The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-10-2020, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Highly recommended. There is another thread here on it too. Several of us were unanimous.

Here it is: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=535186

Last edited by The Growler; 01-10-2020 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

My wife also bought me the book "The Birth of Loud." I also was a little irritated with the slowness at the beginning of the book, but it seems that is the nature of this kind of book. It didn't take long before I was totally immersed and fascinated by the stories. I thought the writing was quite good overall. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in the guitar.

- Glenn
Old 01-11-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I love histories that weave the chronological story of products and technologies.

For example, the best one I ever read was called "Engines of the Mind" which is a phenomenal story of the history of computing. It tells a story that really no one understands or thinks about and illustrates how it's not one instant invention but a glacially-slow evolution (in that case over, yes, hundreds of years). Ask someone who invented computers or even "software" and there is a 99% chance you will get famous popular names but the wrong answers. And in these stories are deception, competition and human drama making the myths even more misleading.

As the saying goes "History is written by the winners" and that is so true when it comes to electric guitars.

My wife bought me this book for Christmas:

The opening pages were a bit sluggish and I was afraid I didn't like the writing style. Part of that was because of the immediate discomfort I felt that the history I thought was deliberately wrong. So I was defensive, at first, thinking "this can't be!"

But then, after about half of a chapter, I got hooked on the real story.

I took the book on vacation and picked it up every chance I could. That's not my reading style - even my wife and kids commented about how voraciously I was reading this book.

I won't give out any spoilers .

I will say that the writing is excellent - it's like a good historical fiction story, except it's not fiction. It's even a bit of a dramatic page-turner.

I found that I actually didn't even like the main characters - they were flawed humans, whose behaviors were mostly selfish and/or awkward.......in other words "human".

That was a powerful part of this story: to see the flaws and inadequacies of the iconic people and their products.

Again, I am avoiding details because I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

If you like the type of history I described above and you like guitars (not just acoustics), then I strongly encourage you to read this book.

I didn't like the story and the behaviors and the way credit was doled out. But I loved the book, and the way it told that story - truthfully and without the mythology we inaccurately apply.

Great, great, great book!
Also along these lines, but not in the musical sense is a great book I just finished called "The Last Days of Night" about the (electrical) current war... Edison vs Westinghouse/Tesla. A great and interesting read by Graham Moore.
LarryK.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
From an amp standpoint, it would be remiss to neglect the contributions of Nat Daniel (Epiphone/Danelectro) and Everett Hull (Ampeg) - contemporaries of Leo Fender who, while not as well-known to the average player, were also highly influential in the postwar development of the American electric guitar amplifier - as well as the team of Tom Jennings/Dick Denney (Vox) and Jim Marshall, who would pioneer a distinctly "British" school of amplification in the early-60's which, by decade's end, forever redefined the sound of rock music.
Like so many other books, it is unfortunately incomplete, but who knows, maybe the author is already working on volume 2.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Also along these lines, but not in the musical sense is a great book I just finished called "The Last Days of Night" about the (electrical) current war... Edison vs Westinghouse/Tesla. A great and interesting read by Graham Moore.
LarryK.
Thanks Larry - I just ordered this! I love these kind of books.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-12-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
I understand this very clearly .
Irony , which I do love , shows us that neither Leo or Les were on the quest for loud . They were playing , at least Les was , in the early electric Jazz era . Clarity and purity were the goals at the onset of their presence .
Loud morphed from their outside of their initiative . They , at least Leo did , simply followed suit once the race began .
I was pretty young back then, but my understanding of Les Paul's history/achievements here varies from yours. Les Paul sometimes liked to emphasize with pride his impact on the emergence of the solid body electric guitar, but he was probably even more significant in his discovery/demonstration/popularization of modern recording--and modern recording isn't exactly about clarity and purity: it's often about what kind of new sounds, otherwise unavailable, that one can obtain with recording technology and techniques. Les' recordings were full of that kind of thing. He wasn't all about Segovia or even Joe Pass in a fine old concert hall.

Your implied greater point is something else though, something we agree on: neither of them probably understood exactly how their innovations would be used, though in Fender's case he seemed to have a remarkably effective feedback loop from SoCal players in his region as he and his company made his most significant models.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-12-2020, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Just to add to Franks post Les Paul is considered the Father of multi- track recording. Which IMO certainly equals his developing the solid body humbucker guitar which is now a hallmark icon in rock

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-18-2020, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
LarryK.
Was excited by the recommendation but disappointed after buying the book. Historical fiction like those are fine (and I like them) but it has nothing to do with actually telling the history of Edison and Tesla - it's just a setting for a purely fictional story. Totally different type of book.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 01-18-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Fazool,
I'm dyslexic, so reading has always been a chore, but I got this book last February and read it in 3 days. I could not put it down.

Amazing details about Paul Bigsby!

Of course one of my favorite sections had to do with the 'real birth of loud' which was The Showman amplifier, and the reason that Leo got James Lansing involved in electric guitar speakers: Dick Dale, whom Leo saw as the personification of The Showman.

Highly recommended! *****

Howard Emerson
Old 01-19-2020, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Halfway through, fantastic book, thanks to everyone who suggested this one!
Old 01-26-2020, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

I started it a couple of days ago and I'm at the part where the Les Paul has been introduced and the Strat is on the horizon.

Great story, great writing and I now have some serious GAS for a Fender!

I'm loving it and can't put it down. And this is after just reading a book that I thought was one of the best ever; ''The Boys in the Boat''. It's about the 1936 Olympic rowing team. Usually, after I read a great book, I'm kind of lax about reading the next one, but The Birth of Loud has me hooked

And, I'm going out to play some Fenders this afternoon!
Old 01-29-2020, 03:00 AM

just finished the audiobook of this and it was fantastic!
Old 02-02-2020, 01:56 PM

I liked it. Well worth it. Recommended.

I agree the sections about Merle Travis & Paul Bigsby as well as Dick Dale were great.

Cheers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars