The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-09-2019, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default To mimic a 24" scale length

I have a 25 1/2" scale length guitar. To mimic a 24" scale length, could I put a capo on one of the frets and count 12 frets up from the capo, and measure that distance and double it? If it's 24" do I have a winner? Is there a better way to do this? I'd like to feel what a 24" scale is like.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-09-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
I have a 25 1/2" scale length guitar. To mimic a 24" scale length, could I put a capo on one of the frets and count 12 frets up from the capo, and measure that distance and double it? If it's 24" do I have a winner? Is there a better way to do this? I'd like to feel what a 24" scale is like.
Basically yes, though you'll have to tune it down to get the right tuning with the capo obviously, which may or may not require you to go up a string gauge. And you will have to cope with the fret makers being in different places if you look at them while playing.

It will probably not sound quite the same; fretted notes sound a little different to open strings - it may be less complex sounding.

Probably you want to capo the first fret.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:11 AM

Forget all the fancy math. Measure from the bridge saddle toward the nut and pick whichever fret ends up being closest the the 24" measurement.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

You really need to play a 24 inch scale guitar to know what it feels like...capoing up will give you some idea of the fret spacing but not the overall feel...my main player has a 24 inch scale....I am very comfortable with it and love the more supple feel of it....it requires a more relaxed playing style to hit its sweet spot which I like....a Taylor GS mini has a 23-1/2 inch scale I believe...drop into a Guitar Center and give one a spin if you can....
Old 11-09-2019, 07:26 AM

Capo at the first fret, and you'll be really close. You'll probably find you adapt very quickly. If you play much out of first position, in a jazz style for example, you pretty much can't tell the difference unless you look for it. The Byrdland had a 23.5" scale length, is essentially the Gibson 24.75" scale shortened by one fret, same as capoing at the first fret. I have a Kay-made Silvertone 1445 with a 24.2" scale length.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
You really need to play a 24 inch scale guitar to know what it feels like...capoing up will give you some idea of the fret spacing but not the overall feel...my main player has a 24 inch scale....I am very comfortable with it and love the more supple feel of it....it requires a more relaxed playing style to hit its sweet spot which I like....a Taylor GS mini has a 23-1/2 inch scale I believe...drop into a Guitar Center and give one a spin if you can....

Agreed. An Alvarez parlor has a scale length of 24.2” so you might try out one of those if you can find one. I find that I really like either 24.75” or 25” the best for the tone and feel that is most comfortable to me.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks. These are helpful suggestions. Will follow everyone's advice.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion