The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 01:53 PM

I have to agree with many others in this post. If the guitar is special, it'll inspire you to play more and work harder to get better. There's a part of me that wonders if these threads are sometimes done out of bitterness or envy(OP, I'm NOT saying this one is) because, it seemed like for awhile, there was a new, "My $200 Yamaha is just as good as a $6,000 Santa Cruz" comment all the time. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think forums like this are about the only place it matters! I've been to a lot of bluegrass festivals and there's some guitar swapping, for trying out different guitars that goes on, but I've NEVER experienced any, "Mine's better than yours" incidents! It's always a mutual respect thing, EVEN if you don't like their guitar.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-21-2020, 02:19 PM

I can only imagine an art forum discussion where someone posits the claim that a high school art composition is as good as a nationally recognized artists gallery collection.

That would be laughable, wouldn’t it? And probably the only ones thinking the high school students work was as good as the artists work, would be the parents of the student.

It’s yet another forum fallacy that resists all common sense. It’s in part driven by envy and lack of ability to differentiate good work from exceptional work. That has always, and will continue, to matter in subjects from art, wine, automobiles and guitars, despite opinions to the contrary.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-21-2020, 02:33 PM

When my father tossed me out at 18, he kept my Martin. Luckily I had friends that had guitars so I could play. After awhile I rented a room off a lady for 10 bucks a week. She had one of those guitars you win on the boardwalk for 25 cents. I played it for a few years till I got settled down. Now at 71 I’ve built up a sizable collection. So the guitar doesn’t matter. Make music.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
So what if you have a less exspensive guitar -theirs too much hype about what a guitar costs or what its made of. What really matter is how does it sound when you play it . Its the musician not the guitar - i think we put to much emphasis on a guitar and not on what it can do -or what can someone do with it --

It's all about what inspires you to keep coming back to it, to keep learning and to keep creating. Putting collector aspect aside, even if you're not a professional musicians they are tools. A high-quality guitar, or I should say having the right high-quality guitar for the artist play style will inspire differently than what most budget guitars are capable of. It's in a lot of little nuanced things that add up to just making the playing experience great.

Sustain, quality intonation for getting those harmonics just right, that signature thump (if you're a Gibson lover), that signature balanced high-end (if you're a Taylor lover) or that signature clang (if you're a Martin lover). Less expensive guitars can deliver on these points as well, but you'll still pay $700-$1300 even for a all-solid wood import that gets you comparable dynamics at a bargain. You sub $400 entry level guitars can be great learning tools, but they lack some of the finer tonal qualities and again, it's about the inspiration that as your grow as a player those little details can make.

There is an aspect of how much a guitar cost that's all about exotic materials and manual labor. There may also be an iconic legacy tax with some brands. Companies charge as much as the market allows them to for products, as long as they can stay competitive and make profits they actually have a responsibility to their investors and shareholders to make as high of margin as they possibly can. That's not being unethical that's just the nature of every mass produced product bought and sold. A small shop luthier who builds more by hand than by machine is going to charge you more for their product. Is it a better product just because you paid more for it? Not necessarily, but if you buy from one of the respected ones it will buy you their trademark tone and put you in an exclusive small club of owners of the boutique brand, which can lead back to inspiration every time you pick it up.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 01-21-2020, 02:45 PM

The guitar matters to the point of "does it allow you to access the sound you want and does it allow you to play it the way that you feel comfortable?"

Other than that, it doesn't really. But that's an important distinction. And that guitar can really exist at any price point these days...we do kind of live in the Golden Age of Affordable Guitars (trademark pending)

I don't really buy into the whole "special guitar will inspire you to work harder" thing. That's probably true for some, but I know plenty of cats with "special" guitars that sit unplayed and other cats who spent thousands of hours honing their craft on a guitar that was all they could afford (that they happily ditched once they had the means!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-21-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleGorch View Post
When my father tossed me out at 18, he kept my Martin. Luckily I had friends that had guitars so I could play. After awhile I rented a room off a lady for 10 bucks a week. She had one of those guitars you win on the boardwalk for 25 cents. I played it for a few years till I got settled down. Now at 71 I’ve built up a sizable collection. So the guitar doesn’t matter. Make music.
If the guitar didn’t matter you would have kept or bought another number of .25 cent guitars (or their modern equivalent), not amassed a collection of guitars.

It doesn’t require demeaning the experience and enjoyment you gained by the cheap instrument, to recognize how much a great instrument increases every aspect of playing guitar.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-21-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I can only imagine an art forum discussion where someone posits the claim that a high school art composition is as good as a nationally recognized artists gallery collection.

That would be laughable, wouldn’t it? And probably the only ones thinking the high school students work was as good as the artists work, would be the parents of the student.

It’s yet another forum fallacy that resists all common sense. It’s in part driven by envy and lack of ability to differentiate good work from exceptional work. That has always, and will continue, to matter in subjects from art, wine, automobiles and guitars, despite opinions to the contrary.
To keep with your art analogy, no one is saying the painting isn't better. They're saying that the brush used to create the painting probably doesn't matter.

I view these threads more as a reminder that we don't NEED high dollar guitars to make great music.

Last edited by RedJoker; 01-21-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:11 PM

I never liked playing a guitar that did not sound good to me. Price is price. I have found that most player's search for that sound the individual like's to hear for his style of play. I have two very special acoustics one is a 07 Martin d-35 i found used, only after playing many D-35's . Second is a Larrivee OM-09. I have many many hours of playing time on each. I have owned Taylors, other Martins's, Breedlove's, let a nice Gibson i found but was not quick enough to buy. All fine guitars in their in own right. Each have a different sound, but the sound is what i like hear. I have been blessed to be able to buy pretty much buy what ever i wanted. It has always been about the sound or what i like to call the emotion i can pull from the instrument.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
To keep with your art analogy, no one is saying the painting isn't better. They're saying that the brush used to create the painting probably doesn't matter.

I view these threads more as a reminder that we don't NEED high dollar guitars to make great music.
Oh, some are most certainly saying the cheap guitar is as good as the custom model. It's an ingrained belief I've read on this forum repeatedly. I understand you may not feel that way but some do and it's analogous to my art reference.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-21-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Oh, some are most certainly saying the cheap guitar is as good as the custom model. It's an ingrained belief I've read on this forum repeatedly.
Probably as often as you've heard to opposite ingrained belief.

What does a "custom" model have to do with anything? A guitar needs to check all the boxes for a player -- has to exceed the required threshold and not be the limiting factor.

"Cheap" vs "custom" is a meaningless dichotomy in terms of what a given player requires.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:06 PM

I spent some time in Japan last year and I was full of the cold and really missing guitar. A guest house I stayed in had this old Morris - action high as hell, cheese wire strings that must have been on there for the best part of a decade. But just being able to play that night on the peaceful island of Miyajima was one of the nicest guitar experiences I have had. Making sure I wasn’t bugging the owner, I ended up playing until the sun set.

Any guitar can feel special given the right time, place and frame of mind.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:29 PM

Sure i came here over a decade ago to the same topic.

I really beat on and enjoy Yamaha.

But last year i sold my acoustic of 9 years happy ownership as i mainly play ukulele these days. I found little to compare as i tilted like a poker player at the guitar store. Luckily the guy had about 50k worth of guitars and let me buy mine back.

Tone really matters to the player and that pro grade return from your fingers. In a band? Bring the Yamaha unless its a solo set obv.

But making my Yamaha which i bring everywhere and just got a case for... (sorry) sing pleases me no end. Reaping the benefits of years of practice.

Yes and no i guess. I'm more player is the star.

Heck if tone was king we would all be playing hand made for the price of inflated price and not what they use to be American guitars.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I don't really buy into the whole "special guitar will inspire you to work harder" thing. That's probably true for some, but I know plenty of cats with "special" guitars that sit unplayed and other cats who spent thousands of hours honing their craft on a guitar that was all they could afford (that they happily ditched once they had the means!)

When I was younger and didn’t have two nickels to rub together, but had all the free time in the world, I spent countless hours playing whatever I could get my hands on. I had no concept of high end guitars, and had no idea what I was missing. When I got older and realized I’d all but abandoned something I’d loved so much for so long, going down the guitar rabbit hole and finally getting my hands on some nicer guitars did in fact inspire me to start playing again with much of the same enthusiasm I had when I was younger. The prospect of learning about, appreciating, and acquiring quality guitars wasn’t the only thing that got me playing again, but it certainly helped. So, for me, more or less due to timing and means, special guitars inspired harder work. But I wouldn’t really call it work because it’s just about my favorite way to spend my free time these days.

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467
Old 01-21-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Probably as often as you've heard to opposite ingrained belief.

What does a "custom" model have to do with anything? A guitar needs to check all the boxes for a player -- has to exceed the required threshold and not be the limiting factor.

"Cheap" vs "custom" is a meaningless dichotomy in terms of what a given player requires.
I didn't use the word "requires", you inserted it . I used "custom" and "cheap" to illustrate (unsuccessfully it appears) the vast difference between the two, based on the overarching discussion, does the guitar matter.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-21-2020, 06:07 PM

The OP's question has occurred to me over the years. In retrospect, despite the many guitars I've owned or wished I'd owned, deep down it remains valid. My dilemma is my own subjectivity invalidates it so it becomes a paradox.

The world of art is subjective, and only that, yet somehow the other side of the brain wants a say in the matter. It's like a nosy neighbor looking over your shoulder at everything you do and judging it through objective spectacles. So, you buy your guitar and then offset it by suddenly becoming dutiful to your chores to appease Mr Objectivity (and his betrothed), repeatedly.

Getting right down to it, though, yes it does matter what kind of guitar I have no differently than what kind of shoes I wear. Both have to fit properly. If the fit should become uncomfortable at some point, the guitar gets replaced.

Then, one day after I'm finally fully broken in and take a set in my guitar playing mannerisms, there will be that one final guitar that fits it best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion