The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-01-2016, 01:26 AM

Default loudness cubase

hi i am recording on cubase 8. when i record and then export it into a mp3 its so much quieter then when i play it threw the daw?? any advise?
Old 11-01-2016, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Humm Not trying to be negative or insulting But you might want to consider organizing your approach to asking for help and start providing much more detailed information. For example make a list of your entire recording chain that you can just paste in your OP .....

Honestly your posts are very vague and fairly confusing.

In the other thread about "punch in "

First you say you having trouble getting the punch to line up then you talk about a click, and never explain if it is one or the other or both ?

Then you say your using " Hi i have a zoom r16 stand alone recorder"

Then you say your using a " this is a zoom r24 just a stand alone plug and recorder not a computer."

Now your talking about Cubase 8 DAW and exporting MP3's are you now using a computer and that is what Cubase is on ?
Or is CB 8 what is being used on your sand alone Zoom r 16 or r24 which ever one it actually is ?

And finally any targeted advise will be much more accurate if you provide a detailed description on what it is you are actually doing as far as playback and export in the DAW, and playback of the MP3 like what system your monitoring both on Which Cubase 8 version , etc . etc.

Unfortunately based on the vague information you have provided the only accurate advise would be . There should be little to no perceptible difference in volume level between a WAV. file and an MP3. file ..... thus your are either doing, or not doing something, to cause the perceived discrepancy.

Beyond that here is a quick vid at least demoing that there should be no difference in volume, note of course he is playing back both files on the same system

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-01-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianvw View Post
hi i am recording on cubase 8. when i record and then export it into a mp3 its so much quieter then when i play it threw the daw?? any advise?
Import the mp3 back into the DAW and play it. Compare its volume to the original wav file side by side within the DAW. If the same volume, then playback system outside the DAW is the reason. If different volume then some volume setting inside the DAW is the problem. Read through the user manual.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-01-2016, 01:48 PM

As noted above, something in the signal chain of the MP3 player is putting out less signal that that of the source system. Since your question tells me you have already decided you don't want to just 'turn it up"....here's 2 cents' worth:

Your question points to one aspect of mastering. Mixing happens to one song. Mastering includes the art and science of making sure all song signals in a "package" are leaving the media (tape, vinyl, CD, Mp3 player, etc) at the same level, regardless of the different recording systems used and levels used on each song. The target level selected for the master depends on what system it will play through during end-use.

There are several ways to master, but three come quickly to mind. 1. Use a compressor/limiter to boost low signals and squash high ones. 2. Use just a limiter and push the whole song to the top of the limiter range; just before clipping. 3. Begin the mastering process during mixing.

In your case, procedure #2 would at least give you a stronger overall signal on a project that's already well under way, but it will also squash the mix you worked so hard to get. I sometimes find myself mixing with the knowledge that there might be some squashing going on later....

BTW, there are probably pro sound engineers here on the Forum cringing at the above information, but these are offered as practical solutions for recreational use.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:53 AM

How many tracks are you trying to export? If just 1, check/test the meter levels on the channel while playing back. Make sure it is registering at peak during the loudest parts of the song, not in the red, but as close as you can get. The db level should stay below "0" throughout the song. Sounds like you're monitoring at one level and exporting at at a lower one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD