The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-18-2014, 10:47 AM

Question O, OO, OOO, OM guitars, what does it mean?

O, OO, OOO, OM guitars, what does it mean?

Can someone please school me on the difference
of the above guitars?
I've only bought dreadnoughts, so I really don't know.
Thank you.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:04 AM

Basically, the "0" designation refers to the body size. An 0 body is quite small, a 00 is slightly larger and a 000 is larger still. All are smaller than a dreadnaught. An OM has the same body size as a a 000, but normally has a 25.4 inch scale length, as opposed to the 000's 24.9 inch scale. Also, the body shape of say a 12-fret 0, 00, or 000 is often different from the 14-fret models.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/.../sizetype.html
Old 11-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Guest 213

Here are a couple useful graphics:

Old 11-18-2014, 11:46 AM

I really like those who write concisely as aw meyer just did.
I tend to answer too much.
And pictures pretty much tell the story instantly...thanks Grace.

Thats said, let me add that the 0, 00, 000, and OM bodies are narrower than a dread in body depth--about 4 inches vs around 4 3/4.
(some are 4 1/8 vs 4 5/8, it can vary.)

An exception can be found in some Martin DB (Deep Body) models that adds the dreadnaught body depth to one of these smaller bodies.

For example, the Martin 00-16 Women and Music series (00-16DBR, 00-16DBM and others) and the 00-DB Jeff Tweedy model.
Incidentally, these models also have the longer scale length of 25.4 inches, where most 00 Martins will have the shorter 24.9 scale.
There are other exceptions.

I would also ask someone with more knowledge than I to verify that these terms, 0, 00, 000, OM, appear to be originally Martin designations that others have borrowed, and thus made variations along the way.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
…Can someone please school me on the difference of the above guitars?
Hi AE...

Specific dimensions attached to the labels vary with the builder. The most frequently shown/quoted dimensions are for Martin guitars, and they are not the only sizes being built.

Basically an OM, 0, 00, 000 are going to be smaller than a Dreadnought, and larger than a parlor.

They can be normal scale (25.4" or 25.5"), or short-scale which vary greatly. They come in models which have 12, 13 or 14 fret necks (how many frets the fingerboard has before the neck/body joint), solid head and slot head.

The bodies can be as shallow as 3" or as deep as 4.5" at the tail, and then generally get thinner by the time the neck/body joint.

You are more likely to find one of these smaller guitars with a 1¾" nut, and 2 3/16" or 2 ¼" string spacing at the saddle. This is why finger style players like them (the extra space for the fingers between strings).

Tone can vary greatly on these from very balanced across the string bed, to a strong mid-range presence with less bass, or even very trebly. Again it all depends on who builds it and what the woods are in the build.

I find that the all-solid models in a $1000 and up range (late 2014) will have a more full and rich sound than the all laminate, or solid top/laminate sides/back. One exception which I own personally is the Voyage-Air VAOM-06 which is solid top/laminate back, but has a very full tone for such a small instrument.

Some people categorize OM as better for finger style than Dreadnoughts, but I have not found this to be a universal principle...not even a good guideline. Many Dreadnoughts have particularly good balanced tone when finger styled, and they are louder than most OMs when finger styled.

A few outings to music stores are probably in order for you so you can experience the differences and surprises of playing small bodied guitars.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

I still refer to Martin designs and definitions.
I have a 1924 catalogue which is prior to the intriction of Dreadnoughts and defines as such :
Size 5 - three-quarter
Size 2 - Amateur
size 1 - standard
Size 0 - concert
size 00 - grand concert
size 000 - Auditorium

The 00 and 000 were later available in 14 fret versions as well as the original (and IMHO better) 12 fret. Every model larger than size 2 had a 1 &7/8" nut width and were not designed for plectrum styles (in their infancy at that time)

OM models were introduced in about 1929 was intended as the name indicates, as a plectrum style rhythm guitar for banjo players in dance bands.

The Dreadnought (about 1931) was regarded as a "grossly oversized" rhythm guitar to attempt to combat the archtops from Gibson et al.

That is why OMs and dreads have skinny necks - for closed chorded rhythm plectrum style.

The descriptions for sizes 5 to 000 indicate the intended capabilities of these guitars played to increasingly sized audiences without any amplification.

Almost all American and Far Eastern makers and some European makers still use essentially the same designs as those of the original Martins - because Martin had done their research and knew what worked best.

The popularity of skinny necked 14 fret OMs and Dreads being used for intricate flat and finger picking is an anomaly.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:34 PM

-edit-
[Silly Moustache was faster...]
Old 11-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
O, OO, OOO, OM guitars, what does it mean?

Can someone please school me on the difference
of the above guitars?
I've only bought dreadnoughts, so I really don't know.
Thank you.
I am not going to add to what the others have described, but to the OP just this: if you are use to Dreads you are probably use to a somewhat bass-heavy tonality. So in trying smaller guitars, give yourself some time playing to get use to the differences in tonal balance. Smaller guitars, particularly with shorter scale lengths, will also respond best to a different attack.

TW
Old 11-18-2014, 01:29 PM

Just a note and personal observation/opinion:

In lower quality/less expensive laminate guitars, the drop off in sound quality from dread to smaller guitars is more dramatic than in solid wood guitars of better quality.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Just a note and personal observation/opinion:

In lower quality/less expensive laminate guitars, the drop off in sound quality from dread to smaller guitars is more dramatic than in solid wood guitars of better quality.
This implies there's a drop-off in sound quality from dreads to smaller guitars in well-built solid models, which I don't believe is the case. Volume drop-off for sure, but quality of tone and resonance remains intact.

Just keeping you on your toes Dave
Old 11-18-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucedup View Post
This implies there's a drop-off in sound quality from dreads to smaller guitars in well-built solid models, which I don't believe is the case. Volume drop-off for sure, but quality of tone and resonance remains intact.
Just keeping you on your toes Dave
Good point. Not one that I agree with, but good point.

However, in inexpensive laminate guitars of similar quality & construction, there is going to be less of everything more apparent to the listener in a more pronounced declination than you'd hear in a high quality, solid wood, very good dread, compared to 000, 00, & 0 of the same quality/construction.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:18 PM

I find the smaller the body size the less less prone the guitar is to feedback with an installed K & K Pickup. Anyone know why?
Old 11-18-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw meyer View Post
Basically, the "0" designation refers to the body size. An 0 body is quite small, a 00 is slightly larger and a 000 is larger still. All are smaller than a dreadnaught. An OM has the same body size as a a 000, but normally has a 25.4 inch scale length, as opposed to the 000's 24.9 inch scale. Also, the body shape of say a 12-fret 0, 00, or 000 is often different from the 14-fret models.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/.../sizetype.html
The above info...plus the actual dimensions shown here:

http://www.martinguitar.com/features.../sizetype.html

Along with the photos posted by GraceGuitars should give an idea of the physical dimensions.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

From the man himself

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-18-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruth View Post
I find the smaller the body size the less less prone the guitar is to feedback with an installed K & K Pickup. Anyone know why?
Less surface area being driven by the sound system.
et al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion