The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-27-2015, 01:24 AM

Default new classical guitar recommendation needed

So, i have an old Hofner solid top lam b&s i practise on. Not bad sounding but unplayable beyond fret 7. Also a gigging guitar RW and spruce w cutaway nice neck with electronics, amplified great but acoustic rather flat sounding bought for 400 euro.
Playing more classical music nowadays i would like to play a good guitar but can't afford a luthier made one. Budget between 700 and 1000 euro.
2 thoughts: German Hofner or Hanika, probably made in China or Spanish/ Portuguese made guitar. I would like to try a non Rosewood like Mah or even Walnut, cedar or spruce. Any ideas?
Old 02-27-2015, 01:46 AM

Hi Ballynally,
I have a Spanish-made classical by Amalio Burguet which is really nice and they do a range at varying prices. Also, a company in the Czech Republic named Kremona which does a range of stringed instruments including guitars. I got to know about them when I bought one of their ukuleles. Instruments of both these companies have the look of having been touched by a human during building and not to have come straight out of a machine.
Have a look. They're both on the web.
Good luck in your quest.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
Hi Ballynally,
I have a Spanish-made classical by Amalio Burguet which is really nice and they do a range at varying prices. Also, a company in the Czech Republic named Kremona which does a range of stringed instruments including guitars. I got to know about them when I bought one of their ukuleles. Instruments of both these companies have the look of having been touched by a human during building and not to have come straight out of a machine.
Have a look. They're both on the web.
Good luck in your quest.
Ah yes i took a look at Kremona. Nice solid top and b&s.Wouldnt really trust their qc and would need hands on an instrument in any case which might be difficult for Kremona.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

For a Spanish made guitar I would recommend Alhambra. In my experience their quality is consistent and all I have tried play well. I own a 7P (spruce over EIR) and it is a nice guitar.

Dave
Old 02-27-2015, 01:46 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

+1 for an Alhambra, my 7C is all solid and cost around 400eu in 2008, just email the company for the current price list and brochure. They are pretty quick to respond to direct emails (info at alhambrasl.com). If you can get your hands on the Alhambra or Admira guitars, they have some pretty good instruments in your price range. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2015, 02:45 PM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C10C

OR

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C10S

Old 02-27-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballynally View Post
So, i have an old Hofner solid top lam b&s i practise on. Not bad sounding but unplayable beyond fret 7. Also a gigging guitar RW and spruce w cutaway nice neck with electronics, amplified great but acoustic rather flat sounding bought for 400 euro.
Playing more classical music nowadays i would like to play a good guitar but can't afford a luthier made one. Budget between 700 and 1000 euro.
2 thoughts: German Hofner or Hanika, probably made in China or Spanish/ Portuguese made guitar. I would like to try a non Rosewood like Mah or even Walnut, cedar or spruce. Any ideas?
I have heard that term before,
What do you mean by saying its unplayable beyond the 7th frett?
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 02-28-2015, 03:05 AM

Hi Dafiryde, this expression usually means that the action is so high that by the time you get to the 7th fret you could drive a car under the strings. This is often caused by a bowed neck and/or a sunken soundboard (top).
It usually applies to low cost instruments. Hope that helps.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:45 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

The Cordobas posted above are both rosewood, try the C9 if you can get your hands on one (which I suspect may be difficult): http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C9C
I found this site, in case you're in Germany: http://www.thomann.de/gb/cordoba_classical_guitars.html
Might still be easier to find Spanish made instruments where you are, and used options are always floating around in Spain and France, at least.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
Hi Dafiryde, this expression usually means that the action is so high that by the time you get to the 7th fret you could drive a car under the strings. This is often caused by a bowed neck and/or a sunken soundboard (top).
It usually applies to low cost instruments. Hope that helps.
Thanks, always wanted to know
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 03-01-2015, 03:58 AM

Thanks for your posts.
For the top i'm slightly more partial to cedar but it depends on the back and sides
I haven't quite made up my mind about what back and sides i want. I've played some really nice mahogany ones but the quality varies so much. Rosewood is pretty standard but i've come across walnut which i like on other instruments. Walnut is usually found on lower end guitars but i have a portuguese Braguesa and i really like the sound. It's a tighter sound than mahogany, that's because it's more stiff but not quite as much as rosewood. It's relatively inexpensive and i could get an all solid for around 300 euro. Then maple might be an option or even ovangkol.
Anyway, thanks for the recommendations. I'll look out for them when i visit guitar shops soon.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:35 AM

I bought a new Kremona Fiesta recently (3-4 months ago). It is a Cedar top with solid Rosewood back and sides. I paid... I think around $700 bucks for it, which I believe is a pretty good deal. I believe for the price, it is a very nice guitar. It rings like a bell and seems to be very well built.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical