The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 06:15 AM

Back when I was in HS and rocks were still warm, brass trim was The Thing for electric guitars.

So for their April issue, Guitar World commissioned a guitar built entirely of brass save for the required insulation.

The thing weighed 75lbs.

You needed an engine hoist, and presumably steel-toed shoes, to play the thing.

But the SUSTAIN. . . .
Old 01-17-2020, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

I have noticed that most Taylor's I pick up feel substantially heavier than my Breedloves and Martin's.

I also have a Yamaha SA2200 semi hollow. Great guitar but it weighs a touch over 8lbs. (Measured with a scale). I recently picked up a Collings i30 which weighs in at just over 5lbs.
The difference is huge.

I play with a strap even while sitting. Some things that I noticed:

It is easier on my neck when I don't look at my fret hand on the Yamaha. I think the length of the neck from the heel to the headstock contributes to that although the Collings is actually longer. The neck balance also contributes.

I put a large padded bass strap on the Yamaha which helps a lot but the Collings is noticeably more comfortable.

In my case it was great justification for buying a newer more expensive guitar
Old 01-17-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I have noticed that most Taylor's I pick up feel substantially heavier than my Breedloves and Martin's.

I also have a Yamaha SA2200 semi hollow. Great guitar but it weighs a touch over 8lbs. (Measured with a scale). I recently picked up a Collings i30 which weighs in at just over 5lbs.
The difference is huge.

I play with a strap even while sitting. Some things that I noticed:

It is easier on my neck when I don't look at my fret hand on the Yamaha. I think the length of the neck from the heel to the headstock contributes to that although the Collings is actually longer. The neck balance also contributes.

I put a large padded bass strap on the Yamaha which helps a lot but the Collings is noticeably more comfortable.

In my case it was great justification for buying a newer more expensive guitar
Wow! 8 lbs? Now I feel guilty for complaining about 4.6 lol
Old 01-17-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyguitardj View Post
Wow! 8 lbs? Now I feel guilty for complaining about 4.6 lol
A lot of electrics are heavy. Les Paul's are typically 8 and up. My Yamaha is a ES 335 style and those tend to be heavier as well.

The only reason I bought the Collings is because of the weight of the Yamaha. I love everything else about it.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:27 PM

I used to own a Taylor 514ce that weighed in right at 4 lbs. It always felt noticeably lighter than my other guitars. On the other end of the spectrum I own a Sterling by Musicman 5 string bass that weighs a whopping 15.5 lbs! That bass sounds and looks killer but it wears me out pretty quickly.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotabison View Post
I used to own a Taylor 514ce that weighed in right at 4 lbs. It always felt noticeably lighter than my other guitars. On the other end of the spectrum I own a Sterling by Musicman 5 string bass that weighs a whopping 15.5 lbs! That bass sounds and looks killer but it wears me out pretty quickly.
Better play that baby sitting down!

Do you happen to know about the weight of a 614ce? Just had someone offer to sell it to me but I didn't feel like I should fork out that kind of money.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion