The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 06:23 PM

My main guitar is in the shop getting its action adjusted, leaving me with an old boomy Martin DM that I've had forever, and which I would practically have to pay somebody to take off my hands. At first, I was bummed, but after a bit of playing and singing, and being focused entirely on the music (not the guitar), I began to totally enjoy the old DM again. Now I can't keep my hands off it.

I've also noticed that I've adjusted my technique and touch a bit to "follow" this particular guitar, and it's gone very nicely.

I still hear the same things, essentially, happening with this guitar, including my own weaknesses and (perhaps) strong points.

It's still a mirror, a bit dirty and slightly warped here and there (intonation isn't great), but still a mirror of me. It's also still a very useful machine for making music.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

7,175 and counting posts on this guitar forum. Just sayin'.

Of course it's the musician and of course the guitar matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
So what if you have a less exspensive guitar -theirs too much hype about what a guitar costs or what its made of. What really matter is how does it sound when you play it . Its the musician not the guitar - i think we put to much emphasis on a guitar and not on what it can do -or what can someone do with it --.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:05 PM

I had a long response typed and I just deleted it for this...

I have enjoyed learning to play the guitar.
I have enjoyed learning about instruments.
I have enjoyed acquiring instruments that inspire me to keep playing.

So at some level, I suppose it does matter to me.

People obsess over the wants in life, not the needs.

Much more talented musicians can make mine sound better than I can. I would love to hear them do so!

This hobby turned passion, and this forum have brought only positives to my life.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 01-21-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHey! View Post
When I was younger and didn’t have two nickels to rub together, but had all the free time in the world, I spent countless hours playing whatever I could get my hands on. I had no concept of high end guitars, and had no idea what I was missing. When I got older and realized I’d all but abandoned something I’d loved so much for so long, going down the guitar rabbit hole and finally getting my hands on some nicer guitars did in fact inspire me to start playing again with much of the same enthusiasm I had when I was younger. The prospect of learning about, appreciating, and acquiring quality guitars wasn’t the only thing that got me playing again, but it certainly helped. So, for me, more or less due to timing and means, special guitars inspired harder work. But I wouldn’t really call it work because it’s just about my favorite way to spend my free time these days.

That makes sense to me...its all about what sounds right, and what feels right.

Right now the two guitars that are making me want to play the most are my most expensive...and my 2nd least expensive!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-21-2020, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Does it really matter what guitar you have?

I think what matters depends on the player. Is the player limited by the guitar? Does the player enjoy playing the guitar or does the guitar provide frustrations or even discomfort? Does playing this guitar provide motivation to keep on playing and learning?

My own experience with the guitar is that it's a lifelong challenge to keep advancing and learning on the guitar. A good guitar goes along with the player on this journey without getting in the way.

I can enjoy playing fairly moderate cost guitars, especially when I am traveling and when I am not going to be taking expensive guitars with me. A serviceable guitar that sounds good and feels good when I'm playing it is a real treat on the road.

Still, when I get home and I get to play even better guitars, I'm reminded of how lucky I am because the differences are instantly obvious. But if the only guitar I could afford were my Voyage-Air VAOM-06, I would still be happy and feel fortunate to have that guitar.

A lot about contentment depends on what our realistic choices are and then making a conscious decision to be satisfied with whatever limitations life throws in front of us.

- Glenn
Old 01-21-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I can only imagine an art forum discussion where someone posits the claim that a high school art composition is as good as a nationally recognized artists gallery collection.

That would be laughable, wouldn’t it? And probably the only ones thinking the high school students work was as good as the artists work, would be the parents of the student.

It’s yet another forum fallacy that resists all common sense. It’s in part driven by envy and lack of ability to differentiate good work from exceptional work. That has always, and will continue, to matter in subjects from art, wine, automobiles and guitars, despite opinions to the contrary.
Yes, this is all true. It's also true that I have picked up 2k+ guitars that sound and play worse than my $350 Recording King. Just like I have see Andy Warhols giant pictures of Campbell's soup go for millions of dollars or $75.000 for a painting of a single brush stroke from Lichtenstein.

Are these painting worth that? Not to me. Not to most. But apparently, to more than one. I'd derive zero pleasure in owning such a thing except to sell it to fund something I could make use of and enjoy.

Cost doesn't always create value, sometimes just the perception of it.

I have also played guitars from SCGC and Collings. Are they better than my cheap guitars. Yes. By leaps and bounds. Would I like to have one? Sure. I can't afford it, so I make a point to derive joy from things that are within my means.

I'm neither jealous or disdainful of those that have far nicer things than I've got. I'm glad folks buy and enjoy what they can afford.

For those of us that have shallow pockets the key to happiness is not to have more, but to be happy with less.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-21-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Oh, some are most certainly saying the cheap guitar is as good as the custom model. It's an ingrained belief I've read on this forum repeatedly. I understand you may not feel that way but some do and it's analogous to my art reference.

This is no different than if you go to TGP or TDPRI forums and many guitarists gush over how good thee $300 Fender Squier Class Vibe Strats and teles are just as good as Fender CS Teles and other boutique $2K-$3K guitars

There's a TON of threads weekly on the subject of how guys are wasting their money on high end guitars when the Squier guitars are just as good.

To each his own, but I'll play and buy what inspires me to want to play and get better.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 01-21-2020, 09:07 PM

Your guitar is an extension of yourself, your public voice and identity. It has to fit like a glove, not only with your hands, but fit you visually. You have to feel good with a guitar, always remembering that it is your public voice. It has to look good, feel good, and play good and compliment your style. I think your guitar should be one you are proud of. That being said, it's never a good thing to dismiss one's abilities by judging their instrument.

Years a ago I was playing the coffeehouse and a girl signed up for time and she was carrying a Rouge acoustic guitar. People made fun of her, but immediately thought otherwise when she began to play. They liked her so much that they passed the hat to buy her a new guitar. She came back the next week with a nice Taylor acoustic that she found online. Sometimes it's good to have judgemental friends!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Yes, this is all true. It's also true that I have picked up 2k+ guitars that sound and play worse than my $350 Recording King. Just like I have see Andy Warhols giant pictures of Campbell's soup go for millions of dollars or $75.000 for a painting of a single brush stroke from Lichtenstein.

Are these painting worth that? Not to me. Not to most. But apparently, to more than one. I'd derive zero pleasure in owning such a thing except to sell it to fund something I could make use of and enjoy.

Cost doesn't always create value, sometimes just the perception of it.

I have also played guitars from SCGC and Collings. Are they better than my cheap guitars. Yes. By leaps and bounds. Would I like to have one? Sure. I can't afford it, so I make a point to derive joy from things that are within my means.

I'm neither jealous or disdainful of those that have far nicer things than I've got. I'm glad folks buy and enjoy what they can afford.

For those of us that have shallow pockets the key to happiness is not to have more, but to be happy with less.
And I too agree with you, one should be happy with what they can afford, just as I did with my inexpensive guitars.

I was, like you, able to understand there were better instruments out there and if I worked hard and took care of business, perhaps one day I'd own one.

If I had believed that my plastic bowl backed was as good as any other guitar on the market, I doubt I'd have been bright enough to better my financial position during my lifetime. I played it, it worked in our band, but at no time did I delude myself into thinking it was a great guitar.

Anytime I heard my friends' Martin's I knew how bad the plastic bowl backed guitar was, and one day I acquired a Martin. Then when I learned more, I knew there was a level above Martin that I wanted to strive for. That didn't mean the plastic bowl backed guitar didn't serve a purpose or that the Martin wasn't good enough, it was part of a journey that no one should be judged for wanting to take.

Having the guitar that makes you enjoy playing is paramount. My plastic Ovation is a toy when compared to my McCollum. If that difference matters to you, then it matters.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

Last edited by Goodallboy; 01-21-2020 at 09:29 PM. Reason: remove brand names
Old 01-21-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
This is no different than if you go to TGP or TDPRI forums and many guitarists gush over how good thee $300 Fender Squier Class Vibe Strats and teles are just as good as Fender CS Teles and other boutique $2K-$3K guitars

There's a TON of threads weekly on the subject of how guys are wasting their money on high end guitars when the Squier guitars are just as good.

To each his own, but I'll play and buy what inspires me to want to play and get better.
Of course it's not different, it's further validation of my point.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-21-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
My plastic Ovation is a toy when compared to my McCollum. If that difference matters to you, then it matters.
Please tell me you're not going to take this to the Cork Sniffers vs the Great Unwashed.
It's been done before, and it's boring.

However, very glad that your guitars make you happy. BTW, could you remind me which Ovation Glenn Campbell played? Probably not the toy you had.

Last edited by zmf; 01-21-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:55 PM

I’ve had Taylor guitars that run the width of their models from a GS Mini Koa to an 08 Fall Ltd. Koa GS and my Bourgeois beats EVERY single one of them in volume, tone and balance! Is it worth the extra money....to me, yes! I’m still amazed by it every time I get it out of the case! Does it make me want to play my best....yes it does. This is exactly like having 2 Camaros. The first one, a plain-Jane V6 model and the 2nd, a ZL1 1LE. Yes, they’re both Camaros and yes, they’ll get you from point A to B and the V6 model will look good and drive good, but the ZL1 is gonna spank it hands down in a head to head driving comparison. A $200 mass-produced guitar isn’t going to be as good as a high-end built guitar. I already know there’s plenty on here who’ll argue all day for the sake of arguing that they are when they know they’re not. If they were, then Dana Bourgeois and Richard Hoover and Preston Thompson would’ve never built their brand to the level they’re at and EVERYONE would be playing $200 guitars.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-21-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post

I wouldn’t argue against a good Fender Telecaster vs a Squier Classic Vibe version - the Fender I have has a wider dynamic range, more of everything - even the neck and frets I prefer - but I pick up the Squier more - why? I’m not sure - sometimes aesthetic judgements elude verbal explanation - on the acoustic side I’m always picking up the OM which is underachieving right now - maybe I root for the underdog, or prefer to work on guitars that I feel need attention - conclusion: better or worse for me is a revolving dynamic that has little to do with name on the headstock - if I was a “poser” or “imposter” I suppose name on the headstock would mean everything.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:22 PM

You seem to be attacking a straw man here.

I dont get the impression on this forum that the people here care about guitars because they cost more or because of whta wood they r made of.

The priority with most members here is with tone and with what one can do with the guutar. A better guitar is simply the guitar that sounds better and that is able to keep up musically with whatever the guitarist wants to do on it without being unbalanced in tone or having jarring wolf notes or bad intonation or not having the dynamic range to respond well enough to the guitarist's nuances in playing it.

Guitars that are better in these respects are generally made with more attention and more skill by people who care about what they are doig with a passion, and tbe labor of such people tend to require and deserve a higher return and therefore such guitats generally costs more. But it is a fallacy to think that agf members r drawn to the better guitsrs because they cost more - they are drawn to them because they sound better. There is a lot of demand for them.because they take more pains and time to build them properly, and because also of that higher demand the price goes up..

Similarly agf members tend to be interested in tonewoods of different types because they like the tonal effects those woods bring to alter the basic tone of the guitar. Also because they like the looks of those woods.

So this whole thread is based on a false premise IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
So what if you have a less exspensive guitar -theirs too much hype about what a guitar costs or what its made of. What really matter is how does it sound when you play it . Its the musician not the guitar - i think we put to much emphasis on a guitar and not on what it can do -or what can someone do with it --

Old 01-21-2020, 11:52 PM

It’s been said Neil Young initially composed some of his well known tunes on a laminate Yamaha with high action kept under the bed - if one’s goal is composition of music, sometimes its of great aid to have an instrument on hand with severely restricted dynamics and other limitations, whereby such restrictions can act as an accelerator or compression mechanism which gives birth to the composition - pulling out a well set up Somogyi may be akin to walking into a football field of possibilities that may offer too many choices and lack of bearing toward a necessarily defined creation.

My opinion: if you have unlimited funds or are not limited by that consideration, have instruments at hand at all price points to give you maximum variety and scope with your guitar playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion