The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-08-2019, 05:20 PM

Default Takamini EG511ssc Acoustic?

Can anyone comment on this model? I've never played a Tacamini and I have been told that this is a good guitar, but I think that it may have been discontinued. It is supposed to have a solid top and back, with laminated sides. I'm wondering about the neck profile and the sound. Anyone have any opinions on this one?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:00 PM

The Tak G series are decent quality guitars that have a few downgrades from the 'Pro' Japanese lines.

Looks like Sapele w Spruce top. Back and top could be solid I'm unsure. Nice neck profile as a rule, slim but not wildly so. But not as good as the contoured one on Japanese lines. Also not the quality pickup and preamp of those. I think downgraded tuners too rather than Gotohs.

As a general player it would be a fine guitar but not as good a gigger as the pro lines.

Kris
Old 11-09-2019, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

The Pro Series is made in Japan, unlike the G’s, which I think are made in China.

I have played many a G series in Sam Ash and always left feeling they were heavy and lifeless. Not so with the Pros. I bought a P3DC from Sam Ash and also more recently the NEX shaped P3NC. Cedar top. The guitars a joy. The cedar top gives a real warm sound, and perhaps a growl. Beautiful singing guitars.

And obviously fantastic giggers. CTBII preamp is quite good.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the responses. Apparently it is a discontinued model with little info available on the internet. I currently have a Yamaha FG-800 with a K&K pickup installed. I was wondering how the Tacamini neck profile compared to the Yamaha or to a Martin MLO neck. The listed info on the back Sapele wood conflicts, some sites having it as laminated, and some as solid. I thought it might make a good solo gigging guitar with the electronics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion