The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley2209 View Post
How'd you come by having that side by side with your Kostal? How'd it sound? I'm in the middle of discussing an offer on it, very good price for a used Greenfield Jason only has his base price listed so i'm not sure what's included with that altogether, the only added extra i'd want for definite would be a Venetian cutaway since adding anything else such as the Manzer wedge would put it outside of what i'm prepared to pay for a guitar atm because i have to pay 23.7% of the price on top upon import, darn tax man but then again a wait of up to two years would give me time to save up the extra needed, TOO MANY OPTIONS!

That Ryan is well....WAY OUT OF MY LEAGUE
this is hard to say because my friend is the one selling the greenfield! you can always ask him what he thought. he played the kostal too

you have pm

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Ericsong, Jason was my cicerone when i visited Ervin. i can't speak good enough words about him. amazing person and musician! i could play i guitar that he had just finished and i was mind-blown. i was afraid to say it, but i think i liked it more than Somogyi's. now that you say the same i know i am not crazy. sadly Jason's guitars are outside what i can pay, but he surely could build my dream guitar. enjoy it!
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 11-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_K View Post
i was afraid to say it, but i think i liked it more than Somogyi's. now that you say the same i know i am not crazy.
isn't that the truth? I played three Somogyi's recently and I feel like Jason's guitar is better than all three of them. The Somogyi I fell in love with earlier, I believe Jason built that one!

Jason really makes a very special instrument

studio shot teaser:

video how she looks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNEc6GzQxC8

video how she sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MadF...&feature=feedu

Old 11-09-2011, 05:12 PM

of course, Somogyi's guitar was completely out of this world, but i prefered the Jason Kostal. maybe because it fitted me better. i thought there was something wrong with me to prefer the Jason. i didn't dare saying it until you said it. the tone of both did impress me deeply, although being quite different.

maybe this comments will make Jason's price go higher one more digit automatically XD

who can't love a guitar built by somebody that learned to play guitar with Michael Hedges, by the way? (i absolutely love Michael's music and is one of my main influences)

i did try to play difficult natural harmonics harmonics (you know, first on 12th, then 7th, 5th, 4th...) and could play them way upper the neck than any other guitar i've ever played! Jason funnily asked me if i play harmonics up there usually. i said "yeah!" and he started scratching his head saying:"... i didn't know my guitars had so many harmonics up there!" XD

also, i thought Ervin's guitar could collapse if i breath too hard near it. they are uber-thin. Jason's guitars are built to be played and to endure more than Ervin's

i want to make clear that i don't say that Jason's guitars are better than Ervin's. i just liked it a bit more
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
Old 11-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

P_K, just emailed you

Old 11-10-2011, 03:28 AM

got it!!!
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
Old 11-13-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
i could play i guitar that he had just finished and i was mind-blown. i was afraid to say it, but i think i liked it more than Somogyi's. now that you say the same i know i am not crazy. sadly Jason's guitars are outside what i can pay, but he surely could build my dream guitar. enjoy it!
Hola! It wasn't a quilted mahogany dreadnought was it?
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:32 AM

Michael, i don't think it was your guitar the guitar i tried was a mod D and i played it by the end of May. i think yours was finished later. i absolutely loved it and it was just first strung last night. i can't imagine how this guitar would sound some days after...
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
Old 11-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Michael, i don't think it was your guitar the guitar i tried was a mod D and i played it by the end of May. i think yours was finished later. i absolutely loved it and it was just first strung last night. i can't imagine how this guitar would sound some days after...
Jason mentioned a Spanish guitarist had been one of the first people to play my guitar when it was first strung...
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Last edited by Michael Watts; 11-14-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:48 AM

Michael, i thought your guitar was built later! the guitar i played was absolutely impressive. i am spanish, so it is possible that it was me!

i visited Somogyi and Jason around late May this year during my last US tour. was your guitar ready then?

it is possible that it was your guitar, because i retuned it to dadgad and it was really mindblowing, so it seemed that it was really made for you! as i've said, what impressed me most is the amount of natural harmonics i could play on it (lots of them in the second and 3rd frets! and cristal clear without having to play them hard at all!)

congratulations. that is such an amazing guitar!
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Well at that time my guitar had just been strung up and I had Jason's here in the UK so yep, that was my baby!

It was built and voiced for DADGAD and absolutely excels at it, I'm a very happy guy! And yes, the harmonics are everywhere!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 11-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
And yes, the harmonics are everywhere!
isn't that the truth?!?

some fine details on this guitar that I missed and just noticed recently. The heel cap has a small contoured carve out ( noticed that, but not how it looks like one piece). Its very simple and elegant and kind of echos the headstock theme. Also, I can't even find the seam between the binding and the heelcap. basically looks like the binding and the heel cap are one piece. I know it shouldn't be, but they are joined flawlessly

Last edited by ericcsong; 11-15-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

That is one awesome guitar. Congratulations!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Michael, i love to hear that it was your gutiar. it was the guitar that impressed me so much. i'm sure i didn't leave any ding on it wonderful voice, stunning looks and gorgeous resonance!

and yes, it was amazingly voiced for dadgad. Jason really know what he does

by the way, you have an email from me
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
Old 11-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I love Greenfields too and I think if I played the Greenfield above 2 years ago, it would have been a top contender to buy. But thats until I played a Somogyi. I think you'll hear that a lot from those who have experienced a Somogyi
I guess I must be tone deaf, I played both (side by side) - I went with Greenfield.

Vic
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop