The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-12-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Nut issue advice

I recently purchased a Martin 000-15 on reverb. It was listed as excellent condition. I was extremely disappointed to see a significant dent where the previous owner damaged the guitar changing the nut from bone to tusq. There is also a smaller dent on the headstock on the other side. No mention of the nut change was made in the item description.

The nut does not fit. It is too thin. My question is #1 can it be played with the current nut (what issues if any would that cause)?

#2 where can I get a replacement slotted nut?

Old 09-12-2019, 07:11 AM

Such a badly cut nut, see a local luthier, get it fixed right

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-12-2019, 07:11 AM

I would file a claim with Reverb on this to either return the guitar or have the seller pay for the repairs.
If it were a guitar I wished to keep I would get it fixed by a qualified tech. I would not pay for the repairs. You could take it to somebody and get an estimate first and then proceed.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-12-2019, 07:15 AM

It cannot - should not - be played that way. The intonation is based on a string length that is defined, at one end - on guitars without a zero fret - by the position of where the strings break over the nut, usually coincident with the end of the fingerboard. By moving the breaking point away from the end of the fingerboard, the intonation will be inaccurate.

Martin has historically had heads that intersect the neck at the end of the fingerboard. That results in the nut sitting on the head but abutting the end of the fingerboard. To accomplish that, the bottom of the nut is not 90 degrees to its face.

On some more recent models, Martin has changed the geometry of the head so that the nut sits on the neck, rather than the head, the result of which is that the bottom of the nut is 90 degrees to its face.

The nut that is currently installed on that guitar is the wrong one - a non-90 degree nut, when a 90 degree nut is required. The correct nut can be purchased from any of the standard luthier suppliers, including stewmac and lmii.

As pictured, the guitar is not "in excellent condition".
Old 09-12-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I would file a claim with Reverb on this to either return the guitar or have the seller pay for the repairs.
If it were a guitar I wished to keep I would get it fixed by a qualified tech. I would not pay for the repairs. You could take it to somebody and get an estimate first and then proceed.
I agree with rokdog. This is clearly a case of an item that was not as described...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-12-2019, 07:28 AM

Default What a nut job!

My first inclination would be to reject the guitar. That's a terrible job on the nut. The damage to the guitar is an indication that whoever replaced the nut shouldn't have attempted the job.

If you REALLY like the way the guitar sounds and plays, then go the route of getting an estimate and having it repaired at the seller's expense. If he's not willing to do that, return it.

BUT.... as mentioned above, the intonation is going to be off, maybe the action as well.

Let us know what you decide and good luck.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 09-12-2019, 08:00 AM

As others have already stated, that's a horrible job on the nut install and will impact your intonation. If you like the guitar and want to keep it I would get the seller to cover the cost of having a luthier fix it properly, fix it yourself if you know how to and still ask the seller for a discount.

If you're really unhappy with the situation, which nobody would blame you for, send the guitar back for a full refund.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for the replies. Very frustrating when buying used when the guitar is not as described. I'm going to get a couple quotes to fix and then make a decision. I feel like the significance of the dent deserves a partial refund in and of itself.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:59 AM

If you really like the guitar then perhaps you can negotiate with the seller to pay the price of getting a new nut. Else return it. Keep in mind that some people are just plain dumb and could innocently think there is nothing wrong with that. It's also equally possible that he knew it was wrong and was hoping that you would not notice. You are looking at a $50-100 dollar repair depending on where you live.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:00 AM

Wow, I wouldn't trust anyone who would do that to a guitar! Or anyone that would allow that kind of work to be done on their guitar. That's absolutely hideous. Mickey Rourke's plastic surgeon could do a better job!
Old 09-12-2019, 11:14 AM

+1 on replies to the effect that this is not acceptable, especially if it was not disclosed. Hard to say from the picture, but it also looks like it could have a headstock crack/whiplash...or maybe just a bad gouge, but still...
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 09-12-2019, 08:31 PM

That's the worst nut job I have ever seen. Off the charts bad.

Larry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair