The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2014, 07:31 AM

Default Eastman Comment On Their Adi Top Sound!

I stumbled upon the following interesting comment over on the Blueridge/Eastman Forum that was supposedly made by a former Eastman employee named Pat. I had posted a previous thread asking about approx. how long it takes for an Adi top to open up so if this is true then that's a good thing! Of course it will only get better as it ages anyway.

"Adi is stiff as all hell, and we make the tops very thin so they vibrate and sound excellent right out of the box without needing that 5-10 year break in period."
Old 08-05-2014, 08:08 AM

I saw that same comment the other day. Interesting. I guess there's no way to know, is there? Not until we've had ours 5-10 years!

I will say that mine seems to need a few minutes of solid playing to warm up, something I haven't experienced with my Sitka top guitars. Or at least, I'd never noticed it. Maybe it's in my head!

Either way, I love the tone that comes out of mine!
Old 08-05-2014, 08:15 AM

If my E20p opens up any more it will need mufflers

A workmate played mine today and loved it he couldn't believe how loud it was. I know loud doesn't always mean good ,it's that too.

Cheers

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneHunter View Post
"Adi is stiff as all hell, and we make the tops very thin so they vibrate and sound excellent right out of the box without needing that 5-10 year break in period."
Has anyone measured the thickness of their Eastman red spruce tops? I'd love to know the numbers to compare with other makers.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 AM

I've had my E10D for around two years now, and all I can say is I love the tone that comes from it. It has matured since I bought it, but it sounded good from the start. I agree with Treenewt that it takes a few minutes to warm up for a newer model, but my E10D sounds sweet the moment I take it out of the case.

( @ )===:::
Old 08-05-2014, 10:33 AM

I haven't measured my E20p's top thickness, but I will say it took me a while to get used to the fairly conspicuous bowing of the top and bridge.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 08-05-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I will say that mine seems to need a few minutes of solid playing to warm up, something I haven't experienced with my Sitka top guitars. Or at least, I'd never noticed it. Maybe it's in my head!
I have an adi topped Eastman (AC420B) and Martin (D-18GE) and I'd agree, they both sound better after 20 minutes or so (not that there's anything wrong with how they sound right out of the case). I thought it was hogwash when others said it, but I'm convinced now. I never buy guitar for how it might sound in 10 years. What I hear today is what matters, and if it sounds better after a thousand gigs it's a bonus.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:44 AM

I have an RK with an Adi top and I'm surprised at how thin the top is.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Has anyone measured the thickness of their Eastman red spruce tops? I'd love to know the numbers to compare with other makers.
nevermind see below

Last edited by JP Richardson; 08-05-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just got 4.0mm on my e20om

OOPS Nevermind. I forgot about the soundhole reinforcement
Don't have a caliper thet will reach beyond it.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Of course it will only get better as it ages anyway.
Unless it gets worse.
Guitars tend to get more bassy as they age, so IMHO, the ideal new guitar is a little bright-sounding. The key is the word 'little'. Many newer red spruce factory guitars have been way overbuilt, but that is rapidly changing as the makers get a better handle on the extra stiffness.
I just played a Recording King RD-327 that is killer.
The first Eastman dreads (Sitka-topped) I played were underbraced, but the last few red spruce ones I have seen were fine.
Since stiffness is proportional to the cube of the thickness, the difference in top thickness should only be a few thousandths of an inch.
For example, if a 'standard' top thickness is 0.115" (2.9mm), and the goal is to reduce its stiffness by 20%, the thickness should be about 0.107" (2.7mm).
Old 08-05-2014, 01:03 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I wonder if they will implode. Many builders have underbuilt to get a great sound only to have the guitar fail over time. This is in no way a diatribe against Eastman or a snobbish comment, just making a statement of fact.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I just mic'd my 2010 E20OM at 0.1075". I'm curious to see some measurements from other guitars.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:54 PM

I own a 2011 E10D and several Martins.. The E10D is louder, more responsive, more resonant and has more bottom end and bass than any of my Martin Mahogany or Rosewood dreds and louder than any Martin that I have played.. My HD28V 2002 and 2005 D18V tops both measures .119" in thickness, the E10D Red Spruce top measures exactly .100". Thinnest top of any dred or Martin top that I have measured.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneHunter View Post
I'm very skeptical. This is assuming that all tops are the same thickness except for their generous thought to make "theirs" thinner. The little I know of guitar making would say the bracing would be changed before thinning the top anyway.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion