The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-11-2020, 07:42 PM

Default Soundcloud help please

I just joined a site(Bandmix.com) to reach other performing musicians. The people have sound clips of themselves on their pages and I too would like to do this. I can’t seem to find how you record your music to Soundcloud and would really like to know before I open an account. I use an iPad Pro as my only device aside from my iphone.
It seems BandMix prefers this transfer method from Soundcloud.
Can someone give me a quick tutorial please?
Thank you,
Frank D.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

If you are talking about recording and posting directly to Soundcloud from you iOS device ?
I have not done that I record on my home recording system then export a wav. file to my desktop and then upload that to soundcloud Wich is also probably what some Bandmix members are doing

That said here is a video I just stumbled on that seems to be what you are referring to

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-11-2020, 08:52 PM

Is that how soundcloud works? You have to import a finished product to it, not develop the work on it? I don’t think it’s what I was thinking. So I would record on garageband and then move the file to soundcloud then move that file to bandmix?
That Voice Record Pro app looks to be the better way to go. Thank you very much KevWind!

Last edited by Chickee; 01-11-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Is that how soundcloud works? You have to import a finished product to it, not develop the work on it?
That's how I've always done it, and understood it. It's definitely not for developing work. I guess there are ways to record directly to it, but that does not seem optimal.

Quote:
So I would record on garageband and then move the file to soundcloud...
I think that would work better. You have more control. I usually convert a wav to much smaller file size mp3 (or now m4a) in iTunes since a free soundcloud account is size-limited (I think).

BandMix looks like a musician hook-up/getting groups together site. Best of luck!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-11-2020, 10:50 PM

Yes, this is how I"ve done it. Fully develop a file (ie: Wav) and then the SC site easily allows an upload.
I've heard from others that, if possible it's best to upload a Wav file, as SC does compress a file. So, you don't want to compress an already compressed Mp3 file as it would run the risk of sounding "muddy" or not its best quality.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-11-2020, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

There are several recording apps available for your iPad that will upload directly to SoundCloud. GarageBand, music memos, multitrack daw.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is that how soundcloud works? You have to import a finished product to it, not develop the work on it? I don’t think it’s what I was thinking. So I would record on garageband and then move the file to soundcloud then move that file to bandmix?
That Voice Record Pro app looks to be the better way to go. Thank you very much KevWind!
Yes , Soundcloud is basically a music file sharing site. Not a music file creation site.

Better ? It is an option, but much depends what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

I am not familiar with the Voice Record app and the video does not say what file format it is sending to SoundCloud. But for simple archiving and not necessarily for the quality of sound itself, it may be fine.

I am also not familiar with Bandmix, but I am guessing that the reason they want you use SoundCloud is to not use up bandwidth on the Bandmix site.
The way I understand it with Soundcloud the file actually resides on Soundcloud and allows you to simply embed a link to that specific file on a 3rd party forum like Bandmix, or AGF, that can be opened directly from the 3rd parties web sight
Like this :

This was recorded to Pro Tools in 24 bit 48 khz then exported to Sound Cloud as a full wav. file
But is being played back in the compressed format SoundCloud is using now for direct streaming.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 01-12-2020, 08:32 AM

Thank you all for giving support to this technically challenged nincompoop!
I will try the Voice Record Pro app since I can’t figure out how to transfer a file from GarageBand into soundcloud!

Oh, BTW KevWind, VoiceRecord is in an mp4 format they said in the clip. Is that good, bad, indifferent?

Thank you again folks,
Frank D.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you all for giving support to this technically challenged nincompoop!
I will try the Voice Record Pro app since I can’t figure out how to transfer a file from GarageBand into soundcloud!

Oh, BTW KevWind, VoiceRecord is in an mp4 format they said in the clip. Is that good, bad, indifferent?

Thank you again folks,
Frank D.
I do not use Mp4 for audio export so I don't know how it compares but again if the purpose is simply to meet up with other musicians (And not to collaborate via file sharing) I would guess it would fine.

I should think GB would have the export option to select the desktop as a location ? But I don't use GB so I am not certain.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-12-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

A DAW will allow the user to export the final "mix" of a tune to a wav file, mp3 file or other file formats. I upload wav files to soundcloud. Some online places, like Reverbnation, only allow mp3 uploads.

To summarize, you save the output file on your computer and then upload the file to a music website. Most everyone that I have contact with always edits/"mixes" their music files first, i.e.: eq, reverb, noise removal, etc, before uploading.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-12-2020, 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=KevWind;6262927].... but again if the purpose is simply to meet up with other musicians (And not to collaborate via file sharing)[r/QUOTE]

it’s strictly for quick evaluation to decide if you want to contact that musician. No collaboration.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

it’s strictly for quick evaluation to decide if you want to contact that musician. No collaboration.
If you don't put your best foot forward, it will be a really quick evaluation.

Even though I'm just a hobbyist, I have learned to restrict my uploads to my best possible sound effort at the moment, with the exception of string/guitar demos. Of course I always go back and find mistakes and think I could have done better. As a result a lot of my online file uploads get moved to "private" status

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-12-2020, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Ok hey I was curious so I just opened up GB on my Macbook Air and the under "Share" tab in the top toolbar, "Song to Soundcloud" was the fourth option in the drop down, is it not there in iOS iPad app GB version ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-12-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ok hey I was curious so I just opened up GB on my Macbook Air and the under "Share" tab in the top toolbar, "Song to Soundcloud" was the fourth option in the drop down, is it not there in iOS iPad app GB version ?
Kev,
Please tell me where the share function is in this tool bar?

Attachment 31807

Last edited by Chickee; 07-08-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:51 AM

Never mind...I succumbed to a YouTube tutorial and am trying to follow along best I can.
It seems the only time a share option appears is when a project is finished, and of course I can’t figure out how to let GarageBand know the project is completed. Down the rabbit hole I go.

Thank you all again for your patience, it really is appreciated!
Frank D.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD