The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 AM

Default Cordoba Cadete

I've been using a little Yamaha "guilele" (6-string uke) for a while now as an "armchair" guitar.

I fool around mostly with chord-melody stuff. It's a cheap instrument, and a bit cramped at the higher frets. I've been looking for something a little better.

I was intrigued by the announcement of the Cordoba Mini series... Made much the same way but with solid tops and better woods over all. However, these are specified as having a 50mm nut width....Even wider than the standard classical guitar I gave up on because of the width.

So I spotted the Cadete last night.... A 3/4 size instrument. Likewise solid-topped. It's been out a while and there are a number of reviews online, all pretty positive. The only complaints are about lower volume (what, you were expecting a 3/4 size "boomer"?).

Anyone have any experience with these smaller-size classics? I know, it's not TOO much trouble to get up and plug in the semi-hollow electric.... but it's nice to just sort of sit back in the recliner and pick out arrangements.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:49 PM

Got into smaller sizes about a year ago, and LOVE to play them- No one wants to hear my genius anyway- it mentally disturbs their PUNY delusions-

and I find the smaller scales play faster and with more comfort. I can practice more easily and longer, and not be troubled by a guitar scale otherwise just too large to comfortably fret with my old and feeble fingers. I might even have decided the same thing younger! They help my "finesse" in every way I think and I haven't got a lot of that.

After trying several- I've settled on Cordobas- A Requinto 580 (quite small but what a strummer!- my on the bed TV guitar) A 3/4 Protégé- same thing as a Cadete with a spruce top I can take to the coffee shop without so much worry- barely a $100 investment- new "blem" on ebay- and a Cordoba Dolce 7/8 that is pretty much my replacement for full sized practice-

I like the 3/4 scale about as well as any- I think its 615 mm? and I just wish they'd make the bodies at least a 1/4 to 3/8 inch thicker, because that wouldn't much affect the playability, and would then give it volume closer to full-scale classical guitars. The Dolce is 625 mm scale and the body is as big and loud- though less resonant- than a manuel Rodrigues full sized Cedar top rosewwood body C-1

I finally arrived at the feeling that someone somehow fears smaller scales, because they are sooo comfortable and more playable to a host fo people other than adult males.

I bought a used Cadete at one point I had to return to GC because the high action was at it's limit and it was built before they put in truss rods. But otherwise it was VERY high quality well made and fantastic sounding guitar. Got the Protégé then, and quite happy with it.

Ukuleles are great too and otherwise led me into a smaller classical direction, where I'm no lomger afraid to STRUM as well as fingerpick. I too had a Yamaha gitarlele I found TOO small to fingerpick and returned. But ukes are great for developing the rhythmic aspect of guitar..

Final recommendation- get a newer one with a truss rod in the neck and good luck with them!

Last edited by harpon; 03-30-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Cordoba Cadete

I considered the Cadete but much prefer the C9 Parlor. It's a 7/8. A little less volume than a standard size nylon but more bass than a 3/4.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical