The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-14-2019, 07:43 AM

Default Understanding all the different strings

I’m just getting back to playing after taking almost 15 years off. Sad, I know.

There are so many varieties of strings now. Can you help me understand all the varieties - especially some of the new ones?

So you know what I’m stringing up, I just bought a new Martin 000-28 Modern Deluxe. It’s amazing.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:44 AM

It's amazing due, in part, to the strings that are on it. That should be your baseline and what you come back to if stuck between strings. My recommendation is to buy 5 or 6 sets of strings similar to your "amazing" strings and find what you like. I find very little correlation between what most of us rabble like and what other's would like. The usual suspects are; Martin (which you have), D'Addario, John Pearse, Elixir, Curt Mangan, Gibson. Other's have less popular string brands they like but these will get you started and experimenting for a while.

Once I find a "type" of string that I feel sounds great on a new guitar, I might dabble around that type (80/20, PB, Nickel...) on that guitar. Strings have as much influence on how you like the tone of a guitar as your playing style so spend the time and enjoy keeping notes on how you like each string brand and type.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:47 AM

Can I assume that the recommended strings came on the guitar? I bought it at a shop but the guy pulled it out of storage and said I was literally the first guy to play it.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...modern-deluxe/

I can’t really bend the strings. They don’t feel light. About to get a pickup installed so I think he’ll have to change them.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
Can I assume that the recommended strings came on the guitar? I bought it at a shop but the guy pulled it out of storage and said I was literally the first guy to play it. ...
A big fat yes to me.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
Can I assume that the recommended strings came on the guitar? I bought it at a shop but the guy pulled it out of storage and said I was literally the first guy to play it.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...modern-deluxe/

I can’t really bend the strings. They don’t feel light. About to get a pickup installed so I think he’ll have to change them.
If those are the strings on your guitar, I'll add that the 12/54s are very common across a bunch of Martins, including models as different from one another as my GPC-28E and Road Series GPRS1. I'm more of a strummer and occasional finger picker anyway and rarely try to bend strings but I wonder if different string materials are more bendy than others. I certainly don't know!

Awesome guitar, congrats.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:42 PM

I agree with others about staying with what it came with as you love the sound. But........it never hurts to experiment, especially if you are finding bending hard. Round core strings have less tension and are easier to bend. Try DR Sunbeam phosphor bronze lights which are 12-54, same gauge as you have now.

Congratulations on returning to the guitar, you have started back with an amazing instrument.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:16 PM

Just a note. Cut the front label or box label off the strings you like and stick it in your guitar case. Otherwise if you are like me, you will forget what you liked.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Just a note. Cut the front label or box label off the strings you like and stick it in your guitar case. Otherwise if you are like me, you will forget what you liked.
I do that as well. I also write the date on it that I installed them.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:57 AM

Your Martin is “amazing” as you say so why not do nothing till you find it no longer amazing?

And, as an aside, I suspect your Martin was shipped with a set of Authentic Phosphor Bronze MA540T. I have tried a number of sets on my 000-28 have settled on the MA540T as I find them perfect for my style on this particular guitar.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:23 PM

[emoji3] I just got it Friday. And I’ve never put strings on it. It’s the Modern Deluxe 000-28. Some people previously thought it had the strings recommended on their page - Lifespan P/B lights. You disagree? Will def try the ones you mention.

Mainly asking as I have a pickup install this week and am pretty sure will have to restring it. (Right?)
Old 12-15-2019, 02:27 PM

Default Understanding all the different strings

And... I just realized you mentioned the same strings. [emoji3] sorry about that.

Have you tried mediums on them?

Are lifespans coated?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification