The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-19-2010, 08:39 AM

Default Recommended Kits?

Searched this forum for "kits" and found nothing. Looks like serious builders here, where I hope to be one day. I'm thinking of starting with a kit, and haven't really seen any reviews. I'm looking at LMII's kits, decided against Martin, and unsure of Stew Mac. Any opinions would be much appreciated.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

LMI kits are more diverse than Stew Mac. You can pick your woods and what "prefabbing" you'd like done. Also, check out Blues Creek kits. He's a good guy to deal with.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:59 PM

+1 on Blues Creek, John is a great guy to deal with!!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:17 AM

John at Blues Creek is great to work with and can customize a kit to just about anything you want. His website is a little lacking, hard to navigate and doesn't tell you about all the things that he can do. But give him a call or send an email, and he'll get you what you want.

I purchased my first kit from LMI. Instructions are minimal. The video that you can get with it shows how to build an unserviced Steel String kit. If you buy anything other than that, you'll have to figure out some things on your own. Purchase a copy of Cumpiano's book as well as Kinkead's book to get some background on building procedures and techniques.

Be aware that no matter who you purchase a kit from, you'll most likely need to purchase a lot of tools. Even if you do some woodworking, a lot of luthier tools are specialty tools. There is nothing like having the right tool for the right job.
1986 Squire Fat Strat (Korean)
2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic
2007 Fender Standard Stratocaster (Mexican Strat)
2010 Guild F-47rc (Purchased in 2012)
2013 Home-made Stratocasters (x2)
2017 Martin GPCRSG

Last edited by mjudd; 09-30-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 PM

I built my first from a StewMac kit and it was pretty good - had a full scale blowup of the whoe thing. I had found the Kit Guitars Forum (google it), and got a lot of advice there, plus Bill Cory's (he founded that forum) books on building a kit guitar.
While there, I met John Hall from Blues Creek, and I agree, he's awesome to deal with and he's going to take some sides I bought on Ebay and bend them and add everything else thats needed to build a guitar from that.
My 2nd build is from Kenneth Michaels Guitars - ad at that forum, and in most cases, he includes the mold and other tools/devices you need to complete the build.
Both John and Ken will give you enormous amounts of help --- provided they get me off their backs! Seriously, they are very much involved with their customers and give excellent support.
Both of those guys will work with you on different materials for the back and sides and top, as well as neck.
LMI has a good "Wizard" for selecting and mixing and matching. StewMac is either Mahogany or Rosewood, with basic binding, etc.
Good luck. Post here when you start, and include lots of pics.
Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair