The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
So does Perform cut Bluetooth gain?
I did not test that... I trust DavidE. I wanted to make a test that would add new pieces of information.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-17-2019, 02:20 PM

Has anyone had any experience with JBL/Harman Audio support for a problem with one of their products? I've read nothing but stellar comments here for Bose when one of you has had a problem with one of their speakers.

JBL was little to no help with the Bluetooth issue I have with an EON610 (BT EQ control/settings connection problems). I sent a detailed email of the problem to their email support and essentially got back a canned response back linking me to their FAQ website page of things I already had tried. Not sure a phone call would yield any better results and the BT EQ probably isn't that important to me to phone them up, just aggravating that a part of the speaker doesn't work as it should.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with JBL/Harman Audio support for a problem with one of their products? I've read nothing but stellar comments here for Bose when one of you has had a problem with one of their speakers.

JBL was little to no help with the Bluetooth issue I have with an EON610 (BT EQ control/settings connection problems). I sent a detailed email of the problem to their email support and essentially got back a canned response back linking me to their FAQ website page of things I already had tried. Not sure a phone call would yield any better results and the BT EQ probably isn't that important to me to phone them up, just aggravating that a part of the speaker doesn't work as it should.
I think DavidE might have experienced both Bose and JBL service.

Note that people who experienced the JBL eon one pro "overheat" problem sent them back right away...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 12-17-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Update Video

Old 12-17-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
The Bose S1 sounded much better than the JBL to me. I don't think they can add any gain to channel 3 through firmware. It would require a hardware change based on my experience with JBL's attempt to mod my JBL Eon One (original).

I'll bet the price on that bag will be stupid. :-)
Old 12-17-2019, 03:48 PM

Oh no!!

The Bose S1 sounds so much better on your video!!
The JBL sounds super boxy in comparison.

The truth is, I think it is totally unfair to compare the Bose S1 and the JBL EQed flat.

The JBL EQed flat does sound BOXY. But I am pretty sure Bose S1 is pre-EQed.

Aaron also underlines one problem. The JBL mic preamp is weaker than the Bose S1's.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Last edited by Cuki79; 12-17-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Oh no!!

The truth is, I think it is totally unfair to compare the Bose S1 and the JBL EQed flat.

Aaron also underline one problem. The JBL mic preamp is weaker than the Bose S1's.
So you think that all of the preamps are weak compared to the S1??
Old 12-17-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
So you think that all of the preamps are weak compared to the S1??
On the video, you said the mic was at maximum. Your voice sounded less loud than with the Bose.

But it is not fair, you were not in "Perform" mode. You did not get the 3.5dB extra gain.

The point is, when not EQed, the JBL spends most of its power amplifying mud. That's what we hear on the videos. The Bose S1, similarly his big brother the L1 focuses on clarity. All the low mid and low muddy frequencies are already removed. A fair test, is to EQ the JBL to its best.

However, my personal experience with the JBL is that the mic preamp was the limiting factor... But I tweaked my DIY pickup preamp...

I can hear some distortion coming from the guitar on your video... That could be also a limitation.

We have to admit that the Bose S1 sounds to its best "as is".

The JBL needs to be tweaked.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 12-17-2019, 05:22 PM

It's first test I hear with the JBL sounding so boxy.. :-( maybe this pick-up doesn't like the JBL with no EQ. Here another video where Harry Stout starts liking it a lot
https://youtu.be/eU89fwprGLo
Old 12-17-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

I've seen two reviews online earlier this month noting a problem with the battery charge zeroing if the temperature is below 40 degrees. The reviewers reported that the speaker will still work plugged in and JBL is working on a firmware solution. Does anyone else have insights about this or are these reviewers in error?
Old 12-17-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I've seen two reviews online earlier this month noting a problem with the battery charge zeroing if the temperature is below 40 degrees. The reviewers reported that the speaker will still work plugged in and JBL is working on a firmware solution. Does anyone else have insights about this or are these reviewers in error?
There's a firmware update for the battery indicator in cold weather, among other bugs. I can't find the info on JBL's website, but Aaron has the info in his video a couple of posts up.

Last edited by DavidE; 12-17-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
So does Perform cut Bluetooth gain?
I tested this again tonight. It does. How strange. Even flat is louder. But fear not, you can eq the bluetooth channel!
Old 12-17-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Oh no!!

Aaron also underlines one problem. The JBL mic preamp is weaker than the Bose S1's.
Using only the bass and treble controls on the unit I'm able to get very nice sounds out of the JBL with my Turner Renaissance RS6. I'll do some comparison with the S1 tomorrow and see if I can capture some of the "magic" of the S1 that makes me love it so much.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I saw one of those reviews and had a good laugh. There is zero, absolutely zero
chance I'd ever be playing a gig outside in near freezing temperatures, and I live in Wisconsin. The one guy said he was playing a wedding or something like that outside in 36* or thereabouts? Haha. Hard core, man. My fingers stiffen up if room temps are in the mid 60s.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:50 PM

I have not read (or seen) a comment on this feature:

"Two performance orientations: monitor and vertical; tuning and mixer displays automatically adjust"

The difference in the amount of bass in the 4 positions of the S1 are pretty obvious.

As far as I can figure, the JBL has only 2 positions, "vertical" (table/pole) and monitor. I did not feel any switch in the pole hole. At low volume (wife's asleep), I do think I hear decreased bass when I switch from table to monitor. However, I do not see any change in the mixer display. Any idea what JBL is talking about?

Also, I had some bad bluetooth connection when streaming music from a new iPhone 11 that was less than a foot away from the Compact. It went away quickly, but that shouldn't happen at all. Anyone else?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
compact, eon, jbl