The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-24-2019, 02:31 AM

I'm guessing Emerald uses the [email protected] email address convention?
Old 11-24-2019, 09:12 AM

This is a very useful review for me, since I’ve been getting very close to ordering an X30 for a week or two. It doesn’t change my mind - yet - but it gives me pause. Thuddy/resonant notes can really ruin a guitar for me if it’s pronounced. All guitars seem to have them somewhere, but if they are manageable and not intrusive, it’s generally all good. Please keep the info coming.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalton View Post
This is a very useful review for me, since I’ve been getting very close to ordering an X30 for a week or two. It doesn’t change my mind - yet - but it gives me pause. Thuddy/resonant notes can really ruin a guitar for me if it’s pronounced. All guitars seem to have them somewhere, but if they are manageable and not intrusive, it’s generally all good. Please keep the info coming.
I don't want to rain on anybody's Emerald parade - I own two and think they are great guitars. However, I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the possibility of being hit with an additional and unexpected US Customs Fee. It seems to happen infrequently, but it does happen and it happened to me. After an extra week of US Customs detention of my X20-12, I got a post office card in my mailbox saying that I owed $238. Quite frankly, the folks at Emerald weren't real helpful in getting this straightened out until Alistair agreed to split this extra cost.

My point in mentioning this is not to re-discuss what happened to me but just so that any potential US buyer of an Emerald knows that he/she may be unexpectedly subject to an additional cost once the guitar enters the United States...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-24-2019, 10:32 AM
Guest 928

Four Emeralds, and never hit by extra duty. Must be part of the new normal.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Four Emeralds, and never hit by extra duty. Must be part of the new normal.
And thus the use of the word "unexpected"....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-24-2019, 01:00 PM

Does it have a pickup installed? Pickups and cables can also cause some weird stuff to happen with sympathetic vibrations and dead notes, etc.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:17 PM

Yes, it's got an SBT installed, K&K pure mini. Good suggestion, I'll take a look there when I can.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3stat View Post

I wasn't terribly impressed with my ordering experience (but I won't name my customer service rep just yet). To be fair, it could have been because I ordered during the mad September rush for orders to get fulfilled by Christmas, and also given the time difference I didn't call. My experience was that replies were not timely, some questions were overlooked and some answers given were vague, and still unanswered after repeated asking. This was why I had no idea a D'addario tuner would be included. Is there some merit to reaching out to Alistair directly? Or would that be bad form? I don't want to cause any problems for anyone. Any advice would be appreciated!
I read this and thought I'd commiserate. I have two Emeralds, an X20 and a new X7, and they've become pretty much the only guitars I play. So I love the product. But the front end of the company is not, shall we say, as professional as I would expect from a company with Emerald's reputation for customer service. I'm sure the rep I worked with on my custom X7 order is a great guy. But he's also obviously not a trained customer service professional. The statement "replies were not timely and answers given were vague" reflects my experience exactly. As a contrast, I just ordered some drone parts from a small, family-owned company. They shipped us the wrong parts, but when I let them know they handled it immediately with skill and humility. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again, or recommend them to others. The difference between my Emerald communication experience and this experience is akin to talking with my distracted 20-something nephew vs. talking to a fully-invested professional with years of experience.

Now, I will say, there were a couple of occasions during the process where I was lucky enough to communicate with Alistair directly, and that's when things got done. Alistair is a pro, without question. But one way or another he would benefit from spending some time assuring that communication with customers improves.

Anyway, off to keep working on the new Joe Henry tune "Bloom." I'm still amazed how that low open E resonates on that small X7 body. Lovely.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:59 AM

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export

"Under what is known as its "301" authority, the United States may impose a much higher than normal duty rate on products from certain countries.
Currently, the United States has imposed a 100 percent rate of duty on certain products of Austria, Belgium, {snip}, Greece, Ireland, etc..."

When my x7 arrived in UAE I paid about $284.
Coming through US customs in Dublin I paid another $120.

It's my understanding that customs duties, fees, and taxes are to be declared and paid.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export

"Under what is known as its "301" authority, the United States may impose a much higher than normal duty rate on products from certain countries.
Currently, the United States has imposed a 100 percent rate of duty on certain products of Austria, Belgium, {snip}, Greece, Ireland, etc..."

When my x7 arrived in UAE I paid about $284.
Coming through US customs in Dublin I paid another $120.

It's my understanding that customs duties, fees, and taxes are to be declared and paid.
Very interesting. So there was some sort of vague basis for my having to pay a ransom on my Emerald 12-string. I say vague because this extra duty seems to be applied very inconsistently...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-25-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:42 AM

The more research I do the more confusing it gets. The processes have been inconsistent but I expect that to change.
Regarding your possible tour in Ireland and if you pick up a guitar there, if you declare it you'll almost be certain to pay customs.
Though it is only 3%,
I think https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...toms-duty-info
Old 11-25-2019, 10:14 AM
Guest 928

If you purchase and play the guitar in Ireland would it then be considered used and thus charged less duty?
Old 11-25-2019, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
If you purchase and play the guitar in Ireland would it then be considered used and thus charged less duty?
And then charged a customs fee for any Guiness we drank that was still in our system....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-25-2019, 07:07 PM
Guest 928

I'll remember to drink Tequila if I visit Ireland.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumokids View Post
Anyway, off to keep working on the new Joe Henry tune "Bloom."
Didn't know he had cancer and didn't know he was Madonna's cousin. Wrote "Don't Tell Me" among other things. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/18/a...joe-henry.html

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber