The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-13-2015, 06:51 AM

Default La Patrie Presentation opinions as first Nylon string?

I'm looking at venturing into the world of nylon string guitars and I have seen one of these locally, used, in great shape and with tricase, for well under half price. I have read some good reviews and heard some nice sounding YouTube videos of the collection, which I understand to be the same Guitar but gloss instead of satin. What are your thoughts on the presentation? I've read that it doesn't have the typical classical sound and that Celtic, folk and western styles sound good on it because of this. Have you played the presentation? If so, what are your thoughts on this little nylon string as a first foray into the world of classical style guitars?

Also, is the neck a proverbial baseball bat or will adjusting from my 1 & 3/4" steel strings not be such a chore? I'm looking at this Guitar as being my couch composer/leave at the girlfriend's and busking tool, due to the light weight, with case, that I'm expecting it all to come in at. How does the size of this Guitar compare to something like the Taylor GS mini, could I travel really with it for instance?And last question, does this little La Patrie strum well, with fingers that is?

Thanks for taking the time to read my endless list of questions, any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks ☺
Old 04-15-2015, 07:50 PM

The Presentation was my first nylon string several years ago. I think it is an excellent choice. The neck is wider and more traditional than those found on "hybrid" or "crossover" models, but is not at all uncomfortable (and I have small hands). Nice sounding guitar. I don't play it as much now as I went to a higher level guitar, but it has certainly held up over the last 12 years or so.

Jon
Old 04-15-2015, 08:04 PM

Part 2. Sorry, internet went out before I completed the post and could not edit.

Typical Spanish sound? Well, it is not a Ramirez, but it will handle classical stuff with no difficulty. Mine has very strong bass with trebles less bright than my other classical. Handles anything fingerstyle: Celtic, Rock, Jazz. Cannot comment on strumming as I don't do that.

Jon
Old 04-16-2015, 06:01 AM

They are very fine entry level nylon string guitars. If you start getting serious about classical, you'll find you Will likely wish to upgrade in the future, but you should be able to spend many pleasant moons with the La Patrie.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-16-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
They are very fine entry level nylon string guitars. If you start getting serious about classical, you'll find you Will likely wish to upgrade in the future, but you should be able to spend many pleasant moons with the La Patrie.
I'm not so sure about the 'entry-level' tag. In terms of nylon string guitars, I started out with a La Patrie Motif - the parlour model - and then went more up-market with all-solid instruments. I'm on the verge of going back to another Motif, which I sold. It was a beautifully understated little guitar. I loved the satin finish, the action and build were spot on, and it sounded really good. My impression is that the Godin company somehow makes guitars for $300-1,000 that other companies charge $1500-2,500 for.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I'm not so sure about the 'entry-level' tag.
Fair enough. And I agree with the other points you made. Just that it is a matter of perspective. For serious university level aspiring performers, a "student" guitar is often thought of as something anywhere from 1500 to 5000 dollars, and a "pro" guitar is often thought of as a handmade instrument from $5000 upwards. Of course, there are no "absolutes" in the usage of these terms, and that is why I state it is a matter of perspective.

Cheers!! ;-)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-16-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Fair enough. And I agree with the other points you made. Just that it is a matter of perspective. For serious university level aspiring performers, a "student" guitar is often thought of as something anywhere from 1500 to 5000 dollars, and a "pro" guitar is often thought of as a handmade instrument from $5000 upwards. Of course, there are no "absolutes" in the usage of these terms, and that is why I state it is a matter of perspective.

Cheers!! ;-)
Yes, I do agree. The Motif is not a top-level classical, as you say. However, it does compare very favorably with guitars costing quite a bit more.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:13 PM

My first nylon guitar was the Collection(not much difference) and have to say it was a nice choice. I play a Cordoba GK Pro Negra now and while the sound quality is quite a bit nicer, that La Patrie just had the best playability. nice and smooth neck, narrower fingerboard(made it an easier switch from electric guitar), and the sound was still good(not great, but good).
Old 04-29-2015, 03:49 PM

The Presentation is solid rosewood with a cedar top. I have the Concert which is solid mahogany/cedar. I don't think there is a better classical in that price range. I am very satisfied with mine. (I am by no means a real classical guitarist.)

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus

Last edited by alnico5; 04-29-2015 at 03:58 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical