The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-25-2019, 04:40 PM

Default 2010s comes to an end

I've seen a few top 10 lists of the top x of the 2010s. Anything stand out to you in this decade as a major accomplishment for humankind? Or the opposite? How about from a personal perspective?

What will the 2020s bring? Hoping to see some exciting news with space exploration.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Or the opposite? How about from a personal perspective?
2019 was a nightmare for me and my son.
I hope 2020 is better.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:44 PM

It’s always important to take a long term view of history to understand what to expect for the future, and after another decade has passed without any major uncontrolled nuclear explosions, and aside from the popular hogwash of the next generation being more environmentally friendly, the bottom line which is crystal clear is that human beings are addicted to energy consumption, and that the per capita consumption of electricity continues to rise, so planning and managing it safely is the priority - nuclear energy is the only technology able to deliver on future energy consumption, like it or not.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:20 PM

The 2010’s could be seen as the decade when many social norms started to evolve. It was also the decade when social media cemented itself as a driver of culture. The smartphone war was on its second generation and intensified to today’s smartphones being more powerful than high end PC’s from 2009.

The entertainment industry did more of the same. I can’t think of a memorable movie or music album that was released in this decade. However, YouTube, periscope, and Instagram and other social media driven video creating sites, gave birth to a new era of celebrities. There is now such thing as an “Instagram model”, and “YouTube star”. And they’re making quite the lucrative income to back up their “star” titles.

This is also the decade when the bulk of the millennials entered early adulthood after going through the 2008-2012 recession. And with that, they developed a different mindset towards established socioeconomic norms. Millennials now don’t really care about having the dream job with the big house with white picket fence, and nice car. They rather grab a backpack and a one-way ticket to anywhere and experience the world.

I’m expecting the 2020’s to be the decade when we reach the green technology that will not only make sense to most, but that it will truly replace fossil fuels. So we’ll see.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:52 PM

I make the best of the decade but good riddance.

It may be the hardest decade for me, and this thread really has me reflecting. There was some really good things that keep me positive, but yeah- character building for sure.

Cheers to the new year and let's hope we survive as a species and love one another! If we don't......

I do think things will get better- how can it not?
Old 12-25-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

What will the 2020s bring? Hoping to see some exciting news with space exploration.
Time enough for that once we get this planet sorted.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:33 AM

I think the US financial markets had a great decade.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:47 AM

It was not the sort of happy and peaceful retirement decade I hoped to have. Things are stable now, but at age 70, I've been personally marginalized to the point of virtual non-existence.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:50 AM

For me, the 2010’s reinforced and emphasized that it’s the things like having inner peace, family and friendship that matter the most. I’ve also learned that caring for others and having patience have enriched my life.
A lot of the rest of what’s going on is “white noise” to me and I practiced tuning it out. I’ve done a pretty decent job of that and I’m happier than ever.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-26-2019, 06:59 AM

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today we have a gift appropriately known as ‘the present’.”

I’ll have to look up this attribution, but we have to always look forward, as we have no other choice. Onward to the new year!

* common attribution is to Bil Keane, writer of “the Family Circus” cartoon, but it looks like the sentiment has been around for many years.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:48 AM

Strictly from the acoustic guitar point of view, I'd say it was a stellar decade. Lots and lots of awesome guitars, sound systems, amplifiers, DIs, pickups, microphones not to mention some amazing players. It has been the very best decade from that angle.

As for everything else, if the decade were a guitar, it'd be badly out of tune and in dire need of serious restoration. As I enter my 8th decade, I am not very optimistic at this time for my grandchildren's future, sorry to say.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:14 AM

The decade we reached 7B people. Well on the way to 8B people.
That's a lot of footprints to argue about the size of footprints.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 12-26-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
2019 was a nightmare for me and my son.
I hope 2020 is better.
By some measures you could say that for us. It was a decade with 3 years of cancer, some financial hardship, and tremendous work challenges.

Yesterday was an interesting reminder of why you must move on. The holiday was interrupted by a work emergency. One of my kids drove and helped me. From the other director and I acting on it he got another lesson in "just shut up and deal with it".

On our trip home we stopped in the town I grew up in and to look at the rust belt family business we sold in the 1980s to survive being about a month from bankruptcy. What was once our everything and pride is a few blocks abandoned ghost town. What we cared for and made ourselves was a rotting mess. Then we visited his amazing survivor grandmother. It was a good lesson for the teenager to see and remember stuff is just stuff and see how you must move on.

For about a minute I was sad to see that small ghost town. I was sad to think of the any people and stuff we made gone or rusting or rotting. Now failed and abandoned by successive owners. Then I remembered what we did when our life seemed falling apart then - dad died young, recession, struggling to meet payroll, business changing, everything falling apart. The sun came out and we moved on again.

It was kind of a tremendous way to end the decade. Not just see that perspective but hopefully help my kids know what my mom taught and what we all learned when everything fell apart and seemed so bleak. Deal with it and don't stop until you're dead.

My hope for where we are after a hard decade and what we saw is my 3 kids have that survivor way I hope they see in their grandmothers and parents. I wish you the best for the next decade.

The past decades was just more reminder that you get run over if you stop running hard yourself.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:48 AM

This is probably TMI but my wife and I both have issues with depression so I think we're going to try to focus more on gratitude. It's easy to say but it will no doubt seem strange, it will be awkward, and it may not even work but at least we're going to try something to move forward....
Old 12-26-2019, 08:53 AM

Default This is gonna sound crazy...

A decade full of increasing instant news giving the average Joe way too much info .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic