The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-19-2019, 06:08 PM

Default Guitars that are easier to record?

Just wondering, from your experience, do you find that certain guitars are easier than others to get a good recorded sound ? I reckon bass heavy guitars are harder to record, yes?
Old 10-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

"Harder" is probably the wrong word. With any acoustic guitar, you have to use your ears when placing the mics and figure out which is the best position for them. A boomier guitar can present difficulties in an untreated room where bass frequencies will build up and the result will sound muddy, but an untreated room can be a challenge for any acoustic guitar.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-20-2019, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Just wondering, from your experience, do you find that certain guitars are easier than others to get a good recorded sound ? I reckon bass heavy guitars are harder to record, yes?
In my experience generalizations are few and seldom apply to, or reflect the reality of, the vast amount of possible variables in recording.

While low end build up is one "general" consideration in recording, again the variables at play make blanket statements questionable.
And considering bass guitars and stand up basses are recorded routinely as well , I'm guessing there isn't a significant issue of increased difficulty specific to a type of guitar.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-20-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
... considering bass guitars and stand up basses are recorded routinely as well , I'm guessing there isn't a significant issue of increased difficulty specific to a type of guitar.
For me there absolutely is. I've seen an exception or two, but generally a strummed Martin D in a situation where I can't isolate it is a nightmare. It's astonishing to me how one of those can sound so great in my lap, yet so boomy on-mic if I can't get at least 4 feet or so away.

And FWIW, upright basses aren't necessarily easy. They're even more individual and quirky than guitars are, most players can't or won't keep them in one spot while they play, and the best spot to place a mic might be exactly where the player will hit it with the bow you didn't know they were going to use.

Couch Standards
Old 10-20-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Some guitar/mic/room/player/studio/live/final-mix combinations are going to be more difficult than others. Too many variables to generalize, though you might have a very specific use case where you could improve your odds, so to say, by a choice of guitar or mic placement.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:54 PM

I agree to everything said above and add: If you go for a usable result, for me a balanced sounding guitar is much easier to record. If you go for a great sounding result, it can be hard work on any guitar.
And it always depends on the tone the player offers, the mics available, the room sound, the situation (recording seperately or all in one room) ...
I think there is good reason why many love a D18 in the studio but do not love a HD28 in the same environment.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 10-21-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
For me there absolutely is. I've seen an exception or two, but generally a strummed Martin D in a situation where I can't isolate it is a nightmare. It's astonishing to me how one of those can sound so great in my lap, yet so boomy on-mic if I can't get at least 4 feet or so away.

And FWIW, upright basses aren't necessarily easy. They're even more individual and quirky than guitars are, most players can't or [B]won't keep them in one spot while they play, and the best spot to place a mic might be exactly where the player will hit it with the bow you didn't know they were going to use.
FWIW I think many acoustic instruments are a bit difficult to record well. And the OP was our asking for our personal experiences . Which I am guessing are all over the map.
Given the situations you list above, I would guess
"the vast amount of possible variables in recording." is still at play.

Interestingly enough (and while I personally have not recorded a Martin D), but in the month +, I spent visiting studio's in Nashville, the D 28 was what I saw most often being used for recording acoustic guitar parts.
No doubt everybody's mileage will vary ...which was kinda my point..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-21-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
... in the month +, I spent visiting studio's in Nashville, the D 28 was what I saw most often being used for recording acoustic guitar parts.
In the same room with other instruments playing at the same time?

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 10-21-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Lots of discussion about the placement of mics, room prep etc.
Regarding a guitar that records well- Maybe a guitar built with tone woods on the back and sides that compress some?
Perhaps a D-28 with Mahogany, maple, or walnut instead of Rosewood?
Old 10-21-2019, 09:43 AM

A good place to start is using the guitar that you sound the best on.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In the same room with other instruments playing at the same time? No actually , again more variables
Same time yes, same room no and sort of but , some in ISO booths, some in big room with gobos

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-21-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Same time yes, same room no and sort of but , some in ISO booths, some in big room with gobos
Right. And never with the player singing at the same time. Unless the artist was just being a roadmap for the band, not going for keeper takes.

Couch Standards

Last edited by KevWind; 10-21-2019 at 01:32 PM. Reason: opps hit edit instead of quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Right. And never with the player singing at the same time. Unless the artist was just being a roadmap for the band, not going for keeper takes.
Sounds about right I would guess.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-21-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Except in bluegrass.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russchapman View Post
Except in bluegrass.
Well I think I understand what Brent is saying. Within a certain set of criteria a stummed D 28 or similar bass heavy guitar is more of challenge to record .
Which may well be,,,,, I haven't tried it. But a specific set of criteria is actually moving away from a generalized statement . Which again was my original point.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD