The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-02-2016, 06:45 PM

Default Preamp used for recording vs. preamp for live performance: what's the difference?

Preamps used for recording are also called 'audio interfaces,' from what I can determine. Is there a difference between a preamp used on stage and one used in the recording studio?

I ask, because I'm gearing up to start recording, and I have a Bose ToneMatch T1 preamp, which is a pretty expensive piece of equipment. And I don't want to buy a different preamp (aka audio-interface) if the Bose will work. It's a pretty fine piece of equipment. But I couldn't find anyone commenting on its use in recording.

Comments? Thanks.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

A preamp is one thing. A computer audio interface (for recording) is a preamp and several other things, all in one box, and designed to handle many functions and tasks needed when recording, mixing and listening.

For live playing, most of the extra features and circuits found in a computer recording interface are simply not needed.

Preamps are needed for both recording and live playing.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 11-02-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
Preamps used for recording are also called 'audio interfaces,' from what I can determine. Is there a difference between a preamp used on stage and one used in the recording studio?

I ask, because I'm gearing up to start recording, and I have a Bose ToneMatch T1 preamp, which is a pretty expensive piece of equipment. And I don't want to buy a different preamp (aka audio-interface) if the Bose will work. It's a pretty fine piece of equipment. But I couldn't find anyone commenting on its use in recording.

Comments? Thanks.
To add to what sdelsolray said and break it down a bit further
An audio preamp is a piece of analog gear used to boost analog signals (coming from an analog source like mic's and instruments up to line level ) that an amplifier can send out to speakers. And some modern audio preamps also have some digital processing for modeling various pieces of gear or instruments ( But that does not mean they are usable as an interface to work with A DAW)

In terms of recording and in typical recording terminology an audio interface is a piece gear which can take analog audio signals that have been converted into digital signals that can then "interface" (talk to ) computer based DAW ( Digital Audio Workstation) software . Now as sdelsolray said many audio interfaces are combination pieces that often have analog pre amp sections, as well as analog to digital and digital to analog converters all in one unit.

If I am understanding your question correctly
I do not use a bose But I am guessing that a bose Tonematch while it may have some digital processing going on internally I would think (unless it states so in the user manual) is in fact not an interface that can be used to communicate with a DAW .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-03-2016, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Default PM'ed Ya gfsark

PM'ed Ya gfsark

alohachris
Old 11-03-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
A computer audio interface (for recording) is a preamp and several other things, all in one box, and designed to handle many functions and tasks needed when recording, mixing and listening.
Right. For one (very important) thing, the audio interface typically gets the audio signal into a computer via a USB connection. It also reduces latency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark
I have a Bose ToneMatch T1 preamp, which is a pretty expensive piece of equipment.
Nobody says you can't run through your Bose preamp, then into an audio interface, then into your recording software. Interfaces typically have a switch to cut in or out the internal preamp.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:41 AM

Got it. Thanks for clarifying. I had forgotten about the analog digital conversion step. Clearly I'm a noobie on the steep end of the learning curve.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD