The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 03:13 PM

Are there guidelines posted on their website as to what qualifies a guitar as “excellent” or “Very Good Condition”, etc.? if so, check the criteria. If it doesn’t align with what they sent, I’d certainly return it and write to the shop owner with your complaint.

Oh, and never go back.

Rb
Old 01-20-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
Finish Crack in back ~4-6 inches long. Does not appear to go through the wood (Not visible on inside) Center strip also looks a little rough, but that may just be age.
https://imgur.com/LvNWagQ
Thats awfully freakin long and suspiciously gain-aligned for a finish crack... I'm no crack expert so wait for a more educated opinion maybe, but I'd be having all kinds of bad feelings about that.

Last edited by RalphH; 01-20-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
Thats awfully freakin long and suspiciously gain-aligned for a finish crack... I'm no crack expert so wait for a more educated opinion maybe, but I'd be having all kinds of bad feelings about that.
Yeah. That was my fear / suspicion. It can't see or feel it on the inside of the guitar, but I have never actually had a cracked guitar. There is a matching crack on the other side of the end block that isn't nearly as long, but looks similar.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 01-20-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
It's a very nice sounding instrument and I do like a deal, so I'm considering throwing out a big number for a condition adjustment.
Most here seem to think you should send it back, and they may be right. On the other hand, if you like the guitar and are comfortable with the condition - after a price adjustment - and the seller is willing to make an adjustment that is enough to make you genuinely happy about the purchase, I don't see why that wouldn't be a good outcome.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah. That was my fear / suspicion. It can't see or feel it on the inside of the guitar, but I have never actually had a cracked guitar. There is a matching crack on the other side of the end block that isn't nearly as long, but looks similar.
If it's closed you might not see it on the bare wood of the inside. The finish makes it visible on the outside.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:11 PM

Before jumping the gun, as we tend to do nowadays, I'd call the shop and explain the situation. They may be flabbergasted (waited 4 months to use that) that these issues were not disclosed, and very apologetic.

They may try real hard to make things right. I'd hear them out.

scott
Old 01-20-2020, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Before jumping the gun, as we tend to do nowadays, I'd call the shop and explain the situation. They may be flabbergasted (waited 4 months to use that) that these issues were not disclosed, and very apologetic.

scott
AGREE 100%!
Old 01-20-2020, 04:15 PM

What did the seller say when OP contacted them?

Following the comments about 'finish crack on the back, it sure don't look like a 'finish crack' to me.

And my idea of 'excellent condition', it ain't new but there's no visible flaws or signs of use.

Did the vendor send the right guitar?

Last edited by phavriluk; 01-20-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:16 PM

Whoa! Just looked at the picture of the "finish" cracking on the back! Yikes, that does not look good. It surely doesn't look like the finish cracks on any of my guitars.

scott
Old 01-20-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Before jumping the gun,
party pooper!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:19 PM

After the OP asked whether a thousand dollars off would be a reasonable amount to insist upon, Russ wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by russchapman View Post
$2k is a bit low. I'd say $2300-2600, depending on your enthusiasm.
Then Steve replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
It totally depends on how much you like the guitar and what the original deal was. A cleated center seam is not a major issue, but you should have been advised of it prior to purchase. I didn't read the original listing but if it said "excellent condition for a 13 year-old guitar" that's different from just excellent condition. Yes, the dings should have been disclosed as well. To me a center-seam repair and a few tiny dents in the finish would be worth about $500 if the guitar is otherwise a keeper. If you're ambivalent at all, arrange to send it back.
Last but not least among the folks posting on this thread, Scott wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post

To add to what these three gentlemen wrote, I would say that the issues that have arisen with this guitar are not unexpected with a guitar that's had enough upheaval in its existence to require a neck reset.

I also think it's a bit of an overreaction to demand the name of the shop RIGHT NOW so the rest of us can shame them throughout the Twitterverse as a business entity to be shunned and exiled into the outer darkness forever. So I salute you for your discretion there, BH, for resisting the impulse to join the "cancel culture" that seems to be the de facto default setting for our increasingly harsh and judgmental 21st Century mindset.

What it really comes down to is exactly how the ad was written. We already know that the guitar as delivered did not meet the expectations of the OP. But a thousand dollar refund is almost certainly unrealistic, because the shop probably has more than that in the guitar. It's one thing to trim their profit margin a little bit, but to expect them to surrender it all and actually lose money on the transaction is something else entirely.

So what I would do is call the shop, ask for the manager and/or owner and say: "Hey, this top cleat and this finish crack weren't mentioned in the ad. To me that means it isn't in excellent condition. What can we do to to make this right?"

Then listen from there. If both parties aren't able to reach a mutually agreeable solution, then return the guitar.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 01-20-2020 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo
Old 01-20-2020, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Wade's advice is excellent, as it typically is. The problem I have with this scenario is that I'm not sure if the OP's feeling of being deceived and the inherent discrepancies between his expectations and what he received can be assuaged by a financial reimbursement...

Last edited by RP; 01-20-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 PM

Whether the guitar is a good player or not, I would send it back on principle. The description was materially inaccurate. Maybe that was accidental, in which case they should be more careful; or maybe it was deliberate. Either way it's not something that should be rewarded. Returning it sends a message that this kind of thing is unacceptable.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:40 PM

I would return it. I would call the seller and explain the situation. If they didn't offer to pay return shipping in the conversation, I would definitely ask them to pay it, and state that I expected it considering the situation. How they handled the situation from there would determine whether or not I ever dealt with them again.
Perhaps someone just made an honest mistake here. That'd be a lot easier to do if it's a larger company.
I agree with some others above that the ones jumping the gun here are not in the right. You're ready to throw the seller under the bus before even hearing if they might've just made a mistake or how they'll remedy the situation. There isn't one of us that hasn't made mistakes.
Now if the seller doesn't handle the situation professionally and it is proven they knew about the issues that's different.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:43 PM

That finish crack looks a LOT like a crack in the wood to me.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion