The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-15-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Yeah, I still love the recordings...I was simply saying for someone who can't get into it on record, they might find seeing the process more invigorating.

Kinda like a Jackson Pollack painting.
Yeah - I grew up with jazz all around me - it was a living, breathing, live event that I was exposed to before I collected any records at all - for someone coming to this music without that grassroots exposure and only relying on recordings to “get to like it” - I can imagine it could be artificial.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:42 AM

People like what they like, but I think it's a misconception that you really have to understand music theory and harmony to enjoy jazz guitar. Honestly you don't even need that to play it! Wes Montgomery didn't read music, for example, and Joe Pass boiled it all down to, "it's either major, minor, or a 7 chord".

Jazz guitar has been my main bag since I was a teenager and grew out of Ted Nugent, Black Sabbath, etc. Once you get past the energy and attitude of rock, a lot of it is plodding and boring. I took a lot of guitar lessons back then, learned chords & scales up & down the neck, etc. When I got into jazz, from Al DiMeola fusion onto Charlie Parker bebop, all that technique I learned made sense.

A few years ago I actually circled back and focused on acoustic music, Travis style & such, when it occurred to me that fingerpicking styles and simpler tunes could expand my repertoire and add to my jazz playing.

You can play a lot of music with "cowboy chords" (just not much modern jazz or standards). But if that's as far as you go, it's just scratching the surface of what can be done with a guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write