The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-10-2010, 01:37 PM

Default Junkyard Ginnin'

I was playing around last night and came up with a song I thought was nice to play. So I tried to record a version and had a lot of fun doing it.

It also gave me a chance to use some of the little instruments I have bought through the years - there is some shakers, my washboard, one of those wooden things you scrape with a stick, my slide whistle, a bit of slide guitar, an old children's tamborine and a jaw harp. Also hand clapping a couple of times. I hope it is not too messy, there are a lot of percussion instruments and it is a bit hard to keep it good.

My wife sings twice, and the main guitar (simple alternating-bass) is my Larrivee. Was going to call it "Bathtub Gin", but thought it sounded more junkyard-like

Junkyard Ginnin'

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 10-10-2010, 02:24 PM

Give me double shot of that Junkyard Gin! I love it. Great job on vocals and the picking is just great. I love the extra instruments that you add!!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 10-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Mark Woolnough

Lots of good examples to learn from for me in there Shawlie .A great example of the person making music ,not the instruments .I smiled impulsively untill i laughed out loud .Even a clap as you say in the right hand at the right time ..is music when in an accompaniment like this .A very talented pair you both are .
Old 10-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Truly original as always, Shawlie. Kinda funny too........ Well done.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:30 PM

Wow Shawlie! Now that is so cool. Nice recording. I swear I could hear a frog croaking in there somewhere and I mean that in the most sincere way! Keep up the awesome work.

Taylor DN3
Fender Deluxe Players Strat
Boss BR 1600CD
Zoom H4n
Dell XPS M1640
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Monitor Headphones
Old 10-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Nice shawlie!

That was a cool and fun original.
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 AM

Thanks for listening to the song and the kind words - we appreciate the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratt2828 View Post
I swear I could hear a frog croaking in there somewhere and I mean that in the most sincere way!
It might be either the jaw harp or that wooden thing you scrape (maybe it's called an Agogo?). I guess it does sound like a frog here and there - in the summer, they are croaking all over the place here and they can be sooo loud. But great to watch when you can walk up to one without it hopping away into the water!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Wow, another one of those songs from you that makes my foot tap. It's a very catchy melody, too. I think you used all the instruments conservatively enough that it didn't sound cluttered at all; it added something to the song. Very cool!
Christian
Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Really very good. Quite fun to listen to, front to back. Nice song, nice mixture of instruments/voices. Great arrangement. Great production.

Cool !
Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 AM

Thanks birkenweg and Marshall. I did try to only use them for half the beats, mostly - clapping all the time, but not always the tamborine and things. And only washboard in the bridge, etc.

Which was a lot of fun to try - took all day to record it and mix it (a whole lot longer than actually writing it and doing the guitar part).

Old 10-12-2010, 03:15 PM

Another masterpiece from the dynamic duo, not messy at all.
Great lyrics, and lots of fun.
Just wondering, how many tracks were used, and how many separate recording takes were needed?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:18 PM

Oh rapture! Oh joy! Oh poop! poop! - Mr. Toad (Wind in the Willows)

Maybe it was Mr. Toad that stratt2828 heard.

Shawlie, you and Martha are such a gift. Thanks for bringing grin to my face this evening.

Best Always,

Taylor 555 '82
Martin DM '97
Yamaha EZ-AG
Washburn Rover /w Fishman Matrix Infinity UST
Shen SB-100 (double bass) 2010
Old 10-13-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMetaphore View Post
Lots of good examples to learn from for me in there Shawlie .A great example of the person making music ,not the instruments .I smiled impulsively untill i laughed out loud .Even a clap as you say in the right hand at the right time ..is music when in an accompaniment like this .A very talented pair you both are .
I couldn't have said it better! Great stuff, Shawlie! I love how you used the slide whistle and jaw harp. Excellent sound, arrangement and lyrics!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 PM

Thanks for listening, Bob, Mr. Dave and Papa Joe.

Papa Joe - I think I used maybe 13 tracks. It took about an hour to get the clapping right (two tracks). It was ok, but messy when I started putting other things to it. So I cut up both tracks into single claps, move them around a little bit and change the volume to a lot of the claps (had some compression, but many were still too loud).

The rest - I don't know, for the whistle, slide guitar and harmonics I think I did five times each to get a few seconds I could use. I have no idea how people play slide guitar so clean, it is amazing how they do it.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:35 PM

Shawlie - GREAT...I love that type of percussion, and it sat perfectly in the mix.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell