The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-25-2019, 01:24 PM

Default neck query

Hi, im building 2-3 guitars after not building any since the 1980`s.
i dug out this nice piece of perfectly quartered and straight grained sapele out of my wood pile. How should i cut this up and how many necks could i get from it. Im making Martin 00 and 0M .
the piece is 95mm square by 1 metre. Its been seasoning for at least 30 years. The guitar i made was using a scarf joint at the pegbox end and cant remember if i used a stacked heel block at the other end but definitely a dovetailed neck joint. Im behind the times with latest methods.
thanks
[IMG]P1130160 by bob smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

P1130162 by bob smith, on Flickr
Old 12-26-2019, 08:02 AM

If you want a one piece neck then you should be able to get two necks out of that block. I make a cardboard cut out of the side profile of the neck. Then draft that out congruently on the side of the block and cut the shapes out with a band saw. Typically you want the vertical grain to be perpendicular to the fretboard surface.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:49 AM

Or, 4 necks with scarf joints, wings, and stacked heels.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:34 PM

My philosophy is to make one-piece necks whenever possible. Thick lumber that is suitable for necks is always in short supply, while 1" lumber for pieced necks is much easier to get.
The nested layout for bandsawing two 14 fret necks can be accomplished with a 24" long block, with one heel on each end.
Even when I have made a pieced neck, I have never used a stacked heel. The heel can be made from one piece of thick lumber, or from two pieces laminated vertically. IMHO, either one is preferable to a stacked heel aesthetically.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
If you want a one piece neck then you should be able to get two necks out of that block. I make a cardboard cut out of the side profile of the neck. Then draft that out congruently on the side of the block and cut the shapes out with a band saw. Typically you want the vertical grain to be perpendicular to the fretboard surface.
Thanks, i think thats what i`ll be doing this time rather than stacking heels etc.. i can use the waste for tail and neck blocks.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Or, 4 necks with scarf joints, wings, and stacked heels.
Thanks
Probably make the one piece necks ,but i can see what you mean by ripping into 4 boards.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
My philosophy is to make one-piece necks whenever possible. Thick lumber that is suitable for necks is always in short supply, while 1" lumber for pieced necks is much easier to get.
The nested layout for bandsawing two 14 fret necks can be accomplished with a 24" long block, with one heel on each end.
Even when I have made a pieced neck, I have never used a stacked heel. The heel can be made from one piece of thick lumber, or from two pieces laminated vertically. IMHO, either one is preferable to a stacked heel aesthetically.
Thanks i will be going with the one piece necks ,its what im used to doing with violins and cellos.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:17 PM

I like to do what John said as well. If you have a block big enough then make a one piece neck. When I make laminate nicks though I like to stack the heel. When it's all made from the same piece it matches perfectly and sometimes you can hardly even tell it's stacked. Some will alter the stacked pieces to the annular rings form like a parquet floor look thinking that it makes it stronger, IDK about that but it gives an interesting look anyway.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:55 PM

Default A thought

I won't try to contradict folks who for sure have more experience than me, but (we all knew THAT was coming) a scarf joint at the headstock and stacked heels will get as much of that nice piece of wood playing music as is possible rather than have the cutoff bits heating the house...
Old 12-26-2019, 05:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am a one piece neck advocate. Partly aesthetic, and partly because it is less labor. Sapele will likely be a bit heavy feeling, but should work well enough.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:52 PM

I like one piece necks aesthetically, but, i feel scarfed necks are stronger, for this reason i always teach and recommend people use a scarfed neck.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair