The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-15-2011, 08:24 PM

Default Newbie question about nut files

Stew Mac has some excellent nut files, but I can't really afford to buy a whole set at one time at around $12 each. I don't plan to cut new slots in a nut blank, but rather adjust the action by deepening existing slots.

So, would it be possible to buy 2 or 3 nut files and use those to deepen the slots? For example, I would think I could use a .010 file on both the E and B strings and maybe an .017 or .020 for everything else.

I know this isn't optimal, but I'm hoping to get by until I can afford the whole set. Given this, can anyone recommend which gauges I should buy first if I can only get 2 or 3?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:04 PM

I guess there are a couple of ways of attacking the problem. One is, as you suggested, to purchase specialized nut files one at a time and add as finances allow. Stew Mac lists their suggestion for a "starter set".

A second way is to not buy expensive files for the purpose. For example, a set of needle files, available at hobby stores and many hardware stores, will work quite acceptably. A set of those run about $10. The teardrop shapes are the most useful. For the thin strings, you could buy an X-acto handle and saw blade, which runs under $10. It works very well for the top two strings. Even with the expensive nut files, I still use the saw for roughing in slots and the top strings.

If your plan is to do a lot of nut work, it probably makes sense to invest, eventually, in sized nut files. Otherwise, needle files can be used to produce good results.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 11-15-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:19 PM

Are you dropping the height on all of them evenly, or are they off by varying amounts? If the former, then it's better just to sand the bottom of the nut, so the string slots aren't deeper than necessary.

Otherwise, Charles has good advice. I'll probably get some nut files eventually, but needle files work just fine so I'm upgrading other tools first.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post
Are you dropping the height on all of them evenly, or are they off by varying amounts? If the former, then it's better just to sand the bottom of the nut, so the string slots aren't deeper than necessary.
The difference between a really good setup at the nut and one that isn't is only a few thousandths of an inch. To achieve that requires setting the string slots individually, rather than en masse.

If one has the right tools, it is probably quicker, easier and produces a better setup to adjust the depth of the nut slots in place, rather than to remove the nut and sanding the bottom of it. Removing the nut involves a bunch of steps that often aren't necessary if one does the adjustment to the slots, rather than the bottom of the nut. These include scoring the finish on the sides of then nut, if it is finished, removing the nut, figure out how much to sand off of the bottom of the nut, do repeated trial and error for string height - tuning up and down with each trial and error - maintaining the proper angle of the bottom of the nut, keeping the bottom flat, then re-glue, if needed.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 11-16-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Sounds like the jewel files might be a good way to start. My only question is whether it would be possible using jewel files to produce the rounded bottom that's required for nut slots. (Where the bottom of the slot is rounded, not square.)

I don't plan on doing a bunch of nut work in the future, but I have several guitars and would like to fine tune all of them at the nut.

Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:02 PM

I believe that one should use the right tools for any job. That said, stew-mac ain't the only game in town...

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpro...6+Saddle+Files
Old 11-16-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjino View Post
My only question is whether it would be possible using jewel files to produce the rounded bottom that's required for nut slots.
Yes. "Teardrop" shaped files have rounded edges, producing round-bottomed slots. Ditto for a rat tail file.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
I believe that one should use the right tools for any job.
Sure. But what did instrument makers use before Stew Mac and LMI and the advent of specialized nut files introduced in the last decade or so?

Perhaps, the definition of "the right tool" should include a larger subset of "files". Purpose-specific nut files certainly make the work faster and easier, but it is entirely possible to use other files to produce a similar quality result.

When I started instrument making, more than three decades ago, there were no specialized nut files or many of the other specialized luthier tools that are currently on the market. Some are welcome additions: others are intended to separate one from their money. Experience (and personal preference) teaches one to distinguish one from the other. Nut files, in my opinion, are a welcome addition, but not the only way to accomplish the job.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:51 PM

I got a set of 8 nut files from Hiroshima Files of Japan for just $67. The vendor was US-based and they sold a variety of tools. I can't remember who the vendor was though. It wasn't LMII or StewMac.

The files are: 0.010, 0.013, 0.017, 0.024, 0.032, 0.036, 0.040 and 0.050. Kenny Hill showed me a set at a GFA convention in San Francisco. He borrowed them from another luthier.

Try doing a Google search for guitar nut files.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Sure. But what did instrument makers use before Stew Mac and LMI and the advent of specialized nut files introduced in the last decade or so?

Perhaps, the definition of "the right tool" should include a larger subset of "files". Purpose-specific nut files certainly make the work faster and easier, but it is entirely possible to use other files to produce a similar quality result.

When I started instrument making, more than three decades ago, there were no specialized nut files or many of the other specialized luthier tools that are currently on the market. Some are welcome additions: others are intended to separate one from their money. Experience (and personal preference) teaches one to distinguish one from the other. Nut files, in my opinion, are a welcome addition, but not the only way to accomplish the job.
I agree.

But I also think that a beginner can & will benefit from the "proper" tool, making the job easier and with better results that trying to improvise with other tools.

To the OP: a piece of 400 grit wet/dry paper is about .010 thick and that can be wrapped around a nut file
Old 12-15-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjino View Post
Stew Mac has some excellent nut files, but I can't really afford to buy a whole set at one time at around $12 each.
Pssst...you don't really need nut files, just a pad of sandpaper. Before you pay for anything, check out this blog post about replacing a guitar nut.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 PM

I made a set out of automotive feeler gages using a coarse file to round over an edge, leaving a coarse finish. They work well, and cost less than five dollars for the whole set. I don't think I'm the only one on the forum who does that either.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM

I have the whole set of Stewmac files. I think I've used them all since I set up a lot of different guitars and string gauges. I will say that I rarely use the .010, even thought I thought I would.

If I could only get six, I think I'd get 13, 20, 28, 35, 46 and 56.

This is when I first got them. I also bought this magnetic book to keep them in...from a scrapbooking store.

Last edited by bnjp; 12-17-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:48 PM

Hmm. I messed around with needle files for many years until I discovered Stewmac and have since (gradually) bought a whole range of 'proper' nut files. Frankly I couldn't imagine going back to needle files (including the teardrop one) after having the correct size nut files to do the job. They're purpose made and they work really well. That would be my advice; bite the bullet and get six nut files that approximate to the sizes you need. Bear in mind, a 52 string needs to sit in a slightly wider slot. Then gradually fill in the gaps in your file collection in the future.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 12-18-2012, 11:27 AM

Default Hiroshima nut files, low shipping cost

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=...laluthiertools

I've dealt w/these folks, like them a lot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair