The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-17-2017, 06:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Boss Katana 50, pleasant surprise

I have been keeping an eye out for a smaller amp for use in smaller venues and at galleries, private parties, etc. that I often play. I love my Carvin AG300 but my poor old back complains when I lug the thing too far so when I noticed the Boss and some very good write-ups I thought I'd give it a try. For only $219 it was worth the gamble as I am not near anywhere I could audition one before purchase. Happy to say the thing has exceeded expectations! My needs sound-wise are simple: just a good, clean and natural sound with a touch or reverb. The amp has lots of settings and built in effects which may be of use to others and apparently you can upload more directly from Boss. Good sounding 12" speaker, weighing in at a manageable 25 pounds. I've owned many, many amps designed for acoustic guitar including some of the high end ones (AER, Schertler, Henrikson) and this amp compares very favorably to those, I kid you not. It is MUCH clearer and organic sounding (on the "clean" setting; the "acoustic guitar" is not as natural sounding) than any of the Rolands and Fishmans I've owned, no muddiness and absolutely quiet. The reverb is good too, very natural sound.

I use a Martin 00-18, D-35 and Eastman AC322CE, all with K&K pick-ups and also play a semi-hollowbody electric. All sound great through this amp. Only possible drawback I can see is only one input, which would limit some players and I do wish it had a mic input with phantom power but oh well, for the price I still think it's a winner. There is also a 100 watt version but specs show it weighs almost as much as my Carvin, and is about as big, which is why I went with the 50.

Just one picker's opinion! But worth a try if you're in the market for a small, easily transported amp that won't break the bank.

Gene
Old 10-18-2017, 08:05 AM

Congrats on your new amp.
Boss has really stepped up with their amps.

Thanks for posting ..I have the Katana 100 and up until reading your post.. I had never used it for acoustic. So last night and again this morning .... I plugged my J-45 straight in.

Like you, I tried the 'Acoustic' setting .. BUT you are right... Clean setting is much better.
Also, I engaged the boost knob to 9 o'clock. It sounds terrific!

The other "trick" with this amp.. "Dime the Master" volume. It just "opens" the amp up and it's like taking a blanket off it.

I've only been playing on the .5 watt setting and it's plenty loud!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Dime the master makes sense, sound-wise, but doesn't that invite feedback issues with an acoustic guitar?
Old 10-18-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Dime the master makes sense, sound-wise, but doesn't that invite feedback issues with an acoustic guitar?
Mine sounds perfectly fine..

I guess I should have added YMWV .
Old 10-18-2017, 06:19 PM

Does Dime the Master mean set it to 10 and use the gain for overall volume...or what. Never heard of that. Usually its the other way around for gain staging.....set the gain as high as it can get without peaking and then turn up the master for volume.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-18-2017, 08:03 PM

I found the tip from a Boss engineer .. found on the Katana FAQ web site.
Since this is a solid state amp.. not tube. I suppose there are ways to enhance the tone....to make it more "tube" like... so maybe these tips are more suitable for traditional electric guitars.

Katana FAQ web site ...
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/ind...?topic=19048.0
Old 01-27-2018, 08:29 AM

I should be getting the 50 this weekend from a CL ad just an hour away. Think I'll tell him via text its a pretty sure thing so he won't sell it.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:05 AM

Smile Best Setting for Accoustic Guitar

Dear Guitar Players

I have just bought a Katana 50, I am a pretty novice... started playing guitar 12 months ago, I love it.. I play a Taylor 314 CE.

I have played around with the Katana 50 on clean and accoustic preset but would appreciate some expert's advice on what is an ideal setting for the accoustic guitar with all those knobs....

Clean or Accoustic?
Boost?
Gain?
Volume?
Mastervolume?

My aim to have a warm, clean accoustic sound.

Thanks for your advices.

Michel1711
Old 08-14-2018, 07:53 AM

I can share with you what works for me:

Mode: Acoustic
Gain: 9 o'clock
Volume: 3 o'clock
Bass/Middle/Treble: as you like
Boost: OFF
Power: 25W
Master Volume: 3 o'clock

You must try various settings, because it differs from one guitar to another ( e.g. clean mode doest not sound good with my guitars).
Old 08-14-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
...My needs sound-wise are simple: just a good, clean and natural sound with a touch or reverb...I've owned many, many amps designed for acoustic guitar including some of the high end ones (AER, Schertler, Henrikson) and this amp compares very favorably to those...It is MUCH clearer and organic sounding (on the "clean" setting; the "acoustic guitar" is not as natural sounding) than any of the Rolands and Fishmans I've owned, no muddiness and absolutely quiet...
Not surprised, since standard electric guitar amps were all that was available when Charlie Kaman developed what was arguably the first viable acoustic-electric guitars a half-century ago. Without exception, I've never been able to get as "acoustic" an amplified sound from a dedicated acoustic-electric amp, as I have from a decent "American-voiced" (think blackface Fender/blue-check Ampeg) electric-guitar combo - the natural rolloff over 4-5kHz acts as a passive filter for most of the frequencies responsible for the edgy "quack" and strident highs of typical acoustic pickup systems...

News bulletin: in practice you need far less high-end in your amplified sound than you think - just ask your audience - and if you think that Katana sounds good, plug into the low-gain input of an old-school mid-/high-powered 1x12"/2x12"/1x15" combo (tube or analog solid-state, with a good old spring reverb) and see just how "acoustic" and "natural" your guitar can sound...
Old 08-16-2018, 08:56 AM

if you find a now discontinued Fender Super Champ XD (6V6 power section, digital modeled pre-amp section, 1X10 combo), it has an acoustic setting on the pre-amp models - it sounds very good, better than I expected ti would. Those amps can be found used for 200 or less. Since I have one, I have not looked at the SCXD's replacement, Super Champ X2 - that may have that same acoustic setting, I just dont know for sure, the old XD sure does.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:23 AM

I have the same two amps as the OP, and dial in a clean, with a little reverb tone setting. When I got the Katana 50, it was primarily for a (since sold) PRS S2 Standard 24, and my son and I had some fun with all the models. I tried my acoustics through the acoustic setting, and also found it to be lacking. I didn't think to try acoustics through a clean setting, but I'm happy to hear that sounds good.

The Katana is a really good small amp.

Unfortunately for me (and sometimes for the audience), I'm a singer, so not having that mic option on the Katana means I'll continue to bring the AG300. BTW, I tried my Eastman T184MX-LS through the AG300, and it sounds great (again, clean with a little reverb).
Old 01-22-2020, 09:44 AM

Was thinking this would be a great amp for small gigs and for switching between electric and acoustic guitars...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification