The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-13-2020, 09:53 AM

I think the fact that the built-in audio doesn't crackle but the Focusrite does crackle points to a latency issue. This is nearly always a driver issue and not necessarily the Focusrite audio driver. Is the Focusrite audio driver certified for your version of Windows 7?

Latencymon is your friend here if you can understand what it's telling you.
If you had faulty ram your computer would just crash. A faulty hard drive would cause all sorts of problems and is probably not the case here either.

Back when I was still using Windws XP I had all sorts of issues. Even the acclaimed RME driver for my Babyface audio interface crackled like mad on some of my older computers.

Unfortunately unlike an Apple computer the many drivers required to run a Windows computer are often 3rd party (not Microsoft) and it only takes one badly written driver to trash low-latency audio.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-13-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I downloaded the Focusrite drivers the day after the problem started. Yesterday I listened to video/audio thoruhg headphones and the built-in soundcard, no crackling.
It's always possible you got defective Focusrite unit. Of course, try all the other options first before thinking about sending it back.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:57 PM

Except that the problem started the day before I hooked up the Focusrite, I would agree with the possible causes suggested.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-13-2020, 02:52 PM

Does your Windows 7 PC have automatic updates enabled?

Do you still have the old Tascam interface and does that now crackle and pop?

Would you consider updating to Windows 10?
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-14-2020, 07:41 AM

I normally do not keep the computer hooked to the 'net.

I ran LatencyMon last night, it immediately reported that there were problems with the audio, possibly caused by 'CPU throttling' and BIOS issues.
I updated BIOS (I had disabled all automatic updating a long time ago), and it took some time to complete, so will try out things tonight to see if anything improves.
I don't think the power-throttling is the real issue, because the crackling is happening even when there is just a single track in the Reaper project.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-14-2020, 07:59 AM

Mike have you tried these tips:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...o-on-Windows-7

I hope you manage to get it working again, it can be very frustrating when you just want to make music on your computer and this happens.
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-14-2020, 08:24 AM

This link contains some useful information on understanding LatencyMon reports:

https://support.native-instruments.c...dio-Processing
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-17-2020, 08:27 AM

Final follow-up with the old computer (probably)

Ran the updates, still had the same crackling noises. LatencyMon showed that the computer should be ok for audio.

Then I tried to boot up the old Roxio s/w I have been using for video editing. Would not boot up at all. (It ran fine before all the Win updates).
ARRGGHH - I did a system restore, computer would not do a restart after. Cold re-booted a couple of times, it finally started up (I actually left it for a few hours and when I came back it was on).
Tried Roxio - nope. Reaper, still crackling.
I was trying to edit a quick video I had shot, and found that whenever I tried to move the raw video file from the SD disc, Windows Explorer would crash! Eventually, I copied it onto my other computer, put it on a USB stick, then accessed that on the recording computer (different video s/w) directly from the USB stick.
Decided it was a very good time to backup my recording/music files (x3). One of my USB drives had a video file on it from when I had used it to transfer the file to the other computer, and Windows Explorer crashed when I tried to delete that file, too.
So after all that, I tried Reaper again, and it was coming up with an error - could not access the Focusrite. I downloaded and installed the drivers again, nothing! Tried different USB ports, tried rebooting computer, plugging/unplugging interface, nothing made a difference.
One interesting thing - when I had the computer on (rebooting0, interface turned off, but monitors on (plugged into the interface), there was a fair bit of low crackling/buzzing matching the sound of the hard drive booting up. When I turned on the interface, that noise went away.

I moved the Focusrite to the Win 10 computer, downloaded the drivers, and it worked fine - no crackling (using headphones to check (crackling on the other computer was with both monitors and headphones).
New computer is on its way.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-24-2020, 08:02 AM

Final update!
New computer arrived Friday. Nothing fancy, 3.1G speed quad core processor, 8G RAM, new 256G SSD (quiet!) $209 refurbished from Micomp through Walmart.com with a 4 year full coverage extended warranty for $45.

Spent Friday night and Saturday morning (and yesterday morning, too) getting all my software and files transferred and downloaded/authorized.
It's so nice to have crystal clear sound again, and there's no doubt my old Tascam interface, although it served me well for years, was past its prime.

Reaper 6.0 - I was very used to 4.0's GUI. I don't like how I no longer have volume, pan and width sliders on the track view track controls. Haven't figured out how to get them back (4.0 theme is not available, only 5.0 and 'classic' and 6.0/custom).
Also trying to figure out how to change some defaults (like track monitoring always on when you arm a new track to record)
I realized I had not transferred over my folder of reverb IRs (over 500 of them!), and had to plug in the old computer yesterday to retrieve them.
The old computer would sometimes take several minutes to load up Reaper and all my VSTs, this new one does it in less than 15 seconds.
For some reason, my reverb bus outputs seem to be much louder than previously, at least when creating new projects, have not messed with old ones yet, as I was tracking a couple of new songs.

Saffire 8i6 - wow, this interface's preamp inputs are transparent! Haven't tried the 'air' input feature yet.

EZDrummer and PodFarm licenses/downloads were painless (it helps to have log-ins/passwords saved).

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-24-2020, 09:25 AM

Glad to hear you finally had success with your new interface!! Sounds like you were due for a PC upgrade. Sometimes it takes something compelling like this to force your hand.

I have been using Reaper version 5. I see that 6 has an update to the UI but I haven't messed with it much yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD