The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-30-2010, 01:43 PM

Default UST voicing/fitting (low E too quiet)

Hi all!
I'm new here so don't mind my possibly redundant question. I have years of electronics DIY experience, but only recently moved onto doing my own repairs on guitars. Challenge - UST. Its a Fishman AG-125 and the low E string is noticeably quieter.
Originally I thought that it has too little pressure from the saddle, so I took some material off the middle strings to give it a little arch (a little more that 1/64"). This did not solve the problem. Then I read in advanced installation instructions that sometimes the pickup reacts in reverse: more pressure - less volume. The saddle is too high at this point so I have a lot of wiggle room to trim it down and re-shape for a reversed arch in the middle.
I read several topics here mentioning string imbalance with USTs. Often the solution was :"Take it to the tech for voicing" or "My technician voiced it and now it sounds great". Can anyone please elaborate on what is this voicing process? God knows by guitar needs it.

Thank you very much in advance! Great resource for all acoustic players!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:10 PM

No idea about revoicing, but I did have a UST with a similar problem. I had to replace it.

My UST had individual elements for each string position. I pulled out the saddle and tested each position by tapping on it (while amplified). That was how I discovered that one of the elements was dead.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 AM

Default Can anyone please elaborate on what is this voicing process?

Shim, restring, listen, redo. Repeat until balance is tolerable.

Plan B: Eschew quacksticks, go to SBTs.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:28 PM

There can be several things:

- The bottom of the saddle slot could be not flat.
- Make sure the saddle is slightly loose in the slot.
- Since the saddle is slightly loose, there is a slight forward lean, therefore, the saddle bottom should be at a very slight angle.
- The wire for the transducer could be pinched going through the soundboard.
- The end of the transducer is too close to the first sting.

Oh, also, if the E string is more quite acoustically, it would be more quite for the pickup also. I figured this would be obvious, but you never mention if the E is natrually more quite
Ibanez ATK700-BM

ZT Acoustic Amplifier

Psalms 108:1-3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair