The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-20-2016, 09:32 PM

Default Should I sell a unique guitar for a unique motorcycle?

Hi:

I can't believe I am posting this but am reaching out for some words of wisdom. I have a custom built Blanchard Classicool Nylon String Cutaway guitar. It is absolutely amazing. Beautiful Madagascar Rosewood, comfy corner, flawless top - a real work of art. And it sounds absolutely rich and amazing. I have struggled with finding the true beautiful tone in "Crossover nylons" finding the Spanish Builders that build the true Classical guitars to have the tone nailed. In this case, Mark Blanchard really nailed it with a neck that is so easy to play (I think it is 1 3/4). I must have tried 50 nylons and owned 15 before ever nailing it like with this guitar.

The dilemma: I also like motorcycles. There is this Italian Manufacturer called Aprilia and I have my mind set on getting the Aprilla Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS.

I have to sell my Blanchard Classicool (or other custom guitar) to make this happen. Over the last six years, I have played the Blanchard 2 times yearly at most. I really like the tone of nylon and especially this guitar but don't have the technique from classical to really play the guitar in the way its meant to be. Every year I plan on devoting some time to it and then things get in the way.

Conversely, the Aprilla is unique (kind of like a custom guitar). It has amazing reviews. There is not a dealer closer than 2 1/2 hours away from me and it could be a challenge to get parts. I think I have someone local who can service the bike.

I am thinking that given my history of not playing the Blanchard Classicool, I should not have too much remorse selling it. However, it would take a two year build time and I'd probably never find Madagascar Rosewood that looked like this again (not to mention sounded so good).

I humbly and respectfully realize this is not a "real problem." But, I wonder has anyone else struggled with such a dilemma or resolved one like it?

Thanks for the input...

Just a guy who loves to play guitar!

Last edited by Daveman; 12-20-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveman View Post
Hi:

I can't believe I am posting this but am reaching out for some words of wisdom. I have a custom built Blanchard Classicool Nylon String Cutaway guitar. It is absolutely amazing. Beautiful Madagascar Rosewood, comfy corner, flawless top - a real work of art. And it sounds absolutely rich and amazing. I have struggled with finding the true beautiful tone in "Crossover nylons" finding the Spanish Builders that build the true Classical guitars to have the tone nailed. In this case, Mark Blanchard really nailed it with a neck that is so easy to play (I think it is 1 3/4). I must have tried 50 nylons and owned 15 before ever nailing it like with this guitar.

The dilemma: I also like motorcycles. There is this Italian Manufacturer called Aprilla and I have my mind set on getting the Aprilla Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS.

I have to sell my Blanchard Classicool (or other custom guitar) to make this happen. Over the last six years, I have played the Blanchard 2 times yearly at most. I really like the tone of nylon and especially this guitar but don't have the technique from classical to really play the guitar in the way its meant to be. Every year I plan on devoting some time to it and then things get in the way.

Conversely, the Aprilla is unique (kind of like a custom guitar). It has amazing reviews. There is not a dealer closer than 2 1/2 hours away from me and it could be a challenge to get parts. I think I have someone local who can service the bike.

I am thinking that given my history of not playing the Blanchard Classicool, I should not have too much remorse selling it. However, it would take a two year build time and I'd probably never find Madagascar Rosewood that looked like this again (not to mention sounded so good).

I humbly and respectfully realize this is not a "real problem." But, I wonder has anyone else struggled with such a dilemma or resolved one like it?

Thanks for the input...
Well, I share you interests in motorcycles and guitars, though I like old British iron more than modern Italian.
I have known motorcyclists called One Eared Mike and One Armed Bob. I'm sure you can imagine how they got their names. In the age of idiots texting while driving, safer to keep the guitar.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 12-20-2016, 10:19 PM

I have two hobbies, guitars and bikes, although I haven't invested nose bleed money in custom models of either...

I don't know the cost of your guitar or the cost to build another down the road...

But I know that model of Aprilla goes for around $17K and has 175 HP...

Compared to semi annual playing of your guitar, how often do you think you'd use a bike like that to it's full potential?

Just a little food for thought...
Old 12-20-2016, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Yeah; & my bike is now on the showroom floor on consignment, & my guitars are all in their cases in the rack waiting for the next one to be played (in about 10 minutes)!

Guitars can't kill you... (but I've come close on the bike).

Hope this helps...
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman
Old 12-20-2016, 10:48 PM

As an ex-biker m'self I'm voting for the guitar Dave.

Safer all round. Seems you can't even spell the name of the bike anyway.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:13 PM

The last time I rode a motorcycle I was doing 40mph in the right lane of a 4 lane road. A 4X4 truck made a right turn immediately in front of me. I had to lean the bike over so hard to avoid hitting him I ended up in the far right lane of opposing traffic before I could bring the bike to a stop. I put the bike up for sale as soon as I got home and have never ridden one since.

I vote for keeping the guitar.

McKnight SDG
Santa Cruz Skye 00
Santa Cruz 1929 00
Old 12-20-2016, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

I used to roadrace Ducatis, still have three in the garage including a very tricked-out track-only 996. Ironically getting seriously into track riding is what got me out of playing guitar about 17 years ago. I don't regret a thing, and I had a lot of fun with it, but if you plan on riding that Aprilia anywhere close to its limits you're going to be spending an enormous amount of time riding and training and not much or any time playing guitar. That's sure how it went for me.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 12-20-2016, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Interesting conundrum. I had a friend who raced professionally in his youth and when he got older, and wealthy, turned to big hairy vintage race cars. He had no fear that I ever saw but his comment one day about his latest Ducati superbike was : " It will go 150 mph easy, but not with me on it."

Unless you are really into riding on a regular basis, and have the experience and judgement to ride such a bike (yes I know what they are and raced bikes in my youth) you most likely will spend a lot of time looking at it. It's like having a race car on the street, it's especially a waste in this country. Even riding the bike costs $$$. Upkeep and repairs will be costly and time consuming. Let it sit and it still will develop problems from non use, rubber breaks down, metal starts to rust from lack of lubrication etc.

The guitar on the other hand doesn't cost anything to own. It will still be there ready for use when the day comes that you finally have the time and motivation, if in fact that is why you obtained it.

It sounds like you have a tendency to become enamored with something special and then pursue it even if it in the end it will not fulfill your desires. Owning something is one thing, but the excitement of obtaining and owning fades with time if it isn't really useful once you have it. Then the next obsession beckons, the endless pursuit. With guitars they call it GAS but it comes in many forms. The grass is always greener thing.

Be brutally honest with yourself as to whether you will really use the bike rather then just "look cool" on it around town, we call it "stylin'", then make the choice that only you can decide.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
.................................................. .........that Aprilia
.................................................. ................
Close, but still no cigar ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveman View Post
Hi:

The dilemma: I also like motorcycles. There is this Italian Manufacturer called Aprilla and I have my mind set on getting the Aprilla Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS.

Thanks for the input...
Life will probably get in the way of the Aprilla too. So save up and keep both, or check out the new Triumph Thruxton.

Things with wheels and motors tend to depreciate continually.

Things made of wood and steel tend to only depreciate once.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-20-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I have two hobbies, guitars and bikes, although I haven't invested nose bleed money in custom models of either...

I don't know the cost of your guitar or the cost to build another down the road...

But I know that model of Aprilla goes for around $17K and has 175 HP...

Compared to semi annual playing of your guitar, how often do you think you'd use a bike like that to it's full potential?

Just a little food for thought...

Hmmm Denny B.............

I giving deep thought to "using a bike like that to it's full potential." I have a Suzuki GSXR1000 and GSXS1000F and don't think I can use either in my area on the streets near their "potentials." I haven't even thought about this.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:25 PM

Default guitar vs motorcycle

I've been riding motorcycles for 44 years, and playing guitars for about 24 years...after a small on road mishap last year with the bike, I finally decided to give it up: I just don't feel safe anymore...I bought a Mini Cooper, and the bike goes up for sale in the spring...never had a guitar mishap, and I appreciate the guitars I have and I'm always looking for new ones...I pretty much did everything I wanted to do with my bikes, but I still have an appreciation for a fine motorcycle...
Gibson J-35
Larrivee Parlour
Martin Dreadnaught Jr.
Rainsong Shorty
Taylor GS Mini-e Mahogany
Yamaha FSX700SC
Cordoba 20 tm-ce Ukulele
Mitchell Baritone Ukulele
Taylor GS MINI e bass
Old 12-20-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
Interesting conundrum. I had a friend who raced professionally in his youth and when he got older, and wealthy, turned to big hairy vintage race cars. He had no fear that I ever saw but his comment one day about his latest Ducati superbike was : " It will go 150 mph easy, but not with me on it."

Unless you are really into riding on a regular basis, and have the experience and judgement to ride such a bike (yes I know what they are and raced bikes in my youth) you most likely will spend a lot of time looking at it. It's like having a race car on the street, it's especially a waste in this country. Even riding the bike costs $$$. Upkeep and repairs will be costly and time consuming. Let it sit and it still will develop problems from non use, rubber breaks down, metal starts to rust from lack of lubrication etc.

The guitar on the other hand doesn't cost anything to own. It will still be there ready for use when the day comes that you finally have the time and motivation, if in fact that is why you obtained it.

It sounds like you have a tendency to become enamored with something special and then pursue it even if it in the end it will not fulfill your desires. Owning something is one thing, but the excitement of obtaining and owning fades with time if it isn't really useful once you have it. Then the next obsession beckons, the endless pursuit. With guitars they call it GAS but it comes in many forms. The grass is always greener thing.

Be brutally honest with yourself as to whether you will really use the bike rather then just "look cool" on it around town, we call it "stylin'", then make the choice that only you can decide.

Recerbob - This seems very much in the vein of thinking expressed by Denny B (using the bike to it's potential - paraphrased...)
Given your background, do you believe that the bike must be raced or some other benchmark to really justify having the bike? I hope this question makes sense. I have a GSXR1000 and GSXS1000F which I tend to ride differently (different styles, destinations, gear, etc.)

Old 12-20-2016, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Close, but still no cigar ....
No, that's right,
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Tags