The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-25-2023, 05:51 AM

Default Over the Hill (John Martyn Cover)

Here's a little something I have been working on, a tune by the great singer/songwriter/guitarist John Martyn. It's from his classic album Solid Air. I capoed on 1 for my voice and didn't even try the DADGAD tuning, lol. It was a challenge vocally for sure. Anyway, it's a killer old folksy tune where you have a few pints and everybody can jam to G and Am: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDAx_sUPTTs

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everybody--Tim.
Old 12-25-2023, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
Here's a little something I have been working on, a tune by the great singer/songwriter/guitarist John Martyn. It's from his classic album Solid Air. I capoed on 1 for my voice and didn't even try the DADGAD tuning, lol. It was a challenge vocally for sure. Anyway, it's a killer old folksy tune where you have a few pints and everybody can jam to G and Am: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDAx_sUPTTs

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everybody--Tim.
That's really nice Tim. I'm new to John Martyn - I heard "May You Never" not long ago, the Eric Clapton version and have started playing it. But I don't know his catalog at all and this song is new to me. But I like it, like your vocals and the way you kind of pick it out on the guitar.

Thanks for sharing, and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays back at you...

-Ray
Old 12-25-2023, 01:29 PM

This one really worked well Tim. I have to get deeper into the John Martyn catalog.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 12-25-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
That's really nice Tim. I'm new to John Martyn - I heard "May You Never" not long ago, the Eric Clapton version and have started playing it. But I don't know his catalog at all and this song is new to me. But I like it, like your vocals and the way you kind of pick it out on the guitar.

Thanks for sharing, and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays back at you...

-Ray
Thank you so much, Ray. Martyn did some great stuff, especially earlier in his career. From what I gather, he was a hard-partying/hard-living kind of guy, and it took its toll on his voice and creative output as time passed. But his entire catalog is well worth diving into. He's always wonderful with melody, a witty lyricist, and sings absolutely from the heart. Here's the best version of May You Never that I have found, and it melts me every time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi_wxypeGc

I appreciate the very kind words on the performance. I tried to keep it really simple and heartfelt. I hope your Christmas is a great one, my friend.
Old 12-25-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
This one really worked well Tim. I have to get deeper into the John Martyn catalog.
Thank you, my friend. Martyn is worth a rabbit-hole dive. He was a troubled but beautiful soul and a genius.

People do seem to like this one, I must admit.

Jerry Christmas, dude!
Old 12-25-2023, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Great job on this, Tim! That's a new song for me! Nice picking there!

I am no expert on John Martyn's music, but everything I have heard from him has been really cool.

Merry Christmas, Tim!

- Glenn
Old 12-25-2023, 07:28 PM

That was a great listen. I'm not familiar with John Martyn but look forward to checking out. Nice work and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-26-2023, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Great job on this, Tim! That's a new song for me! Nice picking there!

I am no expert on John Martyn's music, but everything I have heard from him has been really cool.

Merry Christmas, Tim!

- Glenn
Glenn, Happy Holidays, and thanks for checking it out. I appreciate the feedback on my playing especially. I work on my flatpicking a lot.

As far as Martyn, his earlier material is my favorite stuff of his-- London Conversation, Solid Air, and One World are great albums to check out. Martyn mixed folk, rock, blues, and jazz. He also experimented with sound as well, using different pedals and tape delay to create a unique amplified acoustic sound. He had a lot of personal problems with relationships and substance abuse, and that hampered his career quite a lot. You can see the extent that his rough life had on him in his later years. But his songs were always heartfelt, melodic, and tasteful. I hope you give his work a look.
Old 12-26-2023, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson61 View Post
That was a great listen. I'm not familiar with John Martyn but look forward to checking out. Nice work and Merry Christmas!
Hey, my friend, thank you for checking out my little video. Definitely look into Martyn's music--it is well worth your time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell