The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Is it for intonation? Does it improve the volume or tone to get the strings closer to the bridge? I see some people that sand it to lower the action. Why is adjusting the truss rod not sufficient enough to lower the action? I would assume that since the truss rod takes bow in or out of the neck that maybe no matter how much you adjust it, you could still have high action if the nut and saddle are too high. It would seem to me that the nut would affect the height of the strings more than the saddle since the saddle is not part of the neck.
Truss rod adjusts relief, saddle height is reduced to lower action until you can’t anymore, then neck is reset and the process starts over. The truss rod can bow the neck as needed to provide enough relief but can’t change the neck angle.
Cranking on the truss rod to lower action can lead to expensive tragic occurrences. Friends don’t let friends adjust truss rods to lower the action.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 10-09-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
Truss rod adjusts relief, saddle height is reduced to lower action until you can’t anymore, then neck is reset and the process starts over. The truss rod can bow the neck as needed to provide enough relief but can’t change the neck angle.
Cranking on the truss rod to lower action can lead to expensive tragic occurrences. Friends don’t let friends adjust truss rods to lower the action.
Adjusting the truss rod doesn't hurt a thing as long as it's only a quarter turn. Been doing it for ten years (yes it actually does help with lowering action) and none of my guitars have exploded. If quarter turn doesn't do the trick than other options need to be considered.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Is it for intonation? Does it improve the volume or tone to get the strings closer to the bridge? I see some people that sand it to lower the action. Why is adjusting the truss rod not sufficient enough to lower the action? I would assume that since the truss rod takes bow in or out of the neck that maybe no matter how much you adjust it, you could still have high action if the nut and saddle are too high. It would seem to me that the nut would affect the height of the strings more than the saddle since the saddle is not part of the neck.

Sometimes I think that I wouldn't even pay attention to this stuff if I hadn't heard about it from somebody somewhere and it gets me worrying about stuff I would not have worried about if I had never heard about it in the first place. I have tweaked my truss rods for years but never touched the nut and saddle unless I have had my tech that I use switch them out.
The primary purpose of the truss rod is not to adjust string height, it's to adjust neck bow. Which is a very small amount.
The second worst thing a person can to to adjust string height, is to shave the bridge.
Both are OK if you hate your instrument.

Ed
Old 12-20-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
The primary purpose of the truss rod is not to adjust string height, it's to adjust neck bow. Which is a very small amount.
The second worst thing a person can to to adjust string height, is to shave the bridge.
Both are OK if you hate your instrument.
^Not sure if that was written "tongue in cheek"

But if not - how would somebody correctly lower action? I'm not a luthier, but it seems that if truss rod and saddle height are off the table, the only other possibility would be a neck reset. It would be pretty tedious and expensive if neck angle was the only avenue for adjusting actions...
Old 12-20-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
Simple answer:

The truss rod only controls the relative straightness of the neck by adjusting its curvature, it does not by itself enable consistently low action up and down the neck.

To get a proper set-up, the neck curvature (truss rod) and string height (bridge) have to be adjusted in tandem.

I can't believe in four pages no one has questioned this diagram. It looks completely backwards. The marks indicating where the fret buzz would be as well as the direction to turn the truss rod are just the opposite.
After a quick Google search I just did, I noticed this comes up right away too. Yikes.

Here is a good, correct source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAg6Kvbr_OU

P.S. Asking for a simple answer on a guitar forum is asking A LOT. :P

Last edited by gitarpraz; 12-20-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
Simple answer:

The truss rod only controls the relative straightness of the neck by adjusting its curvature, it does not by itself enable consistently low action up and down the neck.

To get a proper set-up, the neck curvature (truss rod) and string height (bridge) have to be adjusted in tandem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarpraz View Post
I can't believe in four pages no one has questioned this diagram. It looks completely backwards. The marks indicating where the fret buzz would be as well as the direction to turn the truss rod are just the opposite.
After a quick Google search I just did, I noticed this comes up right away too. Yikes.

Here is a good, correct source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAg6Kvbr_OU

P.S. Asking for a simple answer on a guitar forum is asking A LOT. :P
What is screwed up with this is in the diagrams the strings are curved/bowed in the way that the neck is. The strings should be in a straight line from nut to saddle.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:36 PM

"But if not - how would somebody correctly lower action? I'm not a luthier, but it seems that if truss rod and saddle height are off the table,"

I think you are confusing 'bridge' and 'saddle'. Shaving the bridge is not recommended (with some caveats), but shaving the saddle is OK, within limits. In general, the minimum saddle height above the bridge is about 1/16", while the minimum bridge thickness is 5/16" (Martin spec).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair