The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-01-2020, 01:39 AM

The pattern I've established w/any "new" artist is getting the album that has the song that hooked me, then going back and collecting chronologically...
Old 02-01-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGNJ View Post
Any recommendations on which one of his albums to start with?
Thanks.
I think "Live In Texas" is excellent and his newer album with the Large Band is also incredible.

As for Lyle's tone, I think he also credits a Demeter tube preamp/DI for part of his unique tone.

Incredible musician and as mentioned, his high respect for his band is really something. We caught him at Red Rocks a few years ago when SweetPea Atkinson was still touring with him. At one point during a song, his cellist simply got up and walked off stage. Lyle stopped the concert and said, 'he's been with me over twenty years. At this point, he just comes and goes as he pleases.'

His wit never disappoints.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 02-01-2020, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGNJ View Post
Any recommendations on which one of his albums to start with?
Thanks.
Well, all his recordings are darned good... I'd say "Joshua Judges Ruth" or "The Road to Ensenada" would be good starting points, even though both are "later' in his career...

For a tremendous introduction to many "unsung" songwriters, the "Step Inside This House" collection is brilliant! Not only great songs from many varied writers, but the 2 disc set itself is beautifully made with a deluxe booklet (that's more of a small high-toned magazine!

Always thought it was very classy of Lyle to NOT speak any ill will towards Julia Roberts after they divorced... plus, he pretty much worships Willis Alan Ramsey so he's got to have great taste!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 02-01-2020, 01:30 PM

Pontiac is classic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN