The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2014, 01:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Schireson Guitar: Ever Seen One?

This company was out of Los Angeles and goes all the way back to 1906. Anyone ever see one? I'm looking to buy one just as an oddity. They got sued (successfully) by Dobro and I think also National for copyright infringement on their resonator cone design.

Anyone who has any info, appreciate the input.

Thanks,
Charmed Life
Old 07-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

I've got an SS Maxwell that has a Shireson cone. I'm getting ready to sell a few guitars to pay for a custom build. This will be available if you're interested.

This Maxwell is probably from the late 30s or early 40s

[IMG]SS Maxwell 1[/IMG]
Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

DotNeck: Thanks. That's a pretty one. I know that Schireson made for other manufacturers -- for instance, Hollywood and Kay.

Does it say Schireson anywhere on the guitar? I have a specific reason for asking this.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 AM

This isn't mine, but I thought you might appreciate the photo: - it's Schireson's top-of-the-line Hollywood model:

A big step up from the all-birch cheapo models such as the SS Maxwell in the post above. Lots of inlays, fancy binding, mahogany body...but still that same inefficient Schireson cone:

I guess you can say they sound "interesting" in a mellow kind of way, but they don't have anything resembling the volume and power of a National. I have only played a couple of them, but the ones I've had in my hands did not strike me as particularly toneful resonator instruments.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Cone Head:

Great username, BTW -- love it. I'm actually looking to purchase this for a friend. It was more to do with sentimental quality than tonal. Thanks, though.

Anyone out there have a Schireson guitar they're willing to part with?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just reviving this thread. How 'bout it? Anyone out there ever seen a Schireson guitar?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 PM

I own a Shireson/Kay Kraft resonator. Interesting 14 fret slothead.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone Head View Post
A big step up from the all-birch cheapo models such as the SS Maxwell in the post above. Lots of inlays, fancy binding, mahogany body...but still that same inefficient Schireson cone:

Kay made the S.S. Maxwell "amplifying" guitars for Targ and Dinner and some of the Hollywood guitars for the Shireson Bros. out in L.A. The upper tier Maxwells had the fancy binding and that stuff as well. The Maxwell in the pic looks to be a Credenza which was the entry level model but which was still made with mahogany - not birch. All Kay-built resos were made with mahogany bodies. Kay also made resos under the Kay Kraft and Kay Deluxe names.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

zombywoof: Thanks. Yes, I knew Schireson made guitars with/for Kay, and also Hollywood. Thanks for the pic!

Has anyone seen one with the actual Schireson name on the headstock? I knew they're out there cuz I've seen pics of them.

Thanks,
CharmedLife
Old 08-06-2014, 10:06 PM

The amplifying guitars were made by Kay - Shireson only supplied the cones and hardware.

I have played a couple of Hawaiian lap guitars and a bajo sexto which had a Shireson Bros. label. But I have never run across anything else. Does not mean they were not making parlor guitars or whatever only that I have not gotten my hands on one.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
The amplifying guitars were made by Kay - Shireson only supplied the cones and hardware.

I have played a couple of Hawaiian lap guitars and a bajo sexto which had a Shireson Bros. label. But I have never run across anything else. Does not mean they were not making parlor guitars or whatever only that I have not gotten my hands on one.
I'm not positive, Zomby, but I believe there ARE some actual Schireson branded guitars out there. I happen to know one of the descendants of the Schireson brothers and have heard this from him.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
I'm not positive, Zomby, but I believe there ARE some actual Schireson branded guitars out there.
This is what I heard:
Schireson instruments were built in California, not Chicago.
When National decimated Schireson in a lawsuit, the completed, assembled instruments were destroyed and the bodies and hardware were "traded" to Kay (and possibly Regal).

To my eye, the top of that Maxwell is definitely not mahogany!
Old 08-10-2014, 02:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

So has anyone on this board ever seen or owned a guitar with the Schireson logo on the headstock? I'm looking to acquire one for my collection, but have never actually held one in my hands.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone Head View Post
This is what I heard:
Schireson instruments were built in California, not Chicago.
When National decimated Schireson in a lawsuit, the completed, assembled instruments were destroyed and the bodies and hardware were "traded" to Kay (and possibly Regal).

To my eye, the top of that Maxwell is definitely not mahogany!
Does anyone know anything more about Schireson guitars and/or resonators?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks to those who posted pics and comments.

Has anyone else out there seen or play or perhaps even own a Schireson branded guitar? I'm looking buy one to add to my collection.

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion