis-a-vis your current E-Matics, only you can be the judge: each one has its structural/visual/sonic virtues; neither has any drawbacks IME; and if you've just gotta have a dead-on-accurate reissue of a Brooklyn Gretsch, the Professional Series is made to a higher standard than most of the originals I've encountered over the last six decades, with the added advantages of lower price (more about which to follow) and the security of a factory warranty. That said, if you're looking for the "ultimate" Gretsch for not a whole lotta bucks (about what you'll pay for a run-of-the-mill ES-335) this is it - and if you're lucky enough to find a mint-condition '63 original it'll run you about ten times the price:

http://www.streetsoundsnyc.com/grets...-guitar-ss2603

Similarly, if you're after a Duo-Jet style this one's got a period-correct finish that you won't find from other dealers - and again, a mint '63 will set you back $6K+:

http://www.streetsoundsnyc.com/grets...-bigsby-ss1859

That should give you some food for thought...
Old 01-05-2020, 12:28 AM

I’m certainly not “in the know”, but as a reader of Steve’s posts, and chatting with another enthusiast locally, the Korean and Japanese offerings are complimentary, and I’m very impressed with how ‘deep and wide’ / long established this company has served the professional and amateur musician - and if you’d seen even a couple of instruments in my local shop, I’m sure you would be interested in adding (not replacing) more Gretsch models to your stable.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:06 AM

I can let you know in a few days. I have a MIK G5422GTWS in transit now. My first gretsch. I have been test driving a few at the local store. I would have bought locally if they had a 5422. I was impressed with what I saw/heard. May pave the way for a US made one, I've always wanted a white falcon. To be continued....
Old 01-05-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I can let you know in a few days. I have a MIK G5422GTWS in transit now. My first Gretsch...I was impressed with what I saw/heard. May pave the way for a US made one, I've always wanted a White Falcon....
Nice guitars - I've seen a couple Beatles tribute groups using them as their "George" guitar (plug into a Vox AC10/15/30 and you'll be hard-pressed to tell the difference), and as I stated above I was this close to buying the white one and customizing it to quasi-Falcon specs with aftermarket parts - and when it's in your hands, on your own time, you'll really be able to stretch out and explore the variety of tonal possibilities; that said, based on 55+ years of experience I'd strongly recommend a slightly heavier set than what you may be used to - 11's, 12's if you can handle them (the latter being factory-issue in the Brooklyn days) - and as many happy owners around these parts will attest, flatwounds just seem to bring out the best in a Gretsch...

As far as an authentic Brooklyn Gretsch is concerned, unless you're willing to pay the price for a collector-quality piece (well into the five-figure bracket in the case of a White Falcon ) IME you're practically guaranteed to have issues of one kind or another, especially if you're looking at a pre-1958 or post-1964 model; FWIW I've been playing these guitars since they were new (Gretsch was our hometown brand and everyone's first "good" guitar back in the day), still own the sunburst Double Annie I bought new in May '64, had my mitts on a good few hundred in the last six decades (and seen at least that many more) - and unless you're ready to deal with binding decay, poor neck set, iffy electronics, tuning difficulties, flaking finish, among others, you might want to rethink your GAS for a vintage example. By the same token, except for the poly finish (extremely well done BTW, and if you hadn't been exposed to a brand-new original you might be hard-pressed to tell) the Professional Series models are made to a standard that most of the old stuff didn't begin to approach - and none that I've ever handled could exceed. FYI the late-1963 Falcon reissue above (they call it a '62 - there are a number of differences I won't get into here) sells for about the same as a run-of-the-mill ES-335, the double-cut Jet Firebird is competitive with the LP Standard (BTW Gerry Beckley of America uses one of the latter), IME the QC is consistent from instrument to instrument - and while in the long run you're free to spend your money as you wish, the only way you'll find a comparable guitar at a reasonable price would be to time-warp back to the pre-Beatle days and hand-pick it off the 60 Broadway factory assembly line...
Old 01-05-2020, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I’m certainly not “in the know”, but as a reader of Steve’s posts, and chatting with another enthusiast locally, the Korean and Japanese offerings are complimentary, and I’m very impressed with how ‘deep and wide’ / long established this company has served the professional and amateur musician - and if you’d seen even a couple of instruments in my local shop, I’m sure you would be interested in adding (not replacing) more Gretsch models to your stable.
Thanks for the post! I wished we had a shop here that carried them. But, I can drive a short distance (80-100 miles) and find some great example. I certainly love each of mine. And, I miss my 5230T in Airline Silver. I’d upgraded the pots, cap, jack, and switch. I’d put locking tuners on, a better nut, a Biggsfix, and a Squishy spring. So, I could easily be swayed into a Japanese Jet since I’m “Jet Less”. I’d prefer the Bigsby on a Grestch, but could possibly entertain a hardtail model. I’m not sure I could have too many Gretsch guitars lol.

But, I also would love to compare a Japanese to my MIK examples, as well as trying out a Gibson Les Paul Standard, possibly a Classic, and a Heritage. All used of course.

Anything other than a Gretsch will have to REALLY impress me in order for me to buy something else.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-05-2020, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I absolutely love my Black 5422T. Gorgeous, great finish, feels very high quality.

I used to play an Ibanez with upgraded wiring harness and HS Filters and I loved that tone, but the Blacktops sound outstanding.

But if I wasn't a budget conscious shopper, I'd be all over a MIJ Gretsch. They look next level to me, even if the workmanship and tone on both MIJ and MIK are fantastic.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 01-06-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Nice guitars - I've seen a couple Beatles tribute groups using them as their "George" guitar (plug into a Vox AC10/15/30 and you'll be hard-pressed to tell the difference), and as I stated above I was this close to buying the white one and customizing it to quasi-Falcon specs with aftermarket parts - and when it's in your hands, on your own time, you'll really be able to stretch out and explore the variety of tonal possibilities; that said, based on 55+ years of experience I'd strongly recommend a slightly heavier set than what you may be used to - 11's, 12's if you can handle them (the latter being factory-issue in the Brooklyn days) - and as many happy owners around these parts will attest, flatwounds just seem to bring out the best in a Gretsch...
My 5433TGWS showed up yesterday afternoon (yea,, a sunday?? wild)

It's really nice. Neck looks real clean and fit and finish are definitely right up to par.

I'll probably be playing around with string changes soon enough. I use 10s on everything electric, I have a set of Gibson 11s in a vacuum seal that I was given about year ago. I will consider trying those.

For the time being I'll probably just be going to go with it as is for a bit since the stocked strings are XL110s which is what I always use anyway.

Not sure I'd go for flatwounds, I've got a Regent that I have flatwounds on, and they are great for that guitar. But who knows, I've got a few sets of those on hand too.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

It's really nice. Neck looks real clean and fit and finish are definitely right up to par.

I'll probably be playing around with string changes soon enough. I use 10s on everything electric, I have a set of Gibson 11s in a vacuum seal that I was given about year ago. I will consider trying those.

For the time being I'll probably just be going to go with it as is for a bit since the stocked strings are XL110s which is what I always use anyway.

Not sure I'd go for flatwounds, I've got a Regent that I have flatwounds on, and they are great for that guitar. But who knows, I've got a few sets of those on hand too.
Congrats! I figured you’d love it. As to strings, I have .011’s on all my Gretsch guitars. ESP with my Bigsby equipped ones. I personally feel like .10’s are to light on Gretsch guitars. Just personal preference. I use .013’s on my J-45 so maybe it’s just a me thing. But in both cases I feel they really get the guitar moving.

As to string brand... I’ve used S.I.T.’s for a few years now. I love them. And, if using .011’s, they come with both a wound and unwound G. This is important to me as I prefer a wound G on Bigsby equipped guitars also.

Personal preferences aside, we need pics! Let’s see that gorgeous new Gretsch!
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-08-2020, 03:28 PM

I've been playing my new Gretsch G5420 T for just over a week. I am so sold on this guitar. Deeply in love. It whispers in my ear. Incredible guitar. Pickups are fantastic. I love the Bigsby and it is usable on several original pieces o mine. I can hardly wait to upgrade my amp.

It's in Orange and it loves the camera. I have some great pictures I'd like to share but I'm challenged by it. Gave up long ago. But, I can email some pictures to someone if they trust to forward their email to me. I'm a trustful man. I'm aching to show this guitar off. They are stunning in many ways.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I've been playing my new Gretsch G5420 T for just over a week.
I bought a white one (G5420TG) a few months ago, and I love it. It's my first electric guitar.

There is a downside, however. I now get more compliments on my guitar than on my singing or playing!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-09-2020, 06:44 AM

These Electromatics do seem like a lot of guitar for the money.

I finally got around to getting a few pics.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
These Electromatics do seem like a lot of guitar for the money.

I finally got around to getting a few pics.

Gorgeous! I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks. Is that Walnut?
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-09-2020, 12:30 PM

yep, that's the Stained Walnut finish. The only other option with these are White.

it sounds great, and it plays great. The nut needs just a bit of work. the strings are a tad high coming off the nut. Normal setup stuff basically. We'll be addressing that imminently.

One observation, which is really neither here nor there, just thought I'd share..
if you read specs, they call out 10 gauge strings on some sites. However, when mine arrived, it was strung with 11s.

play on!
Old 01-09-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
...or 5422?

Beautiful!

Last edited by Realbluesman; 01-09-2020 at 01:38 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars