The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-27-2019, 02:59 PM

Default Home recording recommendations

Hello all,
I've been recording tracks with my Olympus voice recorder and know that it's time for an upgrade. I would like to record on one track - just my voice and guitar in my living room. Would you happen to have any recommendations?
Thank you!
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove
Old 12-27-2019, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Do you have an iPad? There are lots of decent mics for them, and you can use the included app called music memos. It is dead simple and will upload directly to your sound cloud page.

Edit--if no ipad, get a good usb mic and record into audacity on your desktop--a free DAW.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:44 PM

Find yourself a used Zoom H2n. Great little recorder, very flexible, good dynamic FX (limiter, compression, etc), FIVE mic capsules (stereo XY, Surround, 4 channel to stereo, and mid-side). I've had mine for a few years, and won't part with it.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:47 PM

+1 on the Zoom. They are roughly the same size as an Olympus recorder but FAR better in quality.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-27-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

If you are strictly looking for a standalone digital recorder, I'd suggest maybe pushing the budget to the level of something that has a couple XLR inputs, so you have the option of plugging in a couple separate mics as well, to give you some balance between voice and guitar that is hard to achieve with a single mic, or a small XY configuration that these units have.

I'm a Zoom fan - still have the original H2, and used an H6 for years. Now I've got an F8 and F8n. The Zoom H4n Pro is the lowest Zoom model with XLR inputs. There are other manufacturers, of course, so check reviews, etc.

Get a boom mic stand with an adapter (or two!) that will allow you a lot of flexibility in how you position the recorder so you can get the best results.

There are lots of other ways to do this, of course, many already suggested. To some degree it depends on what you want to do with the recording, i.e., what kind of end result are you hoping to achieve, what will you do with the recordings once completed, and how technically involved you want to get in that process.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvibrational View Post
Hello all,
I've been recording tracks with my Olympus voice recorder and know that it's time for an upgrade. I would like to record on one track - just my voice and guitar in my living room. Would you happen to have any recommendations?
Thank you!
Hi hv

I'm going to recommend the Zoom H1n (the 'n' is important). The older H1 units are still 'out-there' but do work as easily as the H1n.

The H1n the simplest field recorder Zoom makes. You can mount it on a camera tripod, or a mic stand, or lay it on a desk and point it in your general direction. Hit the record button and go. Great fidelity, and ease of use. And it has features that grow with you should you decide to be more detailed about the process.

You asked about one track recording, and finding high quality single channel recorders is a challenge these days. Most field recorders at least record in stereo, but it's easy to mix stereo tracks down to mono if that's what you like. Lots of free software to do that in post production on a computer.

I own several Zoom field recorders - an H1n, H2n, H4n and an older H4. They are all more than what you need, and the H1n is very simple to operate.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-30-2019, 09:29 AM

Default Thank you all!

I really appreciate your input!
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove
Old 12-30-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

I own both the Zoom H5N and a Spire Studio. I find I am using the Spire Studio more than the Zoom because it is easier for home recording especially if you are using external mics. The Spire also has the ability to record up to 8 tracks. The Zoom probably has the better on-board mics (their X-Y mic capsule and the internal pre-amp are very good) but the Spire especially with its iOS or Android interface is just easier.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-01-2020, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

I am new to the guitar and even newer to preserving my mistakes for posterity. Unfortunately, I find that the Zoom Hn4, as noted above, does just a splendid job. I have also used it to record the small group of folks I duff around with. And it is remarkably capable in that context as well. Recently, I recorded a session by mounting it on a table top tripod and just set it on the floor about six feet away from the center player. It captured about 160 degrees of sound in a very balanced way with the on-board mikes. At basically the height and width of a cell phone (though significantly deeper) it just disappeared. I have done no editing or any other stuff with it. But it is good to know that the data is there in good quality if I decide to. Highly recommended.
David
Old 01-01-2020, 11:55 AM

Anybody have comments on the Tascam DR-05X?

Thanks,
bel
Old 01-01-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beljum View Post

Thanks,
bel
I was going to recommend Tascam, but I thought because the OP only wanted two channels it may be overkill. However if he does get a Tascam, and later on a friend wants to add a base line, then maybe drums. He will be able to. Or lead guitar then rhythm.

ED
Old 01-01-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beljum View Post

Thanks,
bel
I have the earlier DR-05 version. It's FAR superior to its Zoom equivalent, the H1. I had the H1 originally and disliked it.

The DR-05 recorders have omni mics which are a bit different than the cardiod capsules in the H1, but not all that different in actual use.

I highly recommend the Tascam DR-05 (or X) for a simple and easy to use recorder.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:37 AM

I have a DR-05 as well. Inexpensive, simple to use, excellent recording quality.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I believe I'm steering towards the Tascam DR05x.

bel
Old 01-02-2020, 12:53 PM

I also have the Tascam DR-05. It's a good recorder for the price and in my opinion easier to use than the Zoom models.

Just make sure you set it to record at 24 bit (44.1 Khz) recording quality and use the manual record level option, not the auto level setting.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD