The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
OP here. Thanks for the replies. If it's within reason (under $300), i may go ahead and get the bridge fixed and cracks glued. I have no expectations that it will be a dream guitar, but i do think i'd rather have it playable than just a wall decoration (which is what it is currently).

How much should i expect having the bridge replaced to cost?

For sure it's probably not even worth $100 in its current state (or even after it's repaired), but it's super special to me as my Granny and I were close.
Repair prices section at Chicago Music Exchange website shows $170 for a bridge reglue, of course you'll need a whole new bridge but those are available ($20 & up from Stewart-MacDonald). You could even replace the bridge yourself if you're good at that kind of thing, plenty of instructions for doing that on the web & youtube.

Replacement tuner knobs, $2-$3 each from StewMac. Shouldn't cost much to have a tech do that work (call around & ask, I recommend Chicago Music Exchange in the city or Guitar Works in Evanston).

Seems like a very worthwhile project to me!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I recommend Chicago Music Exchange in the city or Guitar Works in Evanston).

Seems like a very worthwhile project to me!
Perfect. I'm going to CME to buy a new guitar Saturday!!!! They have a special J-45 i've been waiting to buy for a couple of months. I guess i'll take this one with me and see what they say.

I've never done a bridge replacement, although i used to have the tools and did a few repairs here and there. We move so much, i just donated them to a local shop. Come to think of it......i should call them and see what they would charge since they know me and all....
Old 08-07-2019, 03:50 PM

Cool old guitar and great story! I've restored dozens of old guitars like that, and I would definitely restore that one if I were you. Based on the pictures and my own experience, here is list of possible/likely issues you will have restoring it.

Of course the obvious are the bridge, top cracks, and tuner buttons (which are easily replaced).

There will probably be some loose internal braces that will have to be reglued.

The neck will likely need a reset. If you put a straight edge across the frets it should align with the top of the bridge. Or just sight down the top of the frets toward the bridge.

I doubt that it has any sort of truss rod or neck reinforcement, so the neck likely has an up-bow. I've had reasonably good outcomes heating and clamping the neck to straighten it. If you want it to be a player, you can have a truss rod or carbon-fiber rods installed.

The top doesn't look like it is deformed too bad, and considering the finish wear on the neck, the frets still look remarkably good, but will probably need some leveling and dressing. If you want it to be a good player, you might consider refretting.

There are techs/luthiers around that should be able to do a quality job for under $500. We're not talking a pre-war Martin where using the wrong glue on a brace knocks the value down by thousands.... It's a family heirloom that is worn and shows battle scars, but deserves to be brought back to life.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:55 PM

Oh man!
That thing's got major mojo.

I'd never clean it, or even remove those strings.
All the dust, rust, even the decomposed plastic tuner knobs, help tell its wonderful story.

"Melody Ranch", I love it!

Last edited by Tico; 08-07-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
This is the guy to talk to;

http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/index.html

About a year ago, he rebuilt a similar guitar for one of the forum members and it turned out beautifully.

Check out the website, and give him a call
I remember that guitar. The owner posted tons of photos of the work in progress. Even involved an X brace conversion. Steve does great work. I have talked with him and his prices are more than reasonable.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
Cool old guitar and great story! I've restored dozens of old guitars like that, and I would definitely restore that one if I were you.
I would strongly recommend contacting stormin1155 to discuss any restoration plans and ask him if he would give you a quote to do the work. His email address, from the AGF public email service, is [email protected]
Old 08-07-2019, 05:02 PM

I wonder if you could do a Baxendale conversion on it.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:43 PM

Another good repair person to consider in the area is Marc Babin at babinguitars.com. He's in Hampshire, IL and has been my go-to guitar tech for ~10 years.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:55 AM

Well much work to do (top repair, new tuners (mice bites ?), new bridge...) with uncertain results.

I would just polish a bit, put used strings on and hang on the wall as a "Tribute to Grandma" who apparently inspired you to play guitar. ;-)
Old 08-29-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
This is the guy to talk to;

http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/index.html

About a year ago, he rebuilt a similar guitar for one of the forum members and it turned out beautifully.

Check out the website, and give him a call
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
As lowrider suggested, call Steve at http://vintageparlorguitars.com
He will be able to give you an idea of all potential problems and price to repair.
Just a quick update on this. I did contact Steve C @ vintageparlorguitars and we are working on it! Haven't finalized anything just yet, but he gave me 2 pricing options and both are very reasonable!
Old 08-29-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I wonder if you could do a Baxendale conversion on it.
This was my thought. Baxendale loves these old melody ranch guitars, and though it would cost about $1k, you’d have a guitar that played and sounded better than it did out of the factory, and you’d actually be able to use it.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 08-29-2019, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Just a quick update on this. I did contact Steve C @ vintageparlorguitars and we are working on it! Haven't finalized anything just yet, but he gave me 2 pricing options and both are very reasonable!
That is great news. Glad to hear that you have some options now on taking care of this family guitar.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-29-2019, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Glad to hear that this seems to be working out well...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-29-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
I would spend the money--within financial reason (if there is such a thing)--to have it restored to original condition: even if I were simply to hang it for exhibition. For me, it would mean the difference between looking at the past as lost to time, and bringing back the past as alive again for me: with my grandmother young and vital and my uncle a seven or eight year old boy.
I agree with the above. Take it to a really good Luthier.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Perfect. I'm going to CME to buy a new guitar Saturday!!!! They have a special J-45 i've been waiting to buy for a couple of months. I guess i'll take this one with me and see what they say.
Not sure where you live, but I would put in a very strong reference for Denny Rauen in Milwaukee. If you're on the North side (Evansville/Skokie and further), his shop might actually be closer (shorter drive), and his work is outstanding. Everything I have ever taken to him has come back in better shape than I thought possible, and as near as I can tell he treats every instrument that comes through his shop the same way as he treats historic instruments with "name" provenance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion